CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 04-07-2006, 07:00 PM   #1
Bob Pratt

Profile:
Hi my name is bob pratt and i'm pretty new to crossfit. i'm trying to adopt crossfit principals to my swimming workouts.
i'm a pretty average swimmer but love to be in the water (windsurfing/surfing/kayaking). i've searched the forums and found a little on swimming so i thought i'd make up some WODs of my own.

Here is one i made up & did last night;
i've named it "BOOMER" after my father a great swimmer and Korean war vet. He died last month.

For time:

swim 10 lengths of the pool - do 10 push-ups
swim 10 lengths of the pool - do 10 sit-ups
swim 10 lengths of the pool - do 10 squats
swim 8 lengths of the pool - do 20 push-ups
swim 8 lengths of the pool- do 20 sit-ups
swim 8 lengths of the pool - do 20 squats
swim 6 lengths of the pool - do 30 push-ups
swim 6 lengths of the pool - do 30 sit-ups
swim 6 lengths of the pool - do 30 squats
swim 4 lengths of the pool - do 40 push-ups
swim 4 lengths of the pool - do 40 sit-ups
swim 4 lengths of the pool - do 40 squats
swim 2 lengths of the pool - do 50 push-ups
swim 2 lengths of the pool - do 50 sit-ups
swim 2 lengths of the pool - do 50 squats

If done in a 25 yrd pool it's 2250 total
i swim in a 33 yrd pool it's 3000
and if you do it in a 50 m pool (Matt?) it would be 4500m

i finished in 77 minutes and was pretty wasted but know i can do better.

bob
Old 04-07-2006, 07:38 PM   #2
Jason Billows

Profile:
Bob,

That looks like a great workout. Good job. Only suggesion I'd have is to perhaps cut the required lengths in half. 77 minutes is pretty long for a CF style workout. I can't recall all of the reasons why longer workouts are problematic, but I'm sure there may be some others who can comment. I've seen posts talking about this and cortisol levels I think.

I love the name of the workout. Boomer just sounds like a workout that's going to rock you. And I'm sure that the connection to your father helped push you even harder.

I play underwater hockey and we do some pretty unique training at times. A new element that we have added is doing lengths with a flutterboard. However, instead of doing your traditional flutter kick with the board you actually submerge the board under the water and hold it flat out in front of you. Trying to push that through the water taxes your legs pretty quickly.

If you come up with other workouts, please post them. I'm always looking for new workouts in the water.

Old 04-09-2006, 10:43 PM   #3
Kemal Eren

Profile:
Bob, sorry to hear about your father. That workout looks like a tough one - I definitely agree that Boomer is a great workout name.

I also love water workouts. I've lived on the beach all my life, and I was a swimmer back in high school. I've given some thought to crossfit-style water workouts, but so far I haven't been very imaginative. They all seem to resemble existing workouts with swimming subbed for sprinting/rowing.

My brother's been training with a former Navy SEAL recently (he's in ROTC, and wants to go to BUD/S when he graduates). He told me about one of the drills they do that sounded particularly evil: just grab a heavy weight and run the length of the pool along the bottom.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:46 AM   #4
Jason Billows

Profile:
Kemal, do some searching on the forums. There have been some imaginative swim workouts posted.

One of my favourites requires a weighted brick and forces you to work in a state of apnea which really taxes your muscles and forces them to work with limited oxygen supply. Here's the workout in a nutshell...

Place a weight at the bottom of the deep end of a pool off to one side. Start your timer and swim across the pool and back. Once back at the wall you dive down, pick up the weight and carry it as far as you can along the bottom towards the other side of the pool. Wherever you surface, swim to the far side of the pool, back to the other end and then return to the brick. Again, dive down and carry the brick along the bottom. Keep repeating until you have taken the brick from one side of the pool to the other for a predetermined number of lenghts. Essentially you are sprinting two laps in between each carry of the weight.

It's a killer!