CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-07-2015, 03:28 PM   #21
Joey Allen

Profile:
Re: comprehensive barbell list 2015

Lot of great info in these past few posts. There's so many great bars out right now.

I haven't seen much info on American Barbell so I thought I'd add my thoughts..
I picked up the American Barbell 20kg SS Comp Bearing Bar about 5 months ago. It's got a stainless steel shaft, ghost center knurl, a very cool looking recessed weld on the sleeves, and hard chromed sleeves. I haven't lifted on enough bars to really compare whip, but this thing flat out rocks. The stainless looks like the day I bought it, and the knurling is a thing of beauty. It's knurling depth is less than my Rogue Castro V2 bar (bare steel Ohio bar), but somehow still feels very secure. Impossible to describe so I'll add a photo for a reference. Spin is very smooth, but not crazy fast like many of the common bearing bars. It's really a joy to use.

Anyway, just wanted to share. If you fancy a stainless steel oly bar, there aren't many options out there. I've actually owned the Ivanko stainless olympic bar (OBS-20kg), and the American Barbell is much better for oly lifting than the Ivanko.. mainly due to the smoother spin and better knurling design on the AB.

(link is w/f/s) http://americanbarbell.com/collectio...on-bearing-bar
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	large.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	377.9 KB
ID:	13769   Click image for larger version

Name:	AB SS Bearing.jpg
Views:	713
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	13770  
Old 04-07-2015, 10:56 PM   #22
Ryan McGrotty

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Morris View Post
Pretty thorough review by Hook Grip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttlpKdeTWDU (wfs)

Barbells included in this review:
Again Faster Klokov bar
ZKC training bar
Worksan training bar
Rogue Olympic WL bar (American)
Rogue Olympic WL bar (European)
old Eleiko training bar
Worksan lion bar
Eleiko sport bar
old Rogue bushing bar
York split sleeve bar

This video includes standardized tests for barbell weight, whip, and spin. Knurl is also reviewed and described in subjective terms.

Summary:
Barbell weight has slight variance, acceptable to all trainers short of Olympic competition.
Whip doesn't vary at all among these barbells.
Spin varies, but more spin isn't always better.

Not impartial conclusion (conflicts of interest explained at the beginning of the video):
#1 best value - AF Klokov bar
#1 overall preference - Rogue WL bar
#1 for more aggressive knurling, longevity - Eleiko
Cool review!

What I wonder is where the price differences come from. That was the most interesting thing to me besides the whip test. It seems like most of the differences were personal preference of the reviewer, so where is the extra $500 in cost from the Klokov to the Eleiko or Werksan? Something in the bearings we can't see? Or just a name brand?

There was basically nothing that the average weightlifter could point to and say, "Oh, that's a better bar because of xyz factor." Not even spin is a true indicator.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:30 AM   #23
Struan Potter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan McGrotty View Post
Cool review!

What I wonder is where the price differences come from. That was the most interesting thing to me besides the whip test. It seems like most of the differences were personal preference of the reviewer, so where is the extra $500 in cost from the Klokov to the Eleiko or Werksan? Something in the bearings we can't see? Or just a name brand?

There was basically nothing that the average weightlifter could point to and say, "Oh, that's a better bar because of xyz factor." Not even spin is a true indicator.
The main thing with the extra cost is the IWF certification, which is not cheap. The build quality of an IWF brand bar is also much higher than the Klokov bar, so I would be more confident of an IWF brand bar lasting a lifetime compared to the Klokov bar.

As I said in a previous post, the main separator will be personal preference.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:06 AM   #24
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Klokov bar is a hybrid bushing bearing bar byt I still hwar its geeat.

IWF cert $$ fir WL is low to mid 6 digits I read on wlforums
Old 04-08-2015, 09:37 AM   #25
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Miller View Post
There needs to be a more robust method to test the whip, but I'll admit I don't know what that is.
Their method to test whip is pretty clever. Like you say, this method may skew results to make the whip of all bars more uniform. Also like you say, I can't imagine any better way to test whip. This may be the best, if theoretically imperfect, method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Flagg View Post
Nowadays, the choices are so great it is probably hard to go wrong with any of them.
Agreed! It's a great time to be into weightlifting and powerlifting. There are a lot of great barbells out there to choose from, and competition is making them affordable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan McGrotty View Post
What I wonder is where the price differences come from.
So if you're not going for IWF certifcation and just want to make a great bar, you can sell it for a great price.

Also, Again Faster is a relatively new player in barbell production. They may put up with a smaller profit margin to get their bar out there into use so people can see how good it is. As a positive reputation develops and weightlifters associate the AF bar with value and quality, they can inch up their price.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:15 AM   #26
Steven Thunander

Profile:

That Werksan Lion bar looks like a good deal...
Old 04-13-2015, 09:04 PM   #27
Peter Keller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
IWF cert $$ fir WL is low to mid 6 digits I read on wlforums
I looked into IWF certifying the Vaughn Bar in the early stages of development and decided to table indefinitely once I heard $100k...
Old 04-21-2015, 07:01 PM   #28
Steven Thunander

Profile:

I'm hoping to have a review of the Klokov bar up by the end of the month. My box just got two of them. Thus far, from just touching them, the center knurl is more aggressive than a Chan bar, but seems lighter than that of an Ohio bar, Rogue bar 2.0, or a legacy Team AF bar. I will have to play around with it in a few WODs and some strength work to get a better feel.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:06 PM   #29
Steven Thunander

Profile:

So here is my review on the Klokov bar thus far...

I did a WOD today with clean grip deadlifts and 100 DL for time with 5 burpee penalty at 185lbs. The bar feels less agressive than the current generation Rogue multipurpose bar, but stuck fine during the metcon (got 35, 25, 20, 20 DL just fine). I also did a power clean with it at 185lbs, it flew up without any resistance and spun well. It drops quieter than the Rouge bar 2.0, about the same as the Ohio bar. I hope to do some cleans on it next week to see how bad the center knurl scratches me up.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:26 AM   #30
Robbie Nelson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thunander View Post
I hope to do some cleans on it next week to see how bad the center knurl scratches me up.
Help cure my ignorance... What is the purpose of center knurl?