CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-29-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
Dave Andrews

Profile:
Tips on Dumping Weight

Im pretty new to Olympic Lifts, and stuff like OHS. Ive never actually dumped a barbell from overhead. On some videos Ive seen from CrossfitHQ guys often seem to barely miss dropping the weight on their head when they fail on a lift. I would like to know if you guys have any tips for dumping weight from overhead, to avoid injury at all costs. Thanks to all !

FYI - I am using bumper plates and Oly Platform
Old 01-29-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: Tips on Dumping Weight

Duck and run?

Seriously though, if you have any kind of spatial awareness you can usually tell when and which direction a lift is going to fail, and then guide it that way while getting your body in the opposite direction.

The disasters usually come when somebody is fighting for a lift they shouldn't be or not focusing on the lift. It's all well and good when maxing out to struggle a little to stand a lift up, but fighting for lockout overhead to me is not worth the chance of injury, not to mention it wouldn't really count for a competition lift, if you care at all about that kind of thing on your technique.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
William Miller

Profile:

I've wondered this on (low bar) back squats (with bumpers and no cage). If you are vertical enough stepping forward and letting the weight fall backwards seems easy enough, but if you get bent a little forward on the fail then I am not sure what you would do if not in a cage (or other equipment allowing you to set the weight down).
Old 01-29-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
Jeff Enge

Profile:

I do high bar squats predominantly, so it's a little different story, but that's what I do, just kind of dump it off my back while hopping forward so it doesn't bounce onto me. Really the only bad one I had was when I got stuck too far back all the way at the bottom of a clean. Good thing I am skinny enough that when I fell back I fit under the bar and it didn't squish me!
Old 01-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
I do high bar squats predominantly, so it's a little different story, but that's what I do, just kind of dump it off my back while hopping forward so it doesn't bounce onto me. Really the only bad one I had was when I got stuck too far back all the way at the bottom of a clean. Good thing I am skinny enough that when I fell back I fit under the bar and it didn't squish me!
It can be a bit crazy, but the proper way to fail on a backsquat is to throw your hips forward hard, while pushing back with your shoulders (there was a great video (I believe of max aita, showing his failed squat attempts over a long period then finally hitting a PR, it was basically a compilation of how to textbook fail a heavy BS, can't seem to find the vid tho). You should end up in a kneeling upright position, with the bar at least at your ankles or completely behind you.

If it's from overhead, it's pretty easy (or should be) to control the fall of the bar enough to keep it from dropping on your head, it is mainly only this cases where you are at muscle failure and trying to force questionable reps where this becomes an issue.

Last edited by Rebecca Roth; 01-29-2013 at 02:14 PM..
Old 01-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
It can be a bit crazy, but the proper way to fail on a backsquat is to throw your hips forward hard, while pushing back with your shoulders (there was a great video (I believe of max aita, showing his failed squat attempts over a long period then finally hitting a PR, it was basically a compilation of how to textbook fail a heavy BS, can't seem to find the vid tho). You should end up in a kneeling upright position, with the bar at least at your ankles or completely behind you.

If it's from overhead, it's pretty easy (or should be) to control the fall of the bar enough to keep it from dropping on your head, it is mainly only this cases where you are at muscle failure and trying to force questionable reps where this becomes an issue.
That's pretty much exactly what I was attempting to say on the squat... you just said it a lot better than me
Old 01-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #7
Patrick Rushbrook

Profile:

That's the way I've done it. I've never had trouble throwing my hips forward on a back squat fail. I HATE having a spotter right behind me and touching my sides ready to pull me up if I struggle. Just let me dump it. If I fail on the lift it'll be at the first push up the legs so I really don't end up in that position to collapse forward. Knock on wood.. I squat with safety bars at home now though, so it's all good. For front movements most people I see are failing to get under the bar properly so it tends to just fall forward anyway. Just be careful and don't take chances with the rep and put yourself in a bad spot.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:14 PM   #8
Tricia Magrini

Profile:

I have bailed a back squat forward and don't recommend it. I drove my butt up too high and just couldn't get the weight back enough so I ducked my head and it damn near scalped me. I won't max out my squats without a spotter anymore and it sucks to be skeered!
Old 01-29-2013, 06:39 PM   #9
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia Magrini View Post
I have bailed a back squat forward and don't recommend it. I drove my butt up too high and just couldn't get the weight back enough so I ducked my head and it damn near scalped me. I won't max out my squats without a spotter anymore and it sucks to be skeered!
Hate to admit it, but so have I. I have a small scar/discoloration on my head to prove it; where the knurling grabbed my skin and ripped off a patch.

Embarrassing and humbling moment. And, yeah, I won't be maxing my back squat again without a spotter any time soon.

- Mark
Old 01-29-2013, 09:13 PM   #10
Keith Miller

Profile:

If you want to be more confident on bailing an overhead lift, primarily the snatch grip, do this: Get your bar and overhead squat it, then, while in the bottom of the OHS, do some practice dropping it in front of you and in back of you using straight arms and basically guiding down under some control. You can also use some light bumpers. Do 5-10 reps or so just to get yourself comfortable so you don't panic when a lift is out of place. Usually, your body will instinctively move out of the way, but sometimes not, so the practice is warranted!!