CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 11-04-2007, 05:47 AM   #11
Dave Matteson

Profile:
Re: CrossFit better than Google???

This is probably my last post in this thread before I'm going to throw the towel in the wash. PM as desired.

Here's one more perspective which I hope might convince some of you guys and ladies on the fence about getting the flu vaccine.

I think it's probably safe to say that the majority of us (and I'm trying to emphasize people on this board) don't get the "flu" every year, whether we get the vaccine or not. The problem is, more of us get infected by the influenza virus than we realize. Healthy people often get only cold-like symptoms when they're infected with influenza. Which is great, because we don't have to deal with the fever, chills, and muscle aches.

However, you can still SPREAD the virus to your close contacts, especially the young, old, ill, diabetics, immunosuppressed, etc. I think everyone has at least one close contact that fits into at least one of those categories.

So, even if you don't think you personally can gain much from a flu vaccine, I would encourage you to consider who you might be able to protect by getting one.

Here's a WFS link to a short discussion about the topic of "herd immunity" and the usefulness of vaccination. It does not discuss the flu in particular, but I think it provides a springboard for thought. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herd_immunity
Old 11-04-2007, 09:46 AM   #12
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:

"Nor does bottled aspirin, and yet many people take daily aspirin for pain relief and/or its cardiovascular benefits. "

Which is pretty sad, given the HIGH risk of side-effects and the fact that natural anti-inflammatories have much safer profiles and better results in improving overall mortality.

On the flu vaccine I will say this: Sufficient Vitamin D trumps the flu vaccine any day in terms of efficacy (the efficacy of the flu vaccine is VERY over rated in otherwise healthy patients).

In evaluating the flu vaccine, one also has to take a look at the other ingredients in the vaccine, which are quite scary.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:40 PM   #13
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Matteson View Post
Could that happen? Sure. But the vaccine as we know it has been around for more than 60 years in the U.S. If it were truly detrimental, I think substantial evidence would have showed up by now.
Well, just make sure your vaccine is free of the following (most vaccines have one or more of these):

Ethylene glycol (antifreeze)
Phenol, also known as carbolic acid (this is used as a disinfectant, dye)
Formaldehyde, a known cancer-causing agent
Aluminum, which is associated with Alzheimer's disease and seizures and also cancer producing in laboratory mice (it is used as an additive to promote antibody response)
Thimerosal (used as a mercury disinfectant/preservative) can result in brain injury and autoimmune disease
Neomycin and Streptomycin (used as antibiotics) have caused allergic reaction in some people.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:10 PM   #14
Garrett Smith

Profile:

Aspirin, especially taken on a regular basis, is not that safe in terms of chronic GI irritation.

The negative evidence on vaccines is accumulating, especially in people's minds and observations--it may never show up on paper that much here--but it is showing up in other countries.

I wouldn't touch it. Call it what you will, but all too often my sickest patients (with chronic problems) are the ones who get nearly every vaccine that comes out, always right on schedule.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:44 PM   #15
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

The vaccine is not worse than the actual virus. Pretty obvious. If it wasn't then why bother with a vaccine in the first place?
Old 11-04-2007, 11:21 PM   #16
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lopez-Ota View Post
The vaccine is not worse than the actual virus. Pretty obvious. If it wasn't then why bother with a vaccine in the first place?
If anyone can prove me wrong, speak up please.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:13 AM   #17
Jared Buffie

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lopez-Ota View Post
If anyone can prove me wrong, speak up please.
According to the WHO's official numbers, influenza only kills around 1000 Americans per year (look into how they come up with the 30000+ numbers and it will blow your mind). Over 90% of those are above 65, and immuno-comprimised.

That having been said, the flu shot is one vaccine that still contains Thimersol (mercury - the 2nd most toxic substance on the planet). For an idea of what mercury does to your brain, watch this (w/f safe).

And they recommend that shot for young children and pregnant mothers - two groups where neuronal development shoud be the utmost concern(mercury has been proven to cross the placenta as well as the blood-brain barrier).

On top of that, less than 10% of people with "flu-like illness" actually test positive for the flu.

So why the mass innoculations? Easy... follow the $.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:01 AM   #18
Daniel Fannin

Profile:

Is there a place where one can research the ingredients in each version of these vaccines?
Old 11-05-2007, 12:56 PM   #19
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Fannin View Post
Is there a place where one can research the ingredients in each version of these vaccines?
I asked my kids' doc before they gave my daughter her vaccines a while back to make sure it was mercury free, he said they were. I presume the doctor should know, but you should be able to ask the doc and make him provide you some sort of assurance (signed paper, whatever with the name/manufacturer, etc)
Old 11-05-2007, 02:33 PM   #20
Daniel Fannin

Profile:

Matt,

Thanks. I'm military, so quite frankly I don't trust the docs. I (and some friends) have nearly died one to many times because of them and as a result I have zero trust for the military doctor unless I know them personally.

Daniel