CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-20-2014, 01:36 AM   #1
Carmen Malcolm

Profile:
Recovery Question

I'm 42 and have been doing CrossFit for about a year. I train 6 days a week but 2 out of those 6 days are relatively easy and low key - nothing hectic - we work on learning a new skill and on mobility. So, in essence I train really hard 4 days a week. Other than CrossFit I may run up and down steep stairs near my house from time-to-time or take my dogs for a long walk.

I'm wondering whether I should be using a recovery drink - some days I feel a little fatigued - perhaps I'm not recovering as quickly now that I'm in my 40s?

The only supplements I take are Omega 3 and Vitamin D3. I also take Glucosamine and Chondroitin for my joints. If I train in the morning, I'll have a protein shake straight after the WOD (protein powder, milk, banana and berries). I'm vegetarian so the protein power I use is usually pea, hemp or brown rice protein powder. I think I am getting enough protein because I eat alot of dairy. I also eat fish (salmon mostly) daily.

Should I be making use of a recovery drink for faster recovery (if so any suggestions - the more natural the better) or should I just stick with my protein shake and perhaps add some BCAAs and/or L-Glutamine?

I don't want to lose weight - I just get stronger and faster.

I'm 5.7; weigh 58kgs with about 18% body fat.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:39 AM   #2
Luke Sirakos

Profile:
Re: Recovery Question

Four hard workouts a week plus other stuff is a lot to recover from
Old 06-20-2014, 05:57 AM   #3
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

What is the EPA and DHA content of the omega-3 supplement you are taking?

Your "protein shake" likely has sufficient BCAAs (and ratios) and possibly L-gutamine in it. I would stick with a simple whey protein shake and make sure you are getting some carbohydrates with it.

Otherwise, I agree with Luke: cut down to 3 WODs/week.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:19 AM   #4
Phil Washlow

Profile:

How much D3? How much sleep are you getting? For supplements since you are a pescatarian I would suggest creatine.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:18 PM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Creatine would be good as would be Beta-Alanine. OTOH, that will allow her to train harder which means more load to recover from.

4 days is doable and about the most depending on programming besides the light days.

I'm 35 and I like 3 heavy days of WL plus another dedicated to just more strength work and conditioning and find it pretty doable. With 2 days of light stuff.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:31 AM   #6
Carmen Malcolm

Profile:

Thanks guys for responding.

Regarding the Omega-3s:

EPA = 800mg
DHA = 600mg

Vit D3 = 5000iu per day

I go to bed early (9:00pm) but get up early too (4:30am). That's seven and a half hours sleep. Problem is that I rarely sleep through the night - I'm a very light sleeper.

I'm pretty scared about taking creatine - not sure why. My husband has been telling me for years to take it. It occurs naturally in the body right? Any side effects? Water retention?
Old 06-21-2014, 07:06 AM   #7
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

http://examine.com/supplements/Creatine/

wfs
Old 06-21-2014, 10:40 AM   #8
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Very few supplements have been studied as much as creatine has, and nothing else (legal) that I'm aware of has been consistently proven to have the strength and power benefits of creatine. And it's pretty dang cheap--about $0.15 per day for a normal dose.

If it causes you to retain excess water then it's probably due to some impurities in the creatine. Though seeing how muscle tissue is about 70% water anyways, you will retain some water as a function of your muscles getting larger.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:37 PM   #9
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Op... Ppl have given some valid points here, but there very well could be a gender specific issue.

It's not uncommon for female athletes that training assertively to become iron deficient. High intense training, Can reduce iron stores in female athletes easily. Couple this with your vegetarian eating practices that you maybe not replenishing iron storage fast enough or optimally. ( nutritional anemic)
Diet
nutritional deficiencies (iron, zinc, folate or vitamin B12) contribute greatly to anemia in females. Often women do not eat much meat, especially red meat, which is the best source of iron and other nutrients.

Also, females sometimes take supplements such as calcium with their iron-rich meals that inhibit the absorption of iron. Mineral deficiencies or imbalances in zinc, copper, vitamin A, B complex, and C can also lead to anemia in females because of their diets or because of impaired absorption.

Possibly even being anemic due to failing iron production ( iron deficiency syndrome ) Or even blood loss. Menses falls into this category granted that 30 ml -normal average 5 day cycle to 250ml - heavy cycle is hardly blood loss per se but, it's the speed of iron production and red blood cell that can't keep keep up if basic building blocks are not there.

With that said, Follow up with your gp, Explain to them your issue get the necessary blood work ( inbox if necessary) and see where you land , then adjust accordingly. If your iron status is fine, well, then you need to revisit your programming and simply in another rest day or change up what your rest actually entails.

Several article for food for thought. Wfs
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/72/2/594s.full. Good explanation of nutritional anemia

http://breakingmuscle.com/nutrition/...ron-deficiency. Throwing becca. Fellow crossfitting diva a bone here

http://www.anemia.org/patients/featu...ectionid=00015. Female athletes

Good luck
Old 06-23-2014, 12:47 AM   #10
Carmen Malcolm

Profile:

Appreciate the response everyone.