CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-15-2010, 07:58 AM   #1
Adam Acosta

Profile:
Since You Guys Are Always Wondering About Sport Carry-Over

I thought you might be interested to know that the two winners of the SoCal sectionals this past weekend were collegiate track athletes. Ingrid Kantola was a heptathlete for UCLA and Storm Huie a 400m runner for UCI. I don't know about Ingrid, but since Storm trains at my affiliate, I know he's been doing CrossFit for just a shade under one year. It seems fairly self-evident to me that having the combination of strength, speed, power, and endurance that certain track and field events require will carry over once you learn the CrossFit-specific movement patterns, but there you have it. Both won by a fairly comfortable margin and I'll be eager to see how they do at regionals. Ingrid completely dominated, taking first in every workout without anyone particularly close behind her.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:50 AM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Re: Since You Guys Are Always Wondering About Sport Carry-Over

Interesting reversal - normally we're looking at how Crossfit carries over to sport, not which sport carries over best to Crossfit.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:05 AM   #3
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
Interesting reversal - normally we're looking at how Crossfit carries over to sport, not which sport carries over best to Crossfit.
Except for that I believe Adam brought this up because of the near-constant discussion of how elite athletes from "mainstream" sport would fair in the Crossfit Games.

- Mark
Old 03-15-2010, 11:09 AM   #4
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:

Storm was on fire this weekend, no doubt about it. It was a blast watching him perform. Tweak the WOD's just a bit and you may get different results. Two of the guys Storm beat this weekend, beat him at the Throwdown in January. One was a linebacker for ASU and the other a hockey player. Bottome line: they are exceptional athletes regardless of their background.

Ryan
Old 03-15-2010, 11:41 AM   #5
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Quote:
Tweak the WOD's just a bit and you may get different results.
I think that's a key point. Because Crossfit is supposed to encompass such a wide range of fitness attributes, it should be expected that results should vary depending on which attributes of fitness are given weight. For example, add 5 more muscle-ups to last year's Games and maybe Tany Wagner doesn't finish the last WOD. Or put more weight on the deadlifts and maybe Josh Everett would have made it through to Sunday. Or make the trail run a little longer and Kahlipa doesn't finish at all. In another example, Jeff Vale shredded this year's NW sectionals but missed qualifying for Aromas last year by a 2-to-1 judges decision on someone else's final deadlift.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:56 AM   #6
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Thatís not really anything new. Take any person who is actually a former athlete, put them in an exercise competition, the odds are they should do fairly well.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:41 PM   #7
Emily Mattes

Profile:

If die-hard Crossfitters--Crossfitters who started with Crossfit and have always used it as their primary method--aren't winning the Crossfit games, what does that say about Crossfit?
Old 03-15-2010, 11:54 PM   #8
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
If die-hard Crossfitters--Crossfitters who started with Crossfit and have always used it as their primary method--aren't winning the Crossfit games, what does that say about Crossfit?
Nothing...

At least until you have much more information...How long had ANY of the competitors at the sectional used CF as their primary training method? How dialed in is their diet, recovery methods? Did they follow strictly mainsite? There are so many variables that go into this...It would be worth noting though, maybe at Regionals the Regions could ask everyone that shows up how long they've been Crossfitting and if there is a particular programming they follow primarily?
Old 03-16-2010, 02:40 AM   #9
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Quote:
That it is unable to attract gifted athletes away from sports that pay real money?
Old 03-16-2010, 07:07 AM   #10
Michael Henry

Profile:

Quote:
This seems to be the attitude that CrossFit invented everything that it programs. Collegiate level athletes who rely on explosiveness probably do many things with high intensity. In that case, they've been doing 'CrossFit' for awhile.

Plus, higher level athletes aren't just more talented, they are more driven that you (the corporate you, not you specifically). I had a buddy that played D1 Lacrosse, one of the best athletes I've ever met. We would play 21 all the time, usually best of 5. I was a much better basketball player than he was, so I would usually win the 1st 2 games, take the next 2 games off, then win the 5th game. He'd play hard the entire series. To me, that is the difference between myself and a D1 athlete. It isn't the talent level, it is the drive.