CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-21-2011, 09:35 AM   #1
Dennis ODonnell

Profile:
CrossFit Training for a Triathlon

Hello All,

I am fairly new to the CrossFit workouts (8 weeks) but have seen fantastic results. CrossFit helped me win a local "biggest loser" contest by dropping 20lbs off my frame in 8 weeks. I am now training to complete a sprint triathlon and was wondering if you all have some recommendations for specific exercises to concentrate on when I'm not doing my box's WOD.

Specifically, anything that will help with the swim would be awesome.

Feel free to track, and comment on, my workouts here: http://dennis-crossfit.blogspot.com/
Old 06-21-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
Brendan McNamar

Profile:
Re: CrossFit Training for a Triathlon

Stroke coaching is what helps most people's swim. Swimming is about efficiency. Body position and breathing.

Find a masters program in your area and learn how to swim well.

I think a Sprint distance Tri the swim is like 1000m. That is nothing to someone who knows how to swim well.

With no special training I could go out and blast through a sprint Tri today just from my CrossFitting. I do have a swimming back ground so I'm strong in the water.

I use to do Tri training then I found CrossFit. Now my Tri bike is up for sale.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
Bob Cieszkowski

Profile:

If you have access to open-water swimming, use it. Big difference. Even better if you can swim with a group. It'll help prepare you for the utter chaos of the swim leg of the race.

For technique YouTube is a great resource, in particular anything from Total Immersion.

Good luck.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:44 PM   #4
Steven Ngo

Profile:

incorporate some brick sessions: swim - transition - bike; or bike - transition - run.

Slightly more detailed description of brick sessions: (w/f s) http://www.triathlontrainingguide.co...riathlon-prep/
Old 06-21-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
Damon Stewart

Profile:

I found the "Total Immersion" techniques and drills to be extremely helpful, especially since I don't come from a swimming background. Terry Laughlin's got both a book and some DVD's plus I'm sure with a little Google-fu you can find a ton of stuff online.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:23 PM   #6
Sean Waklee

Profile:

Swim,swim,swim. It's the only way to prepare for a swim. A sprint tri is usually 400-800m tops and even if you are only a mediocre swimmer you should be fine. Also they are typically wave starts by age group so probably only 40 or so people in your wave so not a ton of battling for position unless you are in the front of the wave. Now starting with 2000 friends during an Ironman is another story. Good luck but most of all have fun. I've done tris for 6 yrs now, only been doing CF for 3 months, and am looking forward to my next tri to see how CF has affected my performance.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:53 PM   #7
Dennis ODonnell

Profile:

Thanks for the tips everyone! Seems like swimming is one of those things that can't be helped, too much, by being out of the water. I do know one thing though, CrossFit should help my breathing. During those longer workouts I have started to manage my breathing a bit more which I hope helps me during the event.

When it's over I'll write back how it went.

Thanks!

-Dennis
Old 06-21-2011, 08:08 PM   #8
Carl Amolat

Profile:

CrossFit Endurance could be a good program of interest if the Triathlon bug bites you.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:33 AM   #9
Dave Traeger

Profile:

If you check the crossfit endurance website, it has some strength, some metcons and then endurance work in the form of SS (single sport, if you're training for running, swimming or cycling) and 3S (multisport, if you're training for triathlon).

If you watch some of the journal videos on it, they talk about how the program/schedule works. In one of them, they also talk about doing 3S and biassing it (is that a word?) toward the event you're weakest at.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:33 AM   #10
Dennis ODonnell

Profile:

That CrossFit Endurance website is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for directing me there. After my triathlon this Saturday I am going to try and stick to that workout routine to get my time down.