CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 04-04-2009, 11:31 AM   #1
Dean Baron

Profile:
Today's WOD: Hang Power Clean and Jerk

I really struggled with this movement, I'm not grasping it at all. I know with the Hang, you drive through the hips but I think I'm using too much arms. I was really feeling it in my shoulders and left elbow, and wrists of course.

I find it very challenging when I don't have a CF gym to go to for coaching. All by myself at the Globo-Gym with all of the high-school kids benching 45 lbs and the Johnny-Grow-Ops checking their tans out and not trying to scratch their gold chains.

So what am I doing wrong?
Old 04-04-2009, 03:56 PM   #2
Tyler Smith

Profile:
Re: Today's WOD: Hang Power Clean and Jerk

Without video, I am unable to see the problem... HPC are hard, and they require much more strength because the bar has less momentum, compared to PC.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:32 PM   #3
John C Corona

Profile:

Dude, do the Burgener warmup (in the FAQ's) every day! It's a snatch drill but will transfer over to the clean. Here's a link to similar drills and coaching of the Oly lifts. (wfs)
http://purestrength.com/blog/categor...-of-the-month/

Do the drills often and it'll click.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:33 PM   #4
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Your elbows should not bend in the first pull, otherwise you're just doing a reverse bicep curl. You should practice a shrug with your arms very straight, then when you can't shrug any higher without bending your arms, this is where you jump under the bar as quickly as possible.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:42 PM   #5
Dean Baron

Profile:

Yeah my buddy turned me on to the Burgener Warm-up, I'm gonna start doing that. I understand the shrugging part but am having difficulty transfering it to the actual movement. Like I said, I think I'm overthinking it or it just hasn't 'clicked' yet. Same thing with kipping pull-ups, took me forever to get them, then all of a sudden they clicked. Even though I still can't get kipping from time to time!!!!!
Old 04-04-2009, 11:29 PM   #6
Harley Jennings

Profile:

Dean,

I had a problem with these before I read Ripp's starting strength. If you haven't bought the book yet I highly recommend it.

With hanging cleans you are taking the pull out of it. So next time you are doing these get yourself in the jumping position with the empty bar resting on your thighs roughly 2/3rds of the way down your knee. With elbows straight and a good lumbar extension, jump straight up in the air while focusing on stomping your feet on the way down. Do this over and over again until you get it right. The bar should travel in a fairly straight line right up your torso. If it is not (swinging way out in front) then you are wasting energy.

At some point, with straight elbows the bar is going to stop its acceleration up, this is the point where you get under the bar to rack it. But I think you have the rest of the steps. Most people get slowed down by the hang part. Hope this helps man, its all in the Starting Strength book.
M/27/5'10''/200lbs/13%BF BS 365#/ SP 205#/ DL 425#/ BP 345#/ PC 235#/ FS 265#/ CJ 225#/ THR 225#/ Liz 6:11/ Murph 39:00My Log
Old 04-08-2009, 11:03 AM   #7
Ryan Webernick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Smith View Post
HPC are hard, and they require much more strength because the bar has less momentum, compared to PC.
Yeah, I think part of my problem with this workout was the expectations I set for myself. I was thinking I would be able to hit the same amount of weight as I could with the power cleans.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:39 PM   #8
Eric Helms

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Baron View Post
Yeah my buddy turned me on to the Burgener Warm-up, I'm gonna start doing that. I understand the shrugging part but am having difficulty transfering it to the actual movement. Like I said, I think I'm overthinking it or it just hasn't 'clicked' yet. Same thing with kipping pull-ups, took me forever to get them, then all of a sudden they clicked. Even though I still can't get kipping from time to time!!!!!

Same here with the kipping. I almost gve up on them after trying for a while, then just doing deadhangs instead. All of a sudden yesterday when I did the Monday WOD Lunges, Pull-Ups and Sit-Ups, it "clicked" for me. I am able to knock out a considerable amount more kipping. Granted, I only go down about 85%, I feel I have gotten the rhythm down. Feels good.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:33 PM   #9
Deirdre P Martin

Profile:

You have to visualize and replicate the high pull movement, keeping your elbows in with a fairly narrow grip when you flip the bar. Use a exaggerated foot plant/jump to give you the momentum to flip the bar into position. (Remember - high pull).
See you are a service member- have a daughter and a son serving as well. Keep well
Old 04-14-2009, 05:34 PM   #10
Paul Beckwith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Baron View Post
I really struggled with this movement, I'm not grasping it at all. I know with the Hang, you drive through the hips but I think I'm using too much arms. I was really feeling it in my shoulders and left elbow, and wrists of course.

I find it very challenging when I don't have a CF gym to go to for coaching. All by myself at the Globo-Gym with all of the high-school kids benching 45 lbs and the Johnny-Grow-Ops checking their tans out and not trying to scratch their gold chains.

So what am I doing wrong?
Do you have a video camera? If so video yourself and send it in and you will get all the coaching you want! Or you ca go to coach berg site and watch the master.
(Phil 3:14) Fran 4:40,Mile7:35, CFT 1310,
www.carolinacrossfit.org