CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-06-2006, 10:58 AM   #21
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Paul,

You might want have your friend look into "leaky gut syndrome". It's all based around cleaning up the gut health....they say it can be linked to lots of diseases. I'm no DR or expert on this, but everything I read on healing and disease prevention is now pointing to gut health and how the body will deteriorate around it if it goes sour. Makes sense to me. Of course there is never a simple answer...but I like to think that the body can heal itself if we help it work as optimal as possible.

I like the cold/contrast showers too...although not a supplement, still helps me feel better and supposed to boost recovery and immune functions.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:31 AM   #22
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
Forgot to add:

Creatine
Beta-Alanine
Old 11-06-2006, 06:21 PM   #23
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Paul,

What results have you noticed from the Beta-Alanine, if any?
Old 11-06-2006, 06:29 PM   #24
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
well, actually, good results! And I've tried quite a few supplements and ditched most of them.

I've noticed less soreness while exercising. My lungs give out before my legs now, which wasn't the case before.

I'm training a lot less than a year ago, yet I'm stronger by every crossfit standard than last year. So I attribute at least some of that to the creatine and beta-alanine. The other part of that would probably be higher frequency training and less overtraining.

Also, Beta-Alanine is the precursor to carnosine which is very important for mitochondrial health (which I suppose isn't something you'd notice at our age).

The research on this stuff is pretty convincing IMO.

Cheers,

Paul

Old 11-07-2006, 12:50 AM   #25
LeRoy Malterre

Profile:
Paul,

What brand of Beta-Alanine are you using?
Old 11-07-2006, 02:23 AM   #26
Nikki Young

Profile:
I take a whole food suppliment called JuicePlus+, i prefer to suppliment with something thats from whole food rather than synthetically made out of chemicals.. I've noticed since taking it, that i don't get colds (didn't get them that often to start with), and when i feel like im coming down with something it will pass the next day. The main difference i have noticed though since taking it was a massive improvement in my recovery rate after exercise.. i don't get as sore, and when i am sore it clears up a lot faster than what i used too, this happened within a few months of taking it.. not straight away.

Also suppliment with omega3 fish oil capsules. Can't say i've noticed any effects from it... but i'm sure i probably would if i stopped taking it.. or would notice something in a few years time if i didn't take it!
Old 11-07-2006, 08:46 AM   #27
Stephen Cooper

Profile:
Damon,
I read about your creatine intake. I'm 41 and had been taking creatine for more than 5 years off and on. About 6 months ago I had my blood work analyzed by a physician in FL who specializes in nutrition for athletes. He had me get off the creatine immediately as it was too taxing for my kidneys. This may not be your case, but it’s something to keep in mind. We don’t really know what’s going on internally without the appropriate blood work.

(Message edited by Coop on November 07, 2006)
Old 11-07-2006, 09:22 AM   #28
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
Stephen, did you get a BUN/Creatinine ratio?

LeRoy, I get my Beta-Alanine from Bulk Nutrition since it's so much cheaper and I use high quantities (5g). I dissolve it in my flavored water bottle which I sip from all day.

Old 11-07-2006, 12:42 PM   #29
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
I'm a supplement nut. I've experimented for the past 20 years. Here's what I've found works for me and works pretty darn well. Continual improvement in strength and endurance, and rarely get sick.

I take the following during the A.M.
2 gr of fish oil
2 gr of CLA
1 gr of Flaxseed
300mg of ALA
150mg of Turmeric
250mg of red wine extract
1000mg of seasamin
1 gr of gluco/condrotin/msm combo
500 of ginger root
1 gram of Green Tea extract
200 mg of grapeseed extract

Then mid day I take:
2 gr of fish oil
2 gr of CLA
1 gr of Flaxseed
300mg of ALA
1 gram of Green Tea
200mg of Grapeseed extract

Then before going to bed I take:
2 gr of fish oil
2 gr of CLA
1 gr of Flaxseed
300mg of ALA
150mg of Turmeric
250mg of red wine extract
1000mg of seasamin
1 gr of gluco/condrotin/msm combo
500 of ginger root
200 mg of grapeseed extract
100 mg of Potassium
1 gram complex of calcium/magnesium/zinc
1 gram of GABA

These are the ones I take daily. I also take a glucose/BCAA/glutamine/post workout concoction with my post workout protein shake. I follow the same protocol about an hour later post workout as well.

I've never tried Beta-Alanine, but I'm game. I've also used Fungegeek, Tribestan, Tribex and a few of the other "testosterone increasers" in the past. Now, I use them sparingly and normally every 4 to 6 weeks.

I know this is a lot, but my lab work comes back great and I'm a pretty big guy (near 260 at 5'11" at around 12% bodyfat) who does a lot of silly athletic things (I love crossfit, training for my sport, and tumbling with my kids).

All the best,
Arden
Old 11-07-2006, 01:01 PM   #30
Damon Stewart

Profile:
Stephen,
If you don't mind answering, were there any other issues with your kidneys? One of the reasons I'll even take Creatine is that it's been studied for so long....What exactly did he measure and what was wrong?