CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 10-09-2006, 12:22 AM   #1
Jeremy S Barnett

Profile:
The gym I work at in Fl. is setting up a fitness challenge to recruit new members. We are giving away six 1-week memberships, 1-week of Cross Fit Training and 50% off a 1-yr. Membership with Cross Fit Training to the winners in each exercise and a (FREE 1-yr. membership, 1-yr Cross Fit Training and $100.00) to the overall winner for most reps completed in all exercises and best overall time in the truck push. We are setting it up for 3 hours on a Saturday and provide food and drinks. We charge $10.00/contestant to cover the cost of food, drinks, and the $100.00 cash prize. We're having our local Toyota dealership bring a Toyota Tundra to use for the truck push. They'll help to advertise for the event with radio commercials which helps bring more people to the event. We think this will be a great way to bring in new people to experience Cross Fit training and also see our facility.

Just thought other Cross Fitters might be interested in trying something similar to recruit new members.

Contestants are required to complete as many reps as possible for the exercises listed in the time required.

Ring Pull Ups-2min.
Ring Dips-2min.
Clean n Jerks 1/2 B.W.-2min.
Push-Ups--2min.
Sit-Ups--2min.
Toyota Tundra Truck Push--500ft. (best time)
Old 10-09-2006, 05:57 AM   #2
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
What will you do if someone isn't comfortable with a .5 BW clean & jerk?
Old 10-09-2006, 08:04 AM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Make it a short contest and just say first one to do a muscle up wins!....or that could last for weeks.:showoff:
Old 10-09-2006, 07:55 PM   #4
Troy Dodson

Profile:
Jeremy, You mentioned that this is to attract new members; is there any concern that something like this offered only to newbies would upset your current clients? I know my folks wouldn't be too happy about it.

FWIW - you will very likely get a lot of folks that don't have a clue what a C&J is....make sure you have a contigency plan :-)
Old 10-10-2006, 03:55 AM   #5
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
For new people 1 or 2 reps of each are going to do it! Ring dips could kill someone with the shaking and C&J 50% bw is dangerous if the person doesn't know how to drop the weight...I like the idea but may put more raw power events in there...like DL, sprints, sit-ups, and bw squats. If you want to put a C & J in there, use a DB or KB if your gym has one.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:14 AM   #6
Don Stevenson

Profile:
I agree that some of those events are a bit risky for complete beginners to try.

Here is how i'd modify the events to make it a bit more accessible.

Pull Ups-2min.
Row 500m
Dumbell snatch 1/3 B.W.-2min.
Push-Ups--2min.
Sit-Ups--2min.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:42 AM   #7
Brian Nesmith

Profile:
Are you be concerned about ringers? What if there are backyard Crossfitters in your area?

They would do quite well with such a test and you might not get the exposure you're looking for.

I'm speaking up because I'm such a person and would jump on such an oppurtunity.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:45 AM   #8
Jeremy S Barnett

Profile:
Thanks for all the great responses. I guess I need to rethink this plan a little further. I was hoping to use this to attract new people to our facility and hopefully get them interested in Cross Fit Training. I'm not really worried about people who may be in shape and fit enough to do well. I'm looking for anyone interested in coming out, having fun and hopefully becoming a member. As for my current clients becoming upset at this event I don't see this being an issue. We do similar events throughout the year for our current members so they wouldn't feel left out. They would know this is simply a promotional event to attract new members.

I like Don Stevensons suggestions:
Pull Ups-2min.
Row 500m
Dumbell snatch 1/3 B.W.-2min.
Push-Ups--2min.
Sit-Ups--2min.

This might be a safer way to go.

Thanks again for all the support and great ideas and suggetions.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:16 PM   #9
Joshua Murphy

Profile:
Jeremy -

I think Don's suggested way is the way to go. Why not invite some of your regulars to demo the oly lifts, ring skills, and some of the more challenging tasks?

Good luck!