CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 01-27-2006, 07:06 AM   #1
Steve Shafley

Profile:
Kev is a member of the Power and Bulk message board, which I run. With all the arguing and stuff, he decided to give Linda a try. He is a good, competitive powerlifter.

There's a link to the vid of the benches below. It might or might not be available by the time you download it.

This was done at the Northside Weight Room, in Richmond, VA, with the gym owner watching, and a few other spectators.

BW=205

Box squats to 11", completely rawdog:
Straight Bar, 135lbs chain
6 Doubles at 225+135 (almost 360 at the top, 240 or so at the bottom)

Then Linda:
Alternating Deadlifts, BenchPress and Cleans
DL 325x10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
Bench 205x10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
Clean, 152x10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
Total Time: 25:23.45

Bench
205x31
(BWx31 on the benchpress is "Crossfit challenge #6 or something)

Alternating
GHR BWx5/Pseudo-ring pullups BWx5/Situps BWx10

GHR BWx5/Pseudo-ring Pullups BWx5/Situps 25lbs across chestx8+BWx4

1 Snatch+16 OHsquat w/ 110

Here's video of the 205x31 Bench:

http://s50.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2...R198BKKIL84P5W
Old 01-27-2006, 07:56 AM   #2
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Very impressive. I'll have to check the video later, but benching bwx31 AFTER a sweet time on Linda is insane. Nicely done! What are his PL numbers? Raw/Equipped?
Old 01-27-2006, 08:23 AM   #3
Russ Greene

Profile:

Kevin is certainly a beast of a powerlifter and deserves praise for that performance, but didn't he just pick the crossfit workout most suited to his current level of specialization? Is he willing to try one of the more bodyweight or metabolic conditioning oriented workouts? We all know that if a gymnast were to attempt Cindy or Mary, he would kick butt without any crossfit training. However, how well would the gymnast do in Grace, or Fran, or Diane, or Linda?
Old 01-27-2006, 08:46 AM   #4
Steve Shafley

Profile:
He picked one that looked interesting to him. That's all. One that looked like it wouldn't throw him too far off of his goals, which revolve training for the USAPL Nationals.

Old 01-27-2006, 08:48 AM   #5
Steve Shafley

Profile:
Kev's PL numbers, for those interested.

Equipped PRs at 220:
589-DLs always belt only

Equipped PRs at 198
570-DLs always belt only

Raw PR at 220:
Bench 425

Raw gym lifts at 198 (Last time around)
525 squat
405 bench

Most recent meet on the tail end of a diet:
Old 01-27-2006, 09:23 AM   #6
John Walsh

Profile:
Steve,

What were his impressions of the work out? Is this something he would to do while amping up for Nationals? Does he normally do some type of GPP?

Russ,

He may have chose something in line with his skills but he still shows a high level of fitness. Most powerlifters I know are unable to count higher than five unless unless it involves minutes of rest between sets.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:05 AM   #7
Dennis Yiatras

Profile:

if he did all squat cleans that is a real impressive time.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:20 AM   #8
John Velandra

Profile:
Of course someone's going to pick one that fits in line with goals for the first one... but honestly - he DID it! That shows an open mind and someone who'll at least look at it (probably) as gpp - which CrossFit is excellent for.

We talk about CrossFit as a way to augment and improve sports (triat's, adventure, etc)... well, that's what powerlifting is - so is bodybuiding for that matter. These sports, or any other one, can still be done in addition to adding CrossFit. It just takes more planning and diligence. But, it will still produce a better athlete, regardless of sport.

Sorry, but this is a soapbox of mine... not meant to offend. Kudos to Kev.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:35 AM   #9
Steve Shafley

Profile:
John: GPP type stuff is sled sprints, sled dragging, yoke walks, tire flip stuff when weather permits, lately, he says he's been doing relatively low rep GPP exercise circuits (like listed above). He's been low carb dieting as well, to get down to a comfortable 198 for his next meet.

Dennis: I am fairly sure he did power cleans.

John: There's a balance you need to strike. At some point in time the GPP is going to have to be cut for more SPP, this might not require as big a contrast for other sports, but for powerlifting, especially peaking, you need to be dialed in on the competitive movements and rested. Note, I am not disagreeing with you here, only adding my two cents towards the specific sport of powerlifting.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:43 AM   #10
Steve Shafley

Profile:
Kev asked me to post these messages, since he's not registered here.

"Firstly, I don't have any real bitterness toward "CF Nation" inasmuch as such a thing exists. I just got reall ****ed of at "caoch" over the Dan John bit, and said some nasty things about him at the P&B. I figured that I shouldn't be talking that kind of smack about somebody unless I could at least do well at some of the stuff that they do, particularly a workout that is, relative to CF workouts in general, "in my wheelhouse."

Yes, of course I picked the one best suited to my abilities. It'd have been stupid not to, the point was not that Crossfit workouts aren't impressive tests of this and that, but rather that CF isn't a be all and end all means of achieving good fitness levels. And also, yeah, this is the only one I could see that wouldn't be a total waste of a workout. I think it will have some benefit to my training. The way I explained it to a friend, an accountant would probably consider this workout a postive. It had some training effect that will be a postive in reaching my current goals. An economist would probably consider it a negative, because of the opportunity cost of a lost workout that would have been more tailored to my goals, and maybe losing some performance in my next workout or two."

And

"And the CF challenge thing was a spur of the moment call after doing Linda, doing her right in her . I still had some gas in the tank, so I figured what the hell.

Those bench weights are pretty much active recover for me. If my upperback is strong enough to not collapse, I expect to have a perfectly normal bench workout tomorrow.

If any of y'all care to read my log, it's available at the P&B since about June. EZboard ate about 3 years worth prior to that. You can see that although this was the CF "Girl" (or lady, whatever you call em) that suited me best, it certainly wasn't something that was 100% specific to my training. The most conditioning work I usually do is 2-3 minute circuits of lighter stuff seperated by at least as much rest time as work time, or very short sprints and sled sprints, and occasionally slow WSB recovery style slow sled workouts. I think for a 205 lb guy to pull this off in that time without real training for it, is pretty good. Not earth shattering, but pretty good.

Don't feel bad though, even the folks on here who I can out-deadlift, squat and bench by 1.5 or 2 times, can probably do 3 or 4 times as many pullups as me!"