CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:34 AM   #1
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Rape & Kidnap Prevention Workshop

Several days ago, we held a Rape & Kidnap Prevention Workshop at CrossFit Gulf Coast.
We got about one hour of coverage from SNN Channel 6 News (a Comcast channel) and it should be airing later this week.
It can also be seen on their news website ws/fs
We did not know when we planned this workshop that a local tragedy was in progress, the victim was kidnapped and killed. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family of Denise Amber Lee.
Hopefully it will be up before this weekend, and it will help prevent future tragedies like this.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:53 AM   #2
H. Giovanni Salazar

Profile:
Re: Rape & Kidnap Prevention Workshop

Thanks Frank, I'll check it out and make sure that my family gets a chance to see this also. Prayers to the family of the girl. Sad story.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:26 PM   #3
Barry Cooper

Profile:

I've said this often, but I think everyone should read the book "The Gift of Fear", by Gavin de Becker, especially all women.

One thing I think most people know, but I will say anyway: if they get you in a car, your chance of living drops precipitously. Everything I have heard says you are much better risking or actually getting shot than getting in a car, even at gun or knife point. Not all gunshots are fatal, nor are all cuts.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:03 AM   #4
Frank DiMeo

Profile:

Thank you for your responses.
Barry, you are so right about that point.
We stress that highly in our workshop.
I was told by the assignment manager at SNN News 6, Barry Tarleton, that this would be shown after the funeral for Denise Amber Lee.
Mr. Tarleton's phone number is 941-361-4618, if anyone wants a more specific time for the showing of the rape & kidnap prevention workshop.
As Gio said, it is a horrible tragedy.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:28 AM   #5
Frank DiMeo

Profile:

Barry--
When I trained in Russian Systema, the instructor was a fomer Soviet Spetsnaz Operator. He was a very hard-core realist about this stuff, from personal exoerience.
He made it clear that if you go against a knife, you'll get cut somewhere. Same for a gun, you'll get shot somewhere.
The point was not to get wounded in a vital area, and continue to finish off your enemy quickly; and be ready for the next one coming at you.
I also wanted to say I am sorry about the delay in the airing of this workshop. I know people are contacting these folks and letting them know they want to see it.

Last edited by Frank DiMeo; 01-25-2008 at 06:30 AM..
Old 01-25-2008, 06:51 AM   #6
Barry Cooper

Profile:

You don't have to finish them off. You don't even have to engage, in my view, other than perhaps a brief distraction to get a few steps on them. Most women, especially, are just not going to take down a bit strong guy, in my view, and I don't think they need to.

I came up with my own martial art some time ago--and even have a video set, which nobody wants to buy for some reason ($599 for a set of 6 tapes)--which involves kicking them in the shin or knee--or stomping the bridge of their foot--then running like heck. It seems to me quite often people focus on defeating the attacker, rather than removing themselves from the situation. Those things require two different mindsets.

With a knife, the guy has to catch you. With a gun, I've seen guys miss from a distance of a few steps at the range. I will never forget watching this Vietnamese guy, with his girlfriend watching, shooting at a silhouette target 15' or so away. He couldn't hit it because he kept forcing the shot, pointing the gun down in advance of the recoil, like untrained shooters tend to do. He moved it as close as he could, which from memory was about 8'. He still missed it, for the same reason. He got mad and left.

Also, a problem for a lot of women--and I'm sure you cover this--is that their shoes dramatically limit their mobility. I like looking at shapely legs as much as the next guy, but I'm telling you if I was a woman, I would only wear flats, or very low heels. Any other shoe will dramatically limit your mobility, at least until you take them off.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:08 AM   #7
Frank DiMeo

Profile:

Good point Barry, "finishing them off" does not necessarily mean killing them.
I agree with you about the shoes, too.
On another note, I just spoke with the News guys and they said that next week would be the soonest the workshop will be aired, due to the ongoing situations surrounding the recent kidnapping in our area.

Last edited by Frank DiMeo; 01-25-2008 at 11:12 AM..
Old 01-25-2008, 11:32 AM   #8
Travis Hall

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Cooper View Post
I've said this often, but I think everyone should read the book "The Gift of Fear", by Gavin de Becker, especially all women.
Yes. Definitely an excellent book. I've also made just about everyone I know read it. As has been pointed out, it isnít limited to women. Thereís a lot of valuable information in this book that applies to all parts of life, not just survival in violent situations.

As a side not, I really wish it had a different title. In my experience, the title really turns people off.