CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-20-2010, 02:34 PM   #111
Moran Bentzur

Profile:
Re: Since You Guys Are Always Wondering About Sport Carry-Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell E. White View Post
Mainsite WOD's are not random. There is a long-term planning to the WOD's. The fact that no one seems to be able to "crack the code", or that no one involved in the planning and posting of the Main Page WOD's has seen fit to share the proprietary template with us is not de facto proof that they are random. I converse with these folks on a weekly basis; they find the ongoing "controversy" about the so-called randomness of the Main page to be laughable.
Sadly, it's these kind of comments that make other people regard CF as a cult. That sounds more like religion and less like "open source".

Quote:
I find it equally laughable that anyone can say that CFSB is not Crossfit and do so with a straight face. There is a layered strength program that is not varied at all, but the strength aspect of the program is the supplemental aspect. The WOD's in the CFSB template are, indeed, constantly varied. There is an emphasis on shorter, heavier, more intense met-cons with fewer longer met-cons to be sure, but this is itself in response to the well-established CF effect of acquiring fitness in longer time domains through the use of training at high intensity in shorter time domains. In short, Crossfit.

What makes me so sure? Well, I was one of the "Crash Test Dummies" in the CFSB trial, I co-authored the article, and I continue to be involved in the evolution of the program. Since this thread has collapsed on its own weight to the extent that even CFSB is controversial as a version of Crossfit I will take my leave.

--bingo
Whether CFSB is labeled "Crossfit" or not, is semantics. The fact is that it is significantly different from the crossfit prescription, and from mainsite WODs. I just can't understand what is the shame in saying that.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:19 PM   #112
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Mainsite WOD's are not random. There is a long-term planning to the WOD's.
And you know this because?
Old 03-20-2010, 04:24 PM   #113
Alex Europa

Profile:

Wayne, not that you care, but conversations with you on this forum are extremely frustrating at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Riddle View Post
And you know this because?
He stated it in his post that you snipped from (emphasis mine):

Quote:
Mainsite WOD's are not random. There is a long-term planning to the WOD's. The fact that no one seems to be able to "crack the code", or that no one involved in the planning and posting of the Main Page WOD's has seen fit to share the proprietary template with us is not de facto proof that they are random. I converse with these folks on a weekly basis; they find the ongoing "controversy" about the so-called randomness of the Main page to be laughable.
- Alex
Old 03-20-2010, 04:26 PM   #114
Brian Degenaro

Profile:

It seems pretty random to me, especially the qualifiers and all their events. If there were a method to the madness, I would hope HQ would divulge this information for those following mainsite as well as for those on the outside looking in, instead of just laughing at everyone for saying it is random. You don't need specifics to tell people the gist of the programming and how you structure it.

Do the people doing the planning just think they are so far superior to everyone because no one can figure out the puzzle? If that were so, show some humility and humble everyone else mocking mainsite for the randomness.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:51 PM   #115
Justin Shipley

Profile:

Arguing back and forth over whether mainsite programming is random is a little like arguing about whether mainsite WODs are HARD.... those who have been doing them longest are quietest, those who have been doing them the shortest amount of time are the most vocal yet the least likely to be excelling.

You see this divide in a lot of areas of life, CF and this board included.

As involvement goes on over time, the brash, vocal, questioning novice becomes a quieter, more focussed, less complaining or questioning participant.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:07 PM   #116
Lewis Dunn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Shipley View Post
As involvement goes on over time, the brash, vocal, questioning novice becomes a quieter, more focussed, less complaining or questioning participant.
Oh, the irony....
Old 03-20-2010, 05:42 PM   #117
Jonathan Yoon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moran Bentzur View Post
Sadly, it's these kind of comments that make other people regard CF as a cult. That sounds more like religion and less like "open source".
This brings up a good question. What makes CrossFit to consider itself to be open-source? Although the phrase is typical for software, basically it is supposed to be something that "describes practices in production and development that promote access to the end product's source materials".

If people are asking questions about how WOD's are chosen and the argument of "random vs varied" is still going on without any official display/documentation stating otherwise, what exactly makes CrossFit to consider itself open-source when information seems to be closed-source and proprietary?
Old 03-20-2010, 06:02 PM   #118
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Europa View Post
Wayne, not that you care, but conversations with you on this forum are extremely frustrating at times.
Yeah, asking for evidence or proof can be very frustrating. I'm not one to accept things at face value.

Quote:
He stated it in his post that you snipped from (emphasis mine):
I saw it and don't buy it. Saying there is a method and backing up such a statement are two different things. I'm sure Crossfit being "open source" would have no issues saying "here is how we come up with our main page programming and why, see if you can do better."
Old 03-20-2010, 06:04 PM   #119
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Shipley View Post
Funny, I've been taking the opposite path.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:19 PM   #120
Jonathan Yoon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Riddle View Post
Yeah, asking for evidence or proof can be very frustrating. I'm not one to accept things at face value.

I saw it and don't buy it. Saying there is a method and backing up such a statement are two different things. I'm sure Crossfit being "open source" would have no issues saying "here is how we come up with our main page programming and why, see if you can do better."
Likewise. Taking things on faith belongs to religion, not exercise. Although an honest "I don't know why this works, it just does" can carry some weight due to honesty in the face of a lack of facts and science to provide 100% unarguable proof.

And you're right. I've worked on some open-source software projects and everything was accessible and those that worked on the projects had shared all their information, indicated the defects within the code and process, and all because they knew that it would only lead to improvements.