CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 08-24-2006, 06:44 PM   #1
Matt Early

Profile:
I am a PO in Mass. and I want to help build up sinking morale by holding a crossfit style team competition between us, Fire and EMT's. My Dept. and the local Fire Dept are about 500 strong each. We could also raise some $$ for charity. anyone ever do anything like this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Matt
Old 08-25-2006, 03:53 PM   #2
Charlie Reid

Profile:
I'm not affiliated with fire or police, so take what i say with a grain of salt, but i'd probably break it up into parts like the tactical strength challenge:

Absolute strength-
Some max lift like a squat, deadlift, O-lifts (might be too technical) or maybe some strongman type lifting.

Bodyweight-relative strength/strength endurance

max pullups/max pushups either in one set or pick a time frame and do as many reps in that time frame as possible

Cardiovascular conditioning

2000m row, 5000m row, sprint triathlon 5k run, relay race, etc.

Those three categories seem to span the spectrum of fitness attributes to a reasonable degree. The important thing is to make sure that you pick things that dont necessarily provide too much skill for the participants, which could skew the results,
Old 08-25-2006, 05:16 PM   #3
Ahmik Jones

Profile:
Another idea is to do some WODs as relays.

For example:

two 5 man teams one from the police department, one from the fire department compete in "Helen":

One person from each team runs 400 meters, does 21 kb or db swings and 12 pull-ups then tags the next person on the team. You continue like this until all 5 people have done 3 rounds. This gives people who are not necesarily CrossFitters time to rest.

You could do this with just about any WOD that involves multiple rounds.

(Message edited by ahmik on August 25, 2006)
Old 08-25-2006, 09:17 PM   #4
Matt Early

Profile:
thanks for the ideas a few of us at work are brainstorming to come up with ideas as well. So far we have mentioned 5 man teams with events like a telephone pole carry,tire flips, some sort of run, we are still thinking though.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:09 AM   #5
Ralph Coates

Profile:
Great idea... a couple of points, (I'll be stating the obvious here, so please excuse me):

1) make them watchable - as interesting as it might be to us to see who can row 500m fastest, it doesn't make for great spectator viewing. Likewise, (and I don't mean to pick here) with the wod idea - it would be great entertainment for us, but most of the general public would just scratch their heads in bewilderment.

2) make them 'functional', (just used that word to annoy people). Events that vaguely relate to the role of a copper or fireman could be good. They don't have to bear much relation to reality - medley events etc can be fairly exciting and look impressive. Stuff like rescuing a casualty from a building and carrying him off somewhere/whatever, could combine a few different elements that are relevant to both police and fire - eg breaking a door in, carrying equipment in, whatever.

3) Team events are probably preferable to individual ones - the emergency services are teams afterall.

4) I dunno what the standard of firemen is like near you, but I reckon my watch could take your department in a doughnut eating contest any day of the week... We loooove the cake.

Like I say, this is stating the obvious and I'm sure you've thought of all this, but still... Good luck with it all, anyway, let us know how you get on.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:38 PM   #6
Dan Colson

Profile:
I like a team (5) chipper approach, incorporating a variety of exercises like 185 Deadlift x 100 (minimum of 10 per teamate), run 800m, when everyone returns 15 ascents of rope climb (extra points for no feet), becks burpees (burpee/push-up/broadjump) 100meters, Farmers walk 100m, Pull-ups 250, Run 400m (maybe add hurdles) and finish with 500 squats (100 each or tabata squats for lowest total)

Big numbers get peoples attention and the becks burpees would be entertaining, tire flipping or partner carries may be interesting as well.