CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 09-02-2008, 08:07 AM   #1
Tirzah Harper

Profile:
Starting Strength: Womens' Log

I'll be doing the Starting Strength program (well, maybe not, technically, since I'm NOT doing the gallon of milk a day thing) for three months from September 1, unless I have health/recovery issues and need to cut back. Optional continuation through the end of the year depending on how things are going, as well.

If you're a woman doing Starting Strength, feel free to use this log for your own workouts, as well. I'm using a specific log for this purpose instead of my regular log because there's a dearth of anecdotal, applied information for women who are thinking about doing Starting Strength themselves. Just doing what I can to fill a little piece of that gap.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:10 AM   #2
Tirzah Harper

Profile:
Re: Starting Strength: Womens' Log

Starting stats:
(Need to measure my bodyfat with the handheld thing at the gym. Remind me to do that tomorrow.)
F, 5'4" tall, 26 y/o
BW 112, morning average

Strength stats, last tested 1RM:
Squat 135#
Bench press 85#
Deadlift 150#
Press 70#
Power clean 95#
Old 09-02-2008, 08:11 AM   #3
Tirzah Harper

Profile:

9/3/08
Squat warmup, 45, 65, 75#
Working set 85, 3x5

Bench press warmup, 45, 55#
Working set 65, 3x5

Deadlift warmup, 45, 65, 95
Working set 105, 3x5
Old 09-02-2008, 11:37 AM   #4
Stephen Smith

Profile:

It's awesome to see you start this! Enjoy the strength gains, and I look forward to seeing how this works for you. Oh, and even without the milk, make sure to eat a ton of good food...
Old 09-02-2008, 11:51 AM   #5
Tirzah Harper

Profile:

I ate a ton yesterday...oh, wait, that included a funnel cake. Never mind. But I had salad, and ice cream!
As far as food goes, I didn't do more today than I've been doing - less, actually - but I'll start upping the food as I start getting hungrier. The weights aren't heavy...yet.
(where's the shaking in my boots smiley? And my 2" ID washers from Home Depot for the very, very incremental gains?)

I woke up this morning with my knee feeling like I slept funny...sort of stiff and "tweaked". Maybe I stepped on the rocks wrong at the lake yesterday? Anyway, it's not getting any better, but squatting doesn't feel bad, so I'm going to keep going with that.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:41 PM   #6
Chris Scott

Profile:
Hi Tirzah!

I just started SS last Wednesday. It's a blast! This log is an awesome idea. I've started thinking about trying to persuade my mom to try SS, so I'll be really interested in hearing your thoughts.

Stephen's not lying about the food. My appetite has been obscene. Be prepared to eat more than you ever have just to maintain BW, and a ton of protein. It's AWESOME.

If you don't mind earthy humor, Coach Rippetoe has a Q&A board at http://************.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36. He's very generous with his time, and the whole forum is a great resource--in particular, I had never understood how central nutrition was to the program. Consider dropping him a line; my guess is he'd be very happy to see a woman doing SS.

Good luck! Getting strong rocks!
Old 09-03-2008, 06:16 AM   #7
Tirzah Harper

Profile:

Hi, Chris!
Thanks for the link - Rip writes like he talks, and it just cracks me up. In a good way. I'm sort of hesitant to post over there until I either have a good question or something of value to add, though. He's not a guy I'd like to have my @ss chewed by! Except that it would be a pretty decent compliment in itself, if Rip thinks you're worth chewing out. LOL.
I woke up HUNGRY this morning after one workout. Um, maybe I just didn't eat enough yesterday? Time to get cooking! (I'm thinking, "Okay, what do I have for meat in the house? Let's see....")
I'll be the first to admit that I'm VERY skeptical as to my potential for making Great Huge Gains, and I'm totally expecting to stall out on progress any day now LOL - but I'll also be the first to eat my words when Rip's program works better than I ever expected!

9/3/08
Squat warmup 45-65-85
Working weight 90# (up 5#) 3x5

Press warmup 45-55
Working weight 60# 3x5
I think I might have gone too heavy with this for starting out. It was a little hard. Someone kick my @ss over to Home Depot to find washers, please!

Power clean warmup 45-65
Working weight 70# 3x5

Then I used the gym's Omron handheld bodyfat tester thing. It said something like 16.5% BF, 19.2 BMI - which, hey, if I'm at 16-something percent, I'm thrilled, but I kinda would have guessed more up around the low twenties, percentage-wise. What do I know, though? Anyway, I'm mainly using that as a gauge. If I keep measuring with the same thing (which said something like 17 or 19% several months ago when I first started at MidOhio CF), then at least I can tell if my BF% is going up, down, or stabilized!
Old 09-03-2008, 11:34 AM   #8
Laura Kurth

Profile:

oh, i am happy to see you started this log! I will be reading... (though not doing SS)
Old 09-05-2008, 05:42 AM   #9
Tirzah Harper

Profile:

9/5/08
Squat warmup 45-65-85
Work set 95#, 3x5

Bench press warmup 45-55-65
Work set 70#, 3x5
Got a slight discrepancy between Rip and my coach. We'll see how this one pans out. I hate ****ing anyone off.

Deadlift warmup 45-95-105
Work set 115#, 1x5

I'm not sure what to do since I started too high on the press (60#...my 1RM is 70# last I checked)...guess I have the weekend to figure it out.
Been eating a lot of meat. I've got various things feeling tweaked (my knee earlier this week, my back last night, another spot in my back this morning) but I don't think that's due to SS or bad form there. I hope.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:48 AM   #10
Vanessa Sisson

Profile:

HI Tirzah,
I just started SS too. We'll have to keep up with each other.