CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-21-2004, 01:34 AM   #1
Paul Kayley

Profile:
Finished a three week spell of calorie counting. It was a royal pain in the butt, however I found it had its uses.

On training days, without eating starches or good amounts of fats it is quite a challenge to meet your daily caloric needs via proteins, fruit, and veggies alone. I was having to cram the back end of each day with nuts to make up my calories.

As soon as starches enter the equation hormonal hunger rapidy takes over and the balance easily swings in the opposite direction.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:55 AM   #2
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

Paul,

Specifically, what type(s) of starch are you talking about?

-Jay
Old 04-21-2004, 02:12 PM   #3
Scott Parker

Profile:
and how many calories are you consuming in a day?

scott
Old 04-22-2004, 11:01 AM   #4
Paul Kayley

Profile:
Jay - I tend to use rice or corn based breakfast cereal for starch, or white bread .... but in controlled amounts with whey as previously detailed.

Thinking about it, I wouldnt recommend this form of reloading unless, like me, you prioritise recovery of glycogen stores for athletic reasons, over leaning out... it is too easy to 'spillover'. A couple of years ago, when I was less clued up on nutrition and carb-obsessed, I could eat starches all day long in very impressive amounts with no problems... apart from being frustrated with training like a sled-dog and still being less lean than I wanted to be. The point being.... now, since adapting to low-carbs, I have observed that I can only eat a controlled amount of high GI starch with whey after intense training, when my insulin sensitivity is max and muscle glycogen levels are bottoming out, with no ill effect and accelerated recovery. However, at any other time this sort of meal makes me feel crap.... pounding pulse, light-headed, then 30 mins later as blood sugar swings... the bear comes out!

This demonstrates to me just how unhealthy a conventional high carb diet must be, its just less noticable because your parents adapted you to it..... no wonder babies are always crying!

Scott- calories.... I am consuming 2000 to meet basal requirements...then between 500-1000 per hour's exercise depending upon intensity. On a big day I'd expend 4000 above basal, but remember I'm a triathlete.... very hormonally unintelligent.... so I'm not an ideal model for reference. Next year I'm planning on switching to a more hormonally intelligent style of training before I kill myself! My metabolic rate is probably screwed from years of elevated cortisol... I dread to think how many years I have knocked of my shelf life? I cant wait to see how crossfit style training will change my bodyshape and speed. I intend to switch from racing long distance, down to 50-60min sprint triathlon events.

In conclusion, if you are following crossfit training I'd go with the the sort of diet Robb recommends, and would only use very measured amounts of starch'n'whey if you are seriously taxing glygogen levels regularly with high volume glycolitic exercise, with recovery prioritised over low-bodyfat and long-term health.