CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-01-2005, 07:53 AM   #1
Jason Simpkins

Profile:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSto...C-RSSFeeds0312
Old 10-01-2005, 09:33 AM   #2
Michael Hill

Profile:

Jason,

what are your opinions on the different type of water filters?
Old 10-01-2005, 09:49 AM   #3
Jason Simpkins

Profile:

Michael,

The only truly pure source of water is distilled. Distillation is a process of evaporation that transfers water molecules that are light as air into a separate sterilized chamber for collection and leaves behind all of the impurities that are heavier.

Many people argue that because distillation strips the water of all minerals that ingesting it may deplete the body of essential minerals over time. The debate is still out, but the way I remedy this is to simply add an essential mineral complex to each jug of water:

http://www.traceminerals.com/products/drops.html
Old 10-01-2005, 12:36 PM   #4
Ross Hunt

Profile:
I'm switching to Coke, stat!
Old 10-01-2005, 08:01 PM   #5
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
I have some nice Brita water filters that grow algae like nobody's business.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:37 PM   #6
Kalen Meine

Profile:
Or you could just drink tap water...seriously, dangerous fluoride levels are easy to recognize and aren't used as municipal water supplies, and all of the evidence for health problems amongst youngsters consuming fluoride has been amongst only the very young, with exceedingly rare diseases, and generally a reasonably fair trade for the demonstrable improvements in oral health. Seriously, the same website had an article touting the health benefits of eating dirt straight out of the ground- and we need to be drinking distilled water? Uh huh...
Old 10-03-2005, 10:44 PM   #7
Ted Williams

Profile:
I'm sorry...but tap water can give you cancer? Is anyone surprised by this? Anything can give you cancer....so many things, at different levels, can give you cancer that it would seem obvious that you can't really single any one thing out. Humans get diseases and die...its called life, and part of life is death. I seriously wish people would spend more time researching how to make everyone's lives BETTER while they are living...ie - doing something about the poverty levels, feeding starving people, alternate energy sources...smart fruit...we have smart bombs that can pinpoint and kill people from miles away, why not a rocket that can shoot a banana to a starving person from miles away?

Sorry...brain dumb...heading to bed...I drink bottled water because tap water tastes funny...unless I'm out of bottled water, in which case, I drink tap water....or beer.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:03 AM   #8
Matthew Scoble

Profile:
Amen, Ted. Amen.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:48 AM   #9
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
this is why I drink scope.

tap water is too dangerous.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:59 AM   #10
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Flouride is toxic, we know that. Ok. Note the article does not mention the degree of increase in risk of the cancer. It was wrong if the prof intentionally hid results, but floridated tap water shows dramatic improvement in oral health, for an increase in a risk for a rare bone cancer. What is the risk before/after drinking floridated tap water? Is it a change from 2 in a million to 3 in a million? 50% increase, pretty big statistically, but realistically I'll take that 1 in a million increased chance with the basically guaranteed chance that I'll get to keep my own teeth throughout my life.