CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 11-04-2008, 08:13 AM   #1
Ryan Fossella

Profile:
Knee Pain...top of knee

Long story short, was playing basketball, accidentally slammed my knee into another guy's, and tore my lateral meniscus.

Was out about 4 weeks, swelling went down, MRI confirmed medium sized tear, and doctor gave me 50/50 chance of it healing on its own.

Went back to training, but did it slowly. Mainly squats, DL, RDLs, Good Mornings, and good general strengthening exercises. I only did Crossfit type stuff for lower body after about 8 weeks, and only 2x a week, focusing on general strengthening for the other days.

Got back up to 80% to 90% of pre injury output after about 3 months, and things were looking up. Started some sprinting, (looked kinda weird while decelerating, but still not too bad) and though I had to ice my knee down every night, no real bad pain.

Then one day I had to run and catch a train, and to get there I had to run down a long flight of stairs with my bike. I must of pulled something on my way down, but now I have a pain directly along the top of my knee cap whenever I bend below 15 or 2 degrees on 1 leg. I can still squat (only bodyweight) without any discomfort, but adding weight or standing on one leg really, really hurts.

I have had a meniscus tear in my other knee before, and this type of pain is new to me. It has persisted for the past 4 weeks, with no real improvement. My day to day movements are fine, and I am almost 100% pain free. But whenever I try to put weight on that knee, it really hurts along the top. my thoughts are that it has something to do with the patellar tendon, but I am not sure.

Does anyone have a similar experience or any advice? Online reading only gives me lists and lists of risk and terible symptoms it COULD be, and I was just looking for some specific thoughts from the community.

Unfortunately, I am abroad right now, so physiotherapy i out of the question until the new year.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-04-2008, 08:41 AM   #2
Scott Jones

Profile:
Re: Knee Pain...top of knee

If it's across the top of the patella then it sounds like an acute tendonitis at the quadriceps insertion.

Rest, lots of pain free motion, ice 2-3x/day, and deep (as in - moderately uncomfortable) tissue massage to the affected area. Stay consistent with this for a couple of weeks and you'll get where you're going pretty quickly.

Running down stairs puts an enormous eccentric load on the patello-femoral structures. Pretty easy to get a tendonitis that way.

Scott
Old 11-04-2008, 02:56 PM   #3
Ryan Fossella

Profile:

Sounds like a good start. Is there any test I can do to see if it is acute tendonitis?
Old 11-04-2008, 03:59 PM   #4
Ryan Fossella

Profile:

I did some online reading of tendonitis, and most places say that there is pain to the touch. I cannot put pressure and find any pain...could it still be acute tendonitis?