CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 07-17-2009, 01:04 AM   #1
John Quiroga

Profile:
Please critique my Hang power clean.

July 16, 2009 was the first time I ever did Hang Power Clean. I didn't know if I was doing it right so I decide to record me doing it twice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw4_eTWkQWY (w/fs)
Old 07-17-2009, 07:06 AM   #2
Jose M. Perez

Profile:
Re: Please critique my Hang power clean.

Check out the demo videos in the Exercise section. Next time, place the camera at a 45-degree angle or directly to your side; and don't start it until you have put it in place. As for your clean, most of the drive for the bar should come from your legs and hips. It looks like you are pulling the bar up mostly with your arms. For most people, the hang power clean should start with the bar just above the knees. Bend at the hips and then drive the hips forward to pull the bar up. Take a look at the Burgener warmup video.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:27 AM   #3
Steven Webster

Profile:

A power clean is just that. What you really mean is that you are performing a power clean from the hang position. The positions are very important because all the correct movements happen as a result of perfect positioning. The progression goes from position, movement, speed and finally load.

What is clear from the video is that you need to work on getting the rack and keeping your arms straight. If you can use the hook grip, then do so.
I think it's important to understand that you are essentially jumping the bar onto your shoulders, using primarily hip extension and some knee extension.

If the arms are rigid the bar will follow the shoulders.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:29 AM   #4
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Are you wearing MMA gloves?
Old 07-17-2009, 12:12 PM   #5
Shane Gibson

Profile:

I'm sorry, but I absolutely fell apart laughing when the camera fell over at the end of the video!
Old 07-18-2009, 03:42 PM   #6
David Meverden

Profile:

I'm glad you came to us, John!

It does look like you are doing more of a jumping reverse curl than a proper hang power clean.

A large part of this impression comes from your lack of a proper rack postion, which Steven mentioned. The bar should come to rest on your deltoids with your arms essentially parallel to the ground. This will seems strange, and you will not be able to do it without releasing your grip on the bar somewhat at the top. You may need to improve your wrist flexibility before doing it properly. Checkout this video of Mike Burgener explaining the hang power clean and look and the position at the end of the lift (WFS): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzQJB...4E217D&index=0

The gloves confused me, get rid of those unless it's covering up a horrific hand injury or hiding hideous mechanical terminator like hands (which would be badass). And what kind of bar is that? For truly effective O-lifts the weight needs to spin relative to the part of the bar you hold on to, not sure that's happening here.

This will get you on the right track. What I REALLY want you to do though, is buy Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength (found HERE: http://www.aasgaardco.com/store/stor...on=show_detail [WFS] or other places)and read that book, which includes a chapter that teaches power cleans (or get the DVD's, though I haven't seen them). I know reading can be boring, but doing ones homework is important to get effective results at anything. Granted, there are more experience o-lifting coaches than Rip who's books you can buy to learn to clean, but I recommend Starting Strength because I think that EVERYONE who wants to get stronger should read or have read that book. The lifts it contains, squat, deadlift, press, bench press, and power clean, are foundational, and his explanation of those lifts (especially the squat) are second to NONE.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:18 AM   #7
John Quiroga

Profile:

Thanks for the advice. As for the gloves they are weight lifting gloves I bought from Academy, they got wrist wraps.