CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 03-13-2008, 10:21 PM   #11
Paul Nguyen

Profile:
Re: Some tips for a better/more proper deadlift

Thanks for the advice, guys. I think I understand what you mean about bringing the scapulas over the bar and to have my arms at a slight slant at the beginning. Like being more forward with my shoulders past the bar and my body more level to the ground? I'm out of town and I tried it without the weights and almost feels like I might fall forward but I'm sure the weights'll hold me in place.

As for lifting more weight, my goal is to atleast deadlift twice my body weight by the end of this summer. I've never really done much deadlifting before so I'm not sure how much weight is a whole lot / impressive or how to do them with proper form so I'm starting off light first few goes and then I'll be on my way =]

PS. As for my reaction to the screaming, I turned on my x-ray vision and did a quick scan. Didn't find anything out of the ordinary, so I switched it off. I decided I would do a few deadlifts real quick and go check on it if the screaming continued. The screaming stopped, so I guess whatever caused the screaming stopped too. Kidding. I soon called the police to have em check it out. Never found out what the deal was.

Last edited by Paul Nguyen; 03-13-2008 at 10:26 PM..
Old 03-14-2008, 01:22 AM   #12
Kevin Bean

Profile:

You'll know you're right when you could draw a virtual lign from your scapula straight down to the barbell. This position will have your deltoids slightly infront of the bar. It appears to my amateur eye that if you lifted your butt a little higher, you'd have the position.

In the starting position your shins will have a forward lean (as opposed to being completely vertical). You want to open your knee angle first as you raise the bar so that the shins straighten out as the bar raises to clear the knees.

Your goal is to raise the bar in as straight of a vertical line as possible.

To be honest, your form isn't perfect but it's pretty good.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:02 AM   #13
Mirza Besic

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stirling View Post
I can't comment much on the deadlifts because I know that my form isn't perfect and I'm still working on it too. I will comment on the police calling question. I can tell you that I would rather get called out and nothing be wrong than to not get a call and find a dead person later. There are exceptions to that rule and a few are listed below (bear in mind that we will go to these calls and happily, but I would rather not if I had a choice):

1) If your 12 year old is out of control because they will not go to bed

2) If you have a racoon (opossum, any other animal) sitting on your porch and you think it must be dangerous

3) If a soda machine does not give you back the correct change

4) If you have any complaints about aliens (ghosts, ghouls, goblins, pixies, fairies, or other mythical monsters or other creatures) and you are afraid that you will get your brain scanned (anal probed, cancer from gamma rays, speared by a unicorn, mentally altered by the ogre in your closet), I can tell you that it is probably not the police that you should be contacting. If you do contact us, however, we will be happy to place you in touch with the correct authorities on this matter.

I could go on with examples forever but the bottom line, you think you heard screaming, go ahead and give a call. If they don't find anything, so be it.

You deff don't live in Detroit. That's for damn sure. In Detroit when your house alarm goes off and you call the police because somone's jacking your stuff, its considered a non-priority call and can take them upwards of 2-3 hours to get there.

Go DPD.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:38 AM   #14
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Bean View Post
You'll know you're right when you could draw a virtual lign from your scapula straight down to the barbell. This position will have your deltoids slightly infront of the bar. It appears to my amateur eye that if you lifted your butt a little higher, you'd have the position.

In the starting position your shins will have a forward lean (as opposed to being completely vertical).

Raising his butt will make his shins MORE vertical. Which is fine.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:57 AM   #15
Allen Yeh

Profile:

A few things:

-Don't look up but definitely don't look down either. Fix your gaze somewhere in the middle keep it there.
-Follow through with your hips, you are stopping short of lockout it seemed like on your reps. A good habit to get into with lighter weights is to squeeze with your glutes. You want to hip extension not back extension, for the longest time I wasn't quite locking out and extending with my back and would wonder why oh why would my back start hurting when I'd get close to 2x bodyweight. It's a bad habit to have and better to nip it in the bud earlier than later.

T-nation has a couple of decent articles by Eric Cressey on the deadlift, I'd check them out to view the difference between extending with the back and the hips.