CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-02-2007, 08:24 PM   #1
Ron Haskins

Profile:
Unfortunately, the years of abusing my R shoulder have caught up and I am scheduled for rotator cuff repair/a-c joint repair and repair of a bicep tendon issue. I have used the search engine for ideas for post-surgery workouts and found a few. Does anyone have any experience or ideas?

Thanks in advance...
Old 02-08-2007, 05:24 PM   #2
David Mathews

Profile:
Ron,
I had shoulder surgery 1 year ago on Jan. 10.I went in to have a bone spur removed and when the Doctor went in he found not only a bone spur but also a torn labrum and torn rotator cuff which he repaired.Without a doubt the most painful thing I've ever dealt with (physically).However,3 days after surgery I resumed working out.The workouts all revolved around the legs,abs,and one arm exercises.I can list some if you would like.I just strapped my bad wing to my side with the sling they gave me.The Doctor told me I would not be doing HSPU again but he was wrong!:harhar00:I am not only doing HSPU's but I can also strict press 160lbs.Anyway I can do almost all the WOD's as rx'd but I also busted my at therapy and in my garage.Hope this helps.
David
Old 02-08-2007, 08:23 PM   #3
Ron Haskins

Profile:
David,

I would love any kind of lists just to give me ideas. Unfortunately I also just posted another thread on exercises board.

My physician is agressive with rehab (US Ski Team doc) so I anticipate getting right after it. Like my other post talked about I'm also looking for ideas on how to fabricate a handle for one armed rowing on my C2.

Any input is appreciated.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:28 AM   #4
Jake Thompson

Profile:
I wouldn't bank on doing anything real active for about 12 weeks, if you are truly getting a RTC repair then you will be doing only passive/active assited ROM stuff for then next 4-6 weeks, plus depending on how you do with the surgery the pain may limit you for a while after that. Not to rain on your parade, I hope that they are just doing a clean up, acromioplasty, etc. Then your looking at about 6 weeks and back at it full speed.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:27 PM   #5
Jon Gilson

Profile:
Ron,

One-handed rowing. Hmmm....

You can't simply attach a D-handle, because you'd be pulling off-center.

This might sound a bit crazy, but I'd try to attach the chain to myself at the center of my chest, using the good arm to hold the chain.

You could use climbing webbing and a carbiner to attach the chain to you, and then wrap some tape around the chain for comfort's sake.

Yeah, I know, it sounds silly. But then again, so does rowing with one arm!

Good luck.

Best,

Jon
Old 02-09-2007, 02:49 PM   #6
Franklin Shogie

Profile:
I take it one cannot scull with a C2 but can only sweep row?