CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
Hew Fung

Profile:
Shoes for GORUCK

I'm participating in a GORUCK Challenge in a couple weeks and I'm debating what shoes to wear. I've worn minimalist shoes (VFFs and Merrell Trail Gloves) exclusively for about 4.5 years and I've done up to a full marathon in the VFFs. Many sources recommend against minimalist footwear for the challenge due to the weights and distance involved, but I also initially adopted VFFs against "expert" advice. At this point, minimalist shoes are all I know and I'm very hesitant to run out and buy a more traditional pair of shoes and get adapted to them in just a few weeks. That said, I'd hate to DNF because I was a dumbass.

I've done up to 6 miles with the ruck in my Trail Gloves with no ill effects.

Does anyone have any first-hand knowledge of using minimalist shoes for a GRC?
Old 08-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
Patrick Weaver

Profile:
Re: Shoes for GORUCK

Is this the 12 hour challenge where you carry the back pack of bricks I think it is?
Old 08-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
Colin McLafferty

Profile:

I did GoRuck 046 in Merrell Trail Gloves (it's a minimalist shoe, not gloves).

Do you have a minimalist pair of shoes that aren't the VFFs? Something that is closed toe?

My only concern with VFFs would be rough terrain and being on hot sand and or pavement with rocky bits for a long time.

If you've rucked extensively on surfaces like that WITH jagged bits of rock and stone on those surfaces, I'd say go for it if you have no other pairs of shoes you feel comfortable in.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
Trey Jones

Profile:

Just finished GoRuck class 220 about 3 weeks ago. In no way would I recommend a minimalist shoes. I used a pair of Inov-8 Terroc 330. They worked fantastic. Not heavy so great while running then perfect for any rough terrain cause it has great traction. Another plus is when we did a 1.5 mile creek walk they drained and dried quickly for the rest of our 10 adventure.

Keep in mind you want to keep your feet happy. If they start hurting blistering your in for a miserable event.

I wear my Terroc 330 Daily at work. hold up great. I use them as trail running shoes often.

Get ready for some "Good Livin"

Here is some detail to my Challenge, i never got a chance to finish my blog on it so you just getting half the store but some pictures of my wrapped bricks.
http://tjonescrossfit.blogspot.com/2012/08/go-ruck.html

Shoes

http://www.zappos.com/inov-8-terroc-330-indigo-slate2

http://thunderinthenight.blogspot.co...oe-review.html
Old 08-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #5
Donald Rice

Profile:

I was in class 198 last June and I wore my New Balance Minimus with no problems. I read the same information you did about people not completing due to minimal shoes. Like you, I had been training in them for some time and was concerned. I think they are primarily referring to VFF in that warning, and I would agree with that. DO NOT attempt a GoRuck in VFF. However, your shoes will get wet... it will happen. So don't wear a bulky running shoe either. Stick with a light weight minimal style shoe and you will be fine. Also, don't forget at least two pairs of extra socks. Change them often to prevent blisters. We had a girls feet explode about 2 miles from the finish and we had to carry her the rest of the way. Good luck and welcome to the GoRuck Tough family.

GOOD LIVING
Old 08-30-2012, 04:14 AM   #6
Josh Wright

Profile:

I wore Inov8 F-Lite 195's for Goruck 007. In and out of the ocean constantly so they were full of sand the entire time. No issues, not even a single blister.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:00 PM   #7
Steve Dang

Profile:

class 010 here.. i wore vibrams. i got nicknamed tender foot...
and boy was i in pain.

training for selection right now. got me some nice OTB combat boots
Old 08-31-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
Keras Lesko

Profile:

I wore my NB MT110s. They worked well, but I wish I had brought more socks. Your feet will get wet, and get wet often. Extra socks are a must.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:27 PM   #9
Liz Hyde

Profile:

I just signed up for the Nov 3rd Challenge in SF. Was hoping/planning on using my MT110's, good to know other people have done this as well.

What kind of socks do you all use? I wear the NB's for every-day shoes, and I have to wear really thin socks with them else they feel super tight (I also have a pair of Superfeet insoles in them). Usually I wear the thing Injini toe socks, but I'm wondering if I should get normal socks just for time's sake.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:47 AM   #10
Bryan Hood

Profile:

I'd suck it up and wear a durable/comfortable hiking boot. Once your feet go, it's over. I've done a LOT of rucking in combat boots so I'm a little biased.