CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-05-2010, 10:22 PM   #1
Andrew Breyer

Profile:
Insulin and LDLs -- Dr. Connelly's CFJ Seminar

I just finished watching the Journal video on Insulin and I've got to say that is some of the best material I've ever seen come out on this subject. Needless to say, this guy knows his stuff. I truly am a nerd when it comes to stuff like this. It is very inspiring to listen to a lecture from someone who is that passionate and articulate about this subject.

What did everyone else make of the video?

Also, I am unclear about a portion of it and it would be helpful if someone could clear that up.

I remember reading about this in Good Calories, Bad Calories.. the whole bit about production and purpose of LDL's and VLDL's. He diagrams them as being produced in the liver... but why?? Why does the liver need to produce triglycerides, and what sets this off? Why are LDL's a product of this?

Certainly the liver stores glycogen and regulates how it is put back into the blood stream, however this whole issue is quite unclear to me.

Can someone make sense of this for me? I am very curious.

Cheers,
Drew
Old 04-06-2010, 05:45 PM   #2
Andrew Breyer

Profile:
Re: Insulin and LDLs -- Dr. Connelly's CFJ Seminar

Really? No takers?

Am I the only one who is astounded at Connelly's breadth of knowledge?

I did watch it again, and cross-referenced GCBC about the cholesterol... It's still pretty foggy for me. To me it's very interesting, but so complex I think you could spend years and still not fully understand what's going on.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:11 PM   #3
Kevin J. Fleming

Profile:

I have proposed a "date" to my 4th year med student girlfriend of watching all three episodes together this weekend.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:01 PM   #4
Benjamin Wheeler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Breyer View Post
I just finished watching the Journal video on Insulin and I've got to say that is some of the best material I've ever seen come out on this subject. Needless to say, this guy knows his stuff. I truly am a nerd when it comes to stuff like this. It is very inspiring to listen to a lecture from someone who is that passionate and articulate about this subject.

What did everyone else make of the video?

Also, I am unclear about a portion of it and it would be helpful if someone could clear that up.

I remember reading about this in Good Calories, Bad Calories.. the whole bit about production and purpose of LDL's and VLDL's. He diagrams them as being produced in the liver... but why?? Why does the liver need to produce triglycerides, and what sets this off? Why are LDL's a product of this?

Certainly the liver stores glycogen and regulates how it is put back into the blood stream, however this whole issue is quite unclear to me.

Can someone make sense of this for me? I am very curious.

Cheers,
Drew
Drew,

After a high carbohydrate meal the liver will absorb the sugar overload left in the blood stream so it doesn't get too high. If the livers glycogen stores are already full, it will turn the sugar into triglycerides, then make VLDL particles to transport these triglycerides to be stored in adipose tissue.

There are actually two different types of VLDL particles (maybe more even?). One is made in the gut when you eat fat, these VLDL B-48 particles are harmless. But the VLDL B-100 lipoprotein that the liver makes is very harmful as it turns into the small dense LDL particle once it has dropped off the triglycerides and cholesterol to the tissues.

If you would like to read a very short and easy to understand essay on the topic, check this out:

http://www.thincs.org/Malcolm.htm#atkins2 (WFS) *WARNING* may increase knowledge regarding lipoproteins.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:01 AM   #5
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:

My understanding is that de novo lipogenesis only occurs with an exceptionally high carb intake, i.e. more than you energy requirements.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:11 PM   #6
Andrew Breyer

Profile:

@Wheeler - Awesome article! Thank you for passing that along. Definitely cleared things up.

@Flemming - Ha! I would give anything for a date like that! I don't think the seminar would go over well with many of the girls I know.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:20 AM   #7
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ger Lavin View Post
My understanding is that de novo lipogenesis only occurs with an exceptionally high carb intake, i.e. more than you energy requirements.
True.

You need a carbohydrate intake of at least 600-800g/d above energy requirements for a week or so before there's any de novo lipogenesis and even then it doesn't really contribute a great deal to fat stores. That's why you only really see evidence of it during clinical trials where there's deliberate massive overfeeding.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:49 AM   #8
David Joseph Danaher

Profile:

[QUOTE=Andrew Breyer;764708]Really? No takers?

I was pretty impressed. I just didn't reply because you're head and shoulders above my understanding, so there was nothing I was gonna clear up for you. I love that the way that he talks about it, for all his extensive knowledge, is like a guy sitting at a bar. Like he leans over and says "Hey buddy, wanna know something about insulin?" He's really smart, but he doesn't talk like a pompous professor, he talks like someone really excited about what he knows. Very cool.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:45 AM   #9
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:

[QUOTE=David Joseph Danaher;765502]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Breyer View Post
Really? No takers?

I was pretty impressed. I just didn't reply because you're head and shoulders above my understanding, so there was nothing I was gonna clear up for you. I love that the way that he talks about it, for all his extensive knowledge, is like a guy sitting at a bar. Like he leans over and says "Hey buddy, wanna know something about insulin?" He's really smart, but he doesn't talk like a pompous professor, he talks like someone really excited about what he knows. Very cool.
Good salesman from all those years of selling Met-Rx.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:03 AM   #10
Ryan Lynch

Profile:

Just watched it for the second time...will be probably need to watch it 3 or 4 more times.