CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-07-2008, 04:11 PM   #1
Andrew Adame

Profile:
Anyone had a stress fracture before?

First day of CF I was doing Fran and on the 3rd round I started getting a sharp pain everytime I squat down on the thrusters.

The day after I noticed a small bump on my shin where the pain was, its not noticable looking at it, only through touching. If I apply pressure to it the pain is like a 7, and only certain motions like squatting to the floor or putting on my shoes without using my hands that make it hurt.

Ive just began CrossFitting and Ive been ignoring it because I didnt want the set back, Ive been able to do the WOD's for the last 2 weeks with only slight pain.

Just looking for some feedback from those of you who have had SF's to see if you experienced the same things, and if indeed this is a SF
Old 07-07-2008, 06:35 PM   #2
Ken Mindoro

Profile:
Re: Anyone had a stress fracture before?

This is a question only your doctor can answer. I don't think anyone here has xray vision.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:34 PM   #3
Andrew Adame

Profile:

From what Ive read 99% of stress fractures do not show up in xrays, Id have to set up a CT/MRI or bone scan, all of which are financially out of my reach

Im just trying to see if thats what it SOUNDS like to people who have had them in the past.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:55 PM   #4
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

If you have swelling, I would suspect it's not a stress fracture. When I had one, it was not detectable by feel. The x rays showed nothing. I would RICE it and see what happens. But I AM NOT A DOCTOR
Old 07-07-2008, 07:57 PM   #5
Andrew Adame

Profile:

Thanks for the reply Rob D
Old 07-07-2008, 09:35 PM   #6
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

My limited knowledge of stress fractures leads me to believe that they're usually more impact-related. I'm nursing a potential one on my foot from running, and it didn't show up in the x-ray. Debating whether or not to go get the Bone Scan, because I'm guessing the prescription for a hairline stress fracture would probably be to RICE anyways. So that's really probably the best you can do. Give it a week of proper rest and see what's up then.

Personally I haven't heard of stress fractures in the shins coming from thrusters, but I'm no expert -- I'd expect them in the hips or something instead. Might just be a pull or strain of some sort. Damn... I wish Steven Low were here
Old 07-08-2008, 06:51 AM   #7
Rayna McGinnis

Profile:

I had a stress fracture early last fall but mine was in my foot. (which is most common) through my research I don't recall any in the shins, but I do know it's normally from impact. (i.e. mine was from hiking 10 miles in one day... after i pulled my hip flexor from hiking 10 miles the day beforeand therefor was only able to use my right foot to hike out... impact).

If you can't go to the doctors, there is alot of research out there if you look for it. I found tons.

If you do believe it's a stress fracture after doing research, take a few weeks off and see if the pain goes away. With stress fractures, there is little swelling, usually little bruising and it shouldn't be sore unless you're using that bone for support at the time or your pushing on it. (i.e. it feels like a bruise when you push on it).

Good luck!
Old 07-08-2008, 10:16 AM   #8
Andrew Adame

Profile:

I really don't know what else it could be, its on the shin bone about 2 inches under my knee cap, it feels like a bruise but its just a small bump the size of a nickel and its hard like bone, no discoloration or swelling

I don't get it though because I have done countless leg workouts with heavy weight and have even busted on the stairmill with my 50-75lb weight vest DAILY while getting ready for the firefighter cpat,

Thanks to all for the replys, I will keep the thread updated in case anyone else anyone else ever has this problem