CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 12-27-2005, 05:09 PM   #1
Chris Forbis

Profile:
Sent this "progress report" to Coach Rut, and he recommended I post it...

------------------------------

Started with a miserable squat in August (135OHS, 170FS, 180BS @ 6'4",175BW). Went to the ME Black Box after that... was pretty spotty workout consistency wise for a while, but have really gotten locked-in in the last month, when I have made most of my gains.

Now I'm at 150OHS, 210FS, 225BS @ 6'4" 170BW. Still poor for my weight, but a huge improvement.

I basically do a 2 week cycle and repeat when I hit the end.

W1 Monday non squat heavy WOD
W1 Tuesday OHS/FS/BS 5x1/5x1/5x1
W1 Wednesday rest
W1 Thursday squat heavy WOD (usually Fran)
W1 Friday dead lift 3-2-2-2-1-1-1-1-1
W1 Saturday sprints
W1 Sunday rest

W2 Monday non squat heavy WOD
W2 Tuesday squat cleans 3-2-2-2-1-1-1-1-1
W2 Wednesday rest
W2 Thursday squat heavy WOD (usually Linda w/ squat cleans)
W2 Friday Sh.Pr./Pu.Pr./Pu.Jk. 5x1/5x1/5x1
W2 Saturday sprints
W2 Sunday rest

Now that I feel like I'm locked into a work/rest cycle that lets me recovery properly, I feel I'll make huge strides, hopefully getting to my short term goal of 1.5xBW FrSq by summer and on the road to a 2xBW FrSq (longer term goal).

The other ME lifts I've been doing have improved as well, and the 5# drop in BW is fat loss. The fat loss is (I think) due to me tweaking my recovery days just right so I can really go all out on the WODs that I do.

Sorry if I got to rambling, but I just wanted to thank you for an outstanding template for implementing Crossfit. Add another test subject to those that the ME Black Box has worked for!
Old 12-27-2005, 05:20 PM   #2
Russ Greene

Profile:

How much did your Fran time improve as you got stronger? Great work by the way. I complain about squatting with long legs and a short torso and I'm 5 inches shorter than you. Are you planning on doing more gymnastics work once you're more satisfied with your weightlifting strength?

(Message edited by sinai16 on December 27, 2005)
Old 12-27-2005, 06:50 PM   #3
Chris Forbis

Profile:
I scale Fran to 65# to achieve maximum metabolic effect. Despite using the workout to focus on metabolic effect rather than strength, it still gets my legs plenty sore. I've taken about 1:30 (going by memory here) off since I've started. The restricting factor is chiefly pullups (grip it seems). Last time after dancing with Fran I curled up on the floor for 10 minutes in pain from my forearms burning. I plan on really trying to blast the thrusters Amundson or Everett style next time out. If I can do it, then I'll start ramping the weight up. After all, it's all about power output. :happy:

So it is less a focus on pure strength in the WODs that hit squats, as I'm looking for enough to get the legs sore and a great metabolic workout. The metabolic part is working, as I played basketball last Thursday and was able to run the court like a gazelle for over an hour.

And I definitely want to get some more gymnastics in there at some point. I need to be doing more ring dips, HSPU, and muscle-ups (I get quite a few pullups in the WODs I do). And I would love to be able to work on my handstand, planche, and lever. Worst case I'll get to that stuff this summer (being a school teacher has its perks).
Old 12-27-2005, 06:59 PM   #4
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Hi Chris,
Great stuff. What is your Saturday sprint protocol look like?
Thanks,
Old 12-27-2005, 08:17 PM   #5
Butch White

Profile:

Strong work and strong results, Chris. You've motivated me to give the ME BB protocol a try for the exact same lifts.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:28 PM   #6
Chris Forbis

Profile:
1. Sprint 100m.
2. Catch breath.
3. Walk to start.
4. Go to step 1.

I do as many of these as I can stand (usually until I'm *this* close to puking). Target is 10, sometimes it is less though. It has been below freezing the last few times, so the cold will sometimes convince me to quit in the 6-8 range (for some reason I refuse to wear anything more than a long sleeve t-shirt and gym shorts when sprinting in the cold). Step 2 is basically nonexistant the first time through and gets progressively longer the farther in I get.

Once the weather gets a bit warmer I'll probably try to spice it up with some 200s or the occasional 400. (400-200-200-200-100-100-100-100-100 maybe?)
Old 12-31-2005, 12:12 PM   #7
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Chris-

Awesome work and thank you to RUTMAN for cooking up the ME-Black Box program.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:41 PM   #8
Clay Jones

Profile:

Chris, this looks pretty cool--will steal some of your scheduling as I am getting ready to do an ME-BB to improve my C&J and front squat.

Funny, I have been doing the same sprint workout as you for the past 3 months . . . .
Old 01-16-2006, 07:06 AM   #9
John Messano

Profile:
How do you select the amount of weight for the 5x1 OHS, FS, BS and the 3-2-2-2-1-1-1-1-1 Deadlift?

Is there a protocol? Or do you go by what you did on a previous WOD or how you feel at the moment?

Thank-you.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:05 AM   #10
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Way to go, Chris!