CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-07-2010, 06:49 PM   #1
Dylan Johnson

Profile:
Can anybody help me out on cages?

My family is building a garage gym, we are looking for a power cage. the cage will double as our pull up bar. I am 6' 2" so the sorinex basefit system being 8' is looking like the way to go. The issue is my family wants a lat pulldown pulley attachment. Does anybody know of either a cage with pulley system that is 8', or an attachment that would fit onto the basefit system?
Old 11-07-2010, 08:00 PM   #2
Ben Moore

Profile:
Re: Can anybody help me out on cages?

Have you looked at the elitefts systems?
Old 11-07-2010, 09:30 PM   #3
Dylan Johnson

Profile:

I am not sure if I have seen their products, I have been googling as many different combinations of the words power cage and squat rack and checking out all the links. I will give Elite Fitness a look specifically.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:30 AM   #4
Andrew White

Profile:

Elite is going to be expensive. It is great stuff, don't get me wrong, one of two or three companies, Rogue and Sorinex being the other two, that makes really bomb-proof stuff.

Why not just get a standard squat cage and use bands for pull-up assistance? In a lot of ways that will give you a superior workout anyway, and open up a ton of options that are better made and more economical? [See Rogue's R-3 and R-4 racks as well as Sorinex's stuff] You can loop a band around the pull-up bar and then stick a foot in it to provide assistance.

I know that can be kind of intimidating, it scares the heck out of my girlfriend [she's worried it will fly off and snap her] but it works, doesn't really hurt if it does snap and is probably cheaper.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:57 AM   #5
Bert Sorin

Profile:

One way to have band assistance without choking the band on the chin-up bar and risking a painful face or nut shot is to run the band(s) horizontally between the uprights at the desired height for specific resistance. That way, the same band can be used for varied resistance (moved vertically or feet placed wider or narrower on the band), multiple bands maybe set up at the same time for scaled progression or different level athletes. Much easier to enter and exit from, (feet don't get caught in the bands when trying to exit). We have looped them over the j-cups, and although it works for a while, the bands (being a perishable tool in your box), will wear out over time rubbing on the steel corners of the j-cups if they are not padded. Another solution is to use bolt on rubber rollers like we do in our training center, which double as j-cups, and a wonderful set up for band pull-up stations. I will try to post a video soon of this set up. We will have these available for our BaseFit system soon, as we have found it to be very effective over the last few years. Lots of new stocked pieces for the BaseFit system coming very soon, stay tuned. If you have any suggestions of what you would like to see, feel free to give me a call 803 750 9039 or email bert@sorinex.com

Stay Strong,
Bert Sorin
Old 11-08-2010, 03:30 PM   #6
Dan B. Jones

Profile:

I have always been a fan of tuff stuff but youre going to have a hell of a time finding a 8' tall rack with a high low pulley built in. Cybex, life fitness, precor, icarian all make (or made) 8' tall racks for commercial applications.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:02 PM   #7
Dylan Johnson

Profile:

I honestly am happy with my rings and a basefit cage by sorinex which is 8'. I will present the option of using bands as resistance instead of selector plates, that is a good idea. I'll go look at those brands Dan. Thanks for all the input folks.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:53 AM   #8
Dan B. Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Johnson View Post
I honestly am happy with my rings and a basefit cage by sorinex which is 8'. I will present the option of using bands as resistance instead of selector plates, that is a good idea. I'll go look at those brands Dan. Thanks for all the input folks.
Tuff Stuff is out of Cali too. Every once in a while you can come across one used on eBay. The nice thing about the 8' racks is that they dont fit most basements so you have less people looking for them. I have seen a used Cybex rack go for $150. One other suggestion would be to go to Cybex or TuffStuffs website and find the authorized dealer in your area. Give them a call and see what they have in their used inventory.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:27 PM   #9
Seth Spritz

Profile:

Hi Dylan,

I agree with everyone above about using bands. It may be hard to convince your family but it's worth a try.

Way back when, I ordered the Powertec cage with the lat tower (http://www.powertecfitness.com/produ...nch-power-rack WFS). I may have used the lat tower for about a year but eventually got rid of it because it was wasting space. The cage is an excellent value at $499 but the lat tower (while fine for its purpose) turned out for me to be an extra $449 thrown away.

The Powertec rack is only 83.5 inches tall but I removed the funny bent and too-low pullup handles and put in a ceiling mounted Studbar which is much nicer for pullups.

I'm not necessarily recommending the Powertec cage ... just bringing it up because of my personal experience with buying a cage with a lat tower. I also have the BW products rack (http://www.bwproducts.com/fitness/eq...rline/p06d.htm WFS) at another home and it has a nice straight pullup bar at 90" from the floor.

Last edited by Seth Spritz; 11-09-2010 at 02:35 PM..