CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-01-2009, 01:38 PM   #1
Grant Kim

Profile:
Nutrition for CFSB

So my question is, should your nutrition be any different from doing a CF wod to a CFSB wod? I've been doing CF for about 2 years and just started the zone not too long ago. I'm 21/150lbs/5'6". And for people who are doing CFSB, what are you guys taking in before and after the wods?
Old 06-01-2009, 02:01 PM   #2
Antun Karlovac

Profile:
Re: Nutrition for CFSB

Hey Grant,

I started the Zone and CFSB simultaneously, so I have nothing to compare it to before. However, I'm about your size (152lbs/5'9" now) but a little older (31).

I've been having 5 block meals and 3 block snacks. (i.e. the "hard gainer" suggestion in the journal article). Total 21 blocks/day.

My breakfast is the only not-too-favorable meal - I have oatmeal (juiced-up with milk, protein powder and a little tofu. Other than that I'm sticking to the favorable options. (Only eaten pasta once in the last couple of months).

At that intake, I lost 13lbs, but still got stronger and never really had issues with energy levels for the workouts. I've started eating a bunch more fat, since I feel I need it. (Usually almonds throughout the day, extra olive oil over lunch/dinner, flaxseed on snacks).

Hope that helps.

-Antun
Old 06-01-2009, 02:11 PM   #3
Ben Gallardy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Kim View Post
So my question is, should your nutrition be any different from doing a CF wod to a CFSB wod? I've been doing CF for about 2 years and just started the zone not too long ago. I'm 21/150lbs/5'6". And for people who are doing CFSB, what are you guys taking in before and after the wods?
Hey Grant,

I haven't changed anything about my nutrition aside from quantity. I work out fasted in the morning and then usually have a post workout smoothie with fresh fruit, ice, whey protein, raw eggs, nuts, soy milk or real juice, etc. For the rest of the day I eat as Paleo as I can, and eat til I am satisfied. 3 meals a day, snacks in between, high fat, high protein and try not to eat past 7-8 at night. Days that I workout hard I definitely eat more food than days I do not. Tried the zone for a while but I just like to eat to much! Felt like I was in constant hunger. I Just try to keep it clean now and quantity has not been an issue.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:15 PM   #4
Grant Kim

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Gallardy View Post
Hey Grant,

Tried the zone for a while but I just like to eat to much! Felt like I was in constant hunger.
Hey Ben, if you don't mind me asking, whats the difference between Paleo diet and Zone dieting?
Old 06-01-2009, 02:37 PM   #5
Jakub Kruhlik

Profile:

Ben,

Any digestive issues from putting raw eggs in your shake? Been thinking about just tossing in raw eggs but wasn't sure whether it would affect my body digesting all of the nutrients properly.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:48 PM   #6
Ben Gallardy

Profile:

Quote:
Hey Ben, if you don't mind me asking, whats the difference between Paleo diet and Zone dieting?
Grant there are a million posts on this forum on these topics. Do a search for all the info you will ever need.

But basically, Paleo restricts your food intake to only vegetables, lean meat, nuts and seeds, some fruit. No grains, no starch, no sugar, no dairy or anything processed. Doesn't necessarily restrict quantity however. Think Quality.

Zone is less restrictive on the types of foods you can eat. It allows you to eat the grains, starches, dairy, etc. but you have to measure them for correct quantities. Think Quantity.

Paleo zone is the ultimate hybrid where you measure your paleo foods for optimum results. Think Quality AND Quantity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakub Kruhlik View Post
Ben,

Any digestive issues from putting raw eggs in your shake? Been thinking about just tossing in raw eggs but wasn't sure whether it would affect my body digesting all of the nutrients properly.
No issues Jakub. But, my body is used to that type of food. Eat raw meat (beef, fish and venison) all the time. Used to drink raw milk. Not sure how your diet is now but you may notice some funny things happening with your digestive system if you go from a processed food diet straight into raw foods, such as eggs. Give it a shot. Make sure to use good quality stuff and you will be fine.

Last edited by Ben Gallardy; 06-01-2009 at 02:50 PM..
Old 06-01-2009, 03:30 PM   #7
Grant Kim

Profile:

Thanks Ben, I have been looking around the forums for such diets as Paleo and Zone. So from my understanding, Paleo, as long as your eating the right food it doesn't matter how much you eat of it correct? And if so, have you seen great results from it? As of now, I'm tryin to cut some body fat off me and get a bit leaner. Because I too love to eat. Will the Paleo diet get me leaner as long as I'm taking in the right food? Because its hard for me to grasp that, as long as your eating chicken(for example), you can eat as much as you want, you'll get lean?
Old 06-01-2009, 03:34 PM   #8
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I eat 6 raw eggs every morning and most nights
Old 06-01-2009, 03:44 PM   #9
Antun Karlovac

Profile:

Depending on how strict/disciplined you are, this is kind of true of the Zone. Your food groups are divided into carbs/proteins/fats. For each one, there are favorable and unfavorable ones. Broccoli is a favorable carb. So if you're eating a 5-block meal, and sticking to favorable foods, you'd need to eat 10 cups of broccoli. In that case, you could eat as much as you like, since you probably wouldn't actually finish 10 cups of broccoli (along with some protein and fat).

This is what I've been doing and I can't recommend it enough. Never been as lean as I am now.

-Antun

Quote:
So from my understanding, Paleo, as long as your eating the right food it doesn't matter how much you eat of it correct?
Old 06-01-2009, 08:03 PM   #10
Grant Kim

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antun Karlovac View Post
For each one, there are favorable and unfavorable ones.

-Antun
What do you mean by favorable and unfavorable? Sorry I'm still pretty new to this dieting thing.