CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-26-2008, 04:58 PM   #1
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:
Butterfly Kip Tutorial

Here's a pretty fast way we found to teach/learn Butterfly/AFT kip.

Butterfly Kip Tutorial
WFS

Let me know if that helps you to get it!
Old 05-26-2008, 06:48 PM   #2
John Seiler

Profile:
Re: Butterfly Kip Tutorial

Thanks Leo! That looks great. I'll have to give it a try tomorrow.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:59 PM   #3
Andrew Gray

Profile:

Cool, I tried the butterfly kip the other day for the first time and it definitely felt pretty good, but my rhythm has a lot of work to do. I will have to give this method a try and see how it goes for me.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:12 PM   #4
Frank Tardi

Profile:

FWI: this is jusT a personal note and not an attack at anyone doing these... however, Iive done my share of kipping pullups anD still dont understand why people just dont do deadhangs. deadhangs are where the pullup strength comes from and where the pullup originated... using momentum to generate a pullup just seems to defeat the whole purpose of pullups and renders them pointless. i do understand the fact of keeping ones heart rate up but still... jus do the deadhangs like they were intended. want a real challenge? do them the Gym Jones way anD only count the pullups in which you hit your chest with the bar.

Last edited by Lynne Pitts; 06-01-2008 at 04:35 AM..
Old 05-26-2008, 08:22 PM   #5
Richard Hancock

Profile:

Frank,
I agree in some ways, with you. I was brought up very strictly about exercises and their proper execution. So, I try to deadhang, all I can, each set, then resort to kipping in order to stay on the bar and continue the exercises. I am still in the early stages of developing my chin up strength, but I am getting a lot more chin ups in this way, than I could if I went straight deadhang, all the time.

I am not sure about the physiological ramifications, but I seem to be getting more deadhangs, as time goes on, so something is working.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:06 PM   #6
Aaron Wilson

Profile:

FRank,

I dont know if you have read this link in the FAQ's about Kipping

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=5010

But if you do read it you will undertsand why people and Crossfit suggests the kipping pullups over the dead hang pullup. Contributers to the thread that is over 10 pages long include, Coach, Eva T, Tyler Hass, Coach Sommer, Dave werner, Robb Wolf and more. The who's who of crossfit discussing the pro's and cons of kipping.

If you not convinvced about kipping after reading it, thats fine, but you should understand why everyone else is convinced.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:24 PM   #7
Frank Tardi

Profile:

yah Ii have read it anD totally understand why. Ffor my personal feel and the people i CrossFit with, all we do are deadhangs. the one thing i musT say bout the kips is that it kills my abdomen area which is pretty cool but other than that Ii jusT cant leave the controlled deadhangs, even when i get tired Ii drop down for a few anD hop right back up anD keep goin. but of course its all personal preference and there wouldnt be extensive forums and videos on the kipping if it wasnt good for someone. i mus be old schooled witHJ pull ups and especially for military trainin Gi stick to those dead hangs.

Last edited by Lynne Pitts; 06-01-2008 at 04:36 AM.. Reason: AOL-speak
Old 05-26-2008, 09:25 PM   #8
Dale F. Saran

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Tardi View Post
FWI: this is jus a personal note and not an attack at anyone doing these... however, ive done my share of kipping pullups an still dont understand why people just dont do deadhangs. deadhangs are where the pullup strength comes from and where the pullup originated... using momentum to generate a pullup just seems to defeat the whole purpose of pullups and renders them pointless. i do understand the fact of keeping ones heart rate up but still... jus do the deadhangs like they were intended. want a real challenge? do them the Gym Jones way an only count the pullups in which you hit your chest with the bar.
"deadhangs are...where the pullup originated."????? Do you care to quote some authority for that proposition? Or the follow-on that "using momentum...renders them pointless." Again, authority for that proposition would be...? Anyone?

Frank, I've got 15 years in the Marine Corps, so I'm not anti-dead-hang, but how did you decide that the "deadhang is where the pullup originated?" I would have guessed as a matter of practicality and human physiology that the exact opposite would have been the case. Our tree-dwelling cousins and long-ago ancestors I doubt were much concerned about "strict form" deadhang pullups in climbing rocks, getting over obstacles, getting away from predators, or getting in trees for hunting. Unless you can convince me otherwise, I would bet that the deadhang pullup is in fact a modern phenomenon, created by people trying to "isolate the lats".

Again, do 'em how you want to, but don't make silly statements as a justification for it. If you like deadhang, more power to you. And Gym Jones is a pi$$poor authority for this issue, given Mark's history in coming to Coach for training, becoming an affiliate, and then, um, leaving, to use a euphemism.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:53 PM   #9
Skylar Cook

Profile:

Only after watching all these videos have I realized that this is pretty much how I do kipping PUs. My cycle is slower, but my movement is much more similar to the 'butterfly kip' than to the 'other kip.' I'm just not so hot on the drop in the butterfly kip. It seems that's a lot of stress as you're basically dropping straight onto your shoulders, as opposed to the 'other kip,' where you're swinging down with a more gradual loading, since there is more push off of the bar. Maybe it's inconsequential, but I prefer the movement of the other to the butterfly. Any thoughts on this appreciated.

Second what Dale said.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:12 PM   #10
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Maybe this is a bad comparison, but I always viewed the kipping pullup kind of like the clean. If someone were to do a clean and just deadlift the bar off the floor and the procede to pull it up to their collar bones with their arms....well that would certainly be impressive with enough weight. But I deffinately don't fault them for using a little extra leg and hip action and putting a lot of momentum on the bar to get a heavier weight shoulder high. That's how I view pullups. Deadhangs are impressive, but you can get more done if you put a little english on it. Maybe that's stupid. I dunno.