CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 09-15-2009, 01:05 PM   #1
Anthony Rees

Profile:
Rippetoe Deadlift Set Up, What am i doing wrong?

I have been trying to do the Deadlift like Rippetoe says. Heres the Vid...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syt7A23YnpA

and heres my vid...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w1MnLES2kk
(May take a few mins to process)

as you can see i do exactly what he says,
bar over middle of foot, vertical jump stance
bend over with *** in air and grab bar
dip knees until they touch bar
squeeze chest up
pull!

am i doing it wrong? to me it looks as if my back is rounded and i just look in a wierd position?

please help me its doing my head in lol.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
Robert Callahan

Profile:
Re: Rippetoe Deadlift Set Up, What am i doing wrong?

dude you look fine.

The only thing I would say is your rushing a little. Take a good couple seconds to really squeeze your chest up hard and build up tension. Right now your chest goes up and you start the lift super fast.

Your back does not look rounded to me, and your posture looks fine.

Don't over think it, you are doing fine
Old 09-15-2009, 01:41 PM   #3
Michael Pilhofer

Profile:

Robert has the right advice.

Slow down a little bit on the "CHEST UP" position and feel like you are "sqeeeeeeezing" the weight off the ground. I wouldn't mind seeing your chin down a little more. Learn to bring your chest into extension independent of your chin needing to come up towards the horizon.

Well done and keep lifting. How much was that?
www.CrossFitMSP.com
Old 09-15-2009, 01:59 PM   #4
Anthony Rees

Profile:

thanks for the speedy replies, it has been stressing me, i keep thinking my technique is awful lol.

so basic advice is, when i come to the squeezing chest up slow down, build up tension and squeeze the bar off the floor, and dont crank my neck so much?

can you give me some advice on how to build up tension?

thats 130kg(the last one), at 67kg bodyweight, i did 140kg earlier in the day, i have been playing with techniques all day lol, really want to get it nailed so i can get on a program.

i tried lee haywards technique aswell (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkKvg...e=channel_page), where you start with the bar above the joints in your toes, i manged 140kg extremely easy, and managed do squeeze it off the floor better, but everyone seems to say rippetoes way is the best way. should i do rippetoes way which i find pretty hard, or should i do the way i find easier? tough choice
Old 09-15-2009, 05:29 PM   #5
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Do not do lee haywards technique or whoever the heck is that guy in the video... trust me.

As for how to build up tension, the best way I can think of to describe it is pulling all the slack out of the barbell. Or another way is to think about pulling on the barbell as hard as you can without actually picking it up. Hold that for a second and then start squeezing it up off the ground. Make sense?

Are you holding off starting a program because you think your deadlift form is off??? If this is the case you need to stop over analyzing things and start lifting weights. Your form is more than sufficient to warrant starting a program. As you build up you can work on perfecting the technique but you have no reason to hold off on a program right now. All you are doing is holding yourself back unnecessarily.

Good luck and Happy lifting
Old 09-18-2009, 02:13 PM   #6
Tish Traster

Profile:

I agree with the above posts. Just slow it down a bit. Take some time to transition from start to set position. I roll the bar away from my shins, then back to engage my lats and initiate tension in my chest. This is my first transition to set position, before extending my lumbar and thoracic spine.

You cannot compare your lift to someone else. Height, weight, arm and leg length are going to make the set position and the actual lift look very different for each individual.

You look fine! Good job actually.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:42 AM   #7
Anthony Rees

Profile:

hi guys thanks for the feed back. i did a bit of practising again yesterday, just ironing out some mistakes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI8m6...e=channel_page

as you can see i kept my head down instead of chicken necking, and i didnt rush so much.

once question i have though, is when should i take in the breath into my lungs before i pull to tighten up? as you can see i do it before i bend at the knees and squeeze my chest, but should i be taking the breath in when ive squeezed my chest up and am in the final stage before the pull?