CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-30-2009, 06:19 PM   #1
Nick Hoffman

Profile:
Starting Starting Strength

I've been CFing for 2 months now and I <3 it; but I think doing a bout of SS would be good for me.

Two questions:

1.) For CFers they recommended adding in 1-2 metcons after a month of SS vanilla. My question is where to put them? I was thinking maybe mon. ss/metcon, wed. ss, fri. ss/metcon.

2.) Nutrition (Zone). I'm pretty new to actually following an eating program and have been living off of microwave dinners most of my life (both sad and bad). From reading/ seeing other people's results, the zone looks like a good place to start.

I'm 19, 5'8" and 155lbs. I'm not really looking to bulk or gain weight, just increase strength. Does 19 blocks sound like a good starting point? How do I know if I need to up it and by how much?

According to the SS wiki, they recommend eating every 2 hours. Has anyone tried splitting up the meal blocks up to cover more time throughout the day? Such as shorten breakfast to 3 blocks, adding a snack of 2 blocks, lunch of 4 blocks, next snack 3 etc.

Thanks for tolerating my newbiness.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:45 PM   #2
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:
Re: Starting Starting Strength

Nick, great job trying to get your diet in order. Though, many people on here will tell you that it is more important to start eating the right TYPES of food before going on Zone (which is more of a portioning program). A lot of people on these boards would also recommend looking into the Paleo diet (as would I).

Start with eating the right kind of foods. Then portion it out with the zone.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:06 PM   #3
Jagtar Mukhtar

Profile:

i dont understand this whole 'let me do a bit of SS'. Everyone knows that if you stop squatting for a week you'll lose a lot of kg on your squat. Then what's the point of working up to a big squat only to stop and go back to being weak? what does this accomplish?
Old 07-30-2009, 07:29 PM   #4
Nick Hoffman

Profile:

My goal isn't to "get a big squat". Just to get strong enough to be able to do the weighted workouts closer to Rx.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:28 AM   #5
John Devine

Profile:

Nick, my LBM is just under 200 lb's and my zone Rx is 19 blocks. At 10% BF your LBM would be 140 lb's. Read CF Journal 21. You should be more like 13-14 blocks I would guess.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:42 AM   #6
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagtar Mukhtar View Post
i dont understand this whole 'let me do a bit of SS'. Everyone knows that if you stop squatting for a week you'll lose a lot of kg on your squat. Then what's the point of working up to a big squat only to stop and go back to being weak? what does this accomplish?
You sound upset about something....In any case, strength and muscle mass are some of the most persistent things in training, much more persistent than Met-con. Stop doing met-cons for 1.5 weeks and then retest yourself on Fran, it's very unlikely you'll hit a PR, whereas you could hit a PR on a strength related workout (this is essentially, though not entirely, what peaking for competition means). Yes, you need strengthwork to maintain and improve on SS.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:06 PM   #7
Randy Hill

Profile:

Nick, my goals are very similar to yours in that I want to be able to do the WODs as rx'd. I know you said you just want to get stronger and not necessarily bigger, but according to coach Rippetoe, they go hand in hand at some point.

My point is, if you are going to follow the program, you should do the whole thing - including eating a ton. Mark Rippetoe frequently reccomends a gallon of whole milk a day, eating a ton of meat and vegetables and fruit ~4x a day, etc. The reason being, it's going to be hard to do the program which uses linear progression 3x a week without eating a ton of food. From what I hear, a lot of people don't get the results they want from it simply because they are not eating enough.

I, for one, have suspended a paleo eating lifestyle for the 4 or so months I plan on doing SS. I figure if I am going to dedicate this small portion of my life to simply building my entire strength base, I can hold off on the clean eating for this short period of time.

I believe Rippetoe himself said that losing 10 lbs. of fat is easy compared to gaining 10 lbs. of muscle.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:23 AM   #8
Christopher Delgado

Profile:

I have to second what Randy said. If you are serious about SS, you are doing to have to eat stuff you wouldnt eat on Zone/paleo. You can do those things but its going to hold you back some. To get a long sustained linear increase in your lifts you have to put a lot of food in your body. I know when I started on SS I was still trying to eat cautiously and I was having trouble recovering in between workouts. I was reading Rip's Q&A board one day and he wrote something to effect of "you arent going to get stronger without a few trips to McDonalds along the way." That response was to a question about eating clean. At that point I pretty much threw caution to the wind and ate a lot. I did continue to limit carbs for the most part, other than post workout. But I ate a lot of proteins and fat. That included a lot of cheeseburgers (yes with buns, my one major divergence from limiting carbs).The difference in my recovery and in my strength gain were noticeable to me. And yeah you probably will put on a little bodyfat.

Its not all doom and gloom though. I did actually reach a tipping point of sorts. My weight gain finally plateaued and then I started to drop some pounds but continued to get steady linear progression. My guess is that at that point I was carrying enough muscle weight that I was burning a lot of extra calories just walking around. But thats just speculation. I did definitely start to lose some pounds though.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:03 AM   #9
Steven Matheson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Delgado View Post
I have to second what Randy said. If you are serious about SS, you are doing to have to eat stuff you wouldnt eat on Zone/paleo.
I'll third that sentiment. The Zone is a weight loss diet (basically) and I defy anyone to produce a CF'er that gained substantial amounts of muscle on the basic Paleo diet.

On SS you gotta eat like it's your job....sometimes you'll hate your job, but you HAVE to do it. Potato, rice, milk should all be your friends on SS - introduce yourself and be polite.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:24 AM   #10
Randy Hill

Profile:

What about CFSB? Same deal?