CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-23-2007, 08:44 PM   #1
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
I was doing a workup to 1RM on squats today, and when I was at about 80% of my previous 1RM I was doing 8 reps, and on the 6th rep I got a kinda sharp pain, thought it was my belt/shorts pinching something (I was lazy and didn't change into exercise shorts today), I went for the 7th and at the bottom of the squat, same thing, only more intense, and this time it was a burning until I finally got the bar back on the squat cage mount.

The pain I felt was basically, imagine you've got a belt on, it'd be right under the belt, about 1 1/2 to 2 inches from the center of your torso (the line your belly button is in). It kinda felt like a surface pain, but also didn't feel like a surface pain, it was weird.

I thought it was odd, so I took off the belt and did another set of 3 just to try it, it seemed fine. So I went up to 92% of my previous 1RM and was going to do a set of 6 (I smelled a personal record coming on), I got to number 3 and the same intense pain came back, and I had to stop again, ...

So rather than be pigheaded, I'm sitting on the computer trying to figure out what the heck happened. I don't think it was a pinching thing, maybe a pulled muscle? I'm hoping not a hernia, or anything else that may need long term rest or surgery. It definitely doesn't feel serious, I have zero pain right now, and if I poke around on those muscles (flexed or relaxed) it doesn't hurt, and I don't feel any huge bulges or anything, so I'm fairly sure it's not a hernia, but who knows, I'm no doctor.

Anyhow, anyone have any ideas? Maybe just a near-pulled or pulled muscle?
Old 06-23-2007, 09:30 PM   #2
Rich Stackon

Profile:
My first guess would be a minor hernia. I am not a doctor, mind you! You don't need to have a bulge for it to be a hernia. It could be an area that may develop into a bulging hernia if you don't get it checked out or rest. Go see a doctor.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:55 AM   #3
Cal Jones

Profile:
I would have said hernia also, but it could be a small muscle tear. I remember doing seated cable rows about 10 or so years ago and leaned forward on the pull, and it felt like someone had undone a row of poppers under my shoulder blade. Very odd sensation, and hurt at the time but didn't turn out to be anything serious.
Nonetheless, see a doc, and get it checked out.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:35 AM   #4
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
crap, I was afraid someone was going to say that. Off to see the doc, what should I see a sports medicine doc?
Old 06-26-2007, 06:26 AM   #5
Joe Celso

Profile:
Matt - I've had that same pain in the past... I haven't felt it in the gym since I've had good squat/dead form though. Last time I felt it I was trying to pick up a really big rock. I have no idea what the pain is/was (just trying to sympathize I suppose). I always stop doing whatever is bringing the pain at the time and accept defeat or try again some other day.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:35 AM   #6
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Yeah I figure I'll take off some time from high effort squats.

I need to crack out the video camera and watch myself on the cheap-o "technique-o-vision" (TV) I brought out into the garage to monitor my off-ice workouts on cords.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:29 PM   #7
Mike Moore

Profile:
Hey Matt - If you end up getting a medical opinion, ask if it could be meralgia paresthetica caused by an impingement (by tight waistband or lifting belt) of the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve. I see this not uncommonly. Best of luck.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:19 AM   #8
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
No lifting belt, and the waistband was pretty darn loose. Sorry, I didn't specify, the "belt" was just a regular belt I put on to hold my old shorts up (again, I'm cheap and don't want to buy new shorts that fit my not-as-fat-around-the-gut-anymore self)

There wasn't any outer thigh pain or numbness, just in that one spot.