CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-11-2010, 11:13 AM   #1
Anita Reyes

Profile:
Food Processor Recommandations?

Greetings!
My husband and I have been eating Paleo for several months (with a few holiday indiscretions!). As many of you have probably also realized, we know that being prepared is a huge key to maintaining the paleo lifestyle. With that in mind we are shopping for a food processor. At this point, the rule out model is a Cuisinart 7 cup food processor.

Does anybody have any recommendations/observations regarding food processors?

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2010, 11:15 AM   #2
Anita Reyes

Profile:
Re: Food Processor Recommandations?

recommendations!! apparently not such a good spelling day for me!
Old 01-11-2010, 11:23 AM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

I cook a lot, and have never bothered with one. Between setting it up and breaking it down to clean it, you don't actually save that much time.

What you might consider, though, is a mandoline, one of those angled vegetable slicers. Those are almost as fast as food processors, but much easier to deal with.

Katherine
Old 01-11-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
Matt Hitt

Profile:

I must disagree. A food processor is an amazing appliance, and gets the most use of any in my kitchen. Examples of things that my food pro can do in seconds that are awesome:

1. Make mayo that emulsifies perfectly every time
2. Chop cauliflower florets into perfect "rice" size
3. Make delicious, cheap, tasty homemade almond/walnut/whatever nut butter
4. Bring together a variety of disparate elements (say, cream cheese, garlic, herbs, spinach, spices, parmesan) in a coherent dip with pleasing uniformity of chunkiness that constitutes an awesome dip.
5. Chop garlic, ginger, peppers and spices into a paste that can be stored and thrown into stir-frys at a moments notice. Again with the uniform texture and smallness of pieces. Makes things work very nicely.
6. Buy whole cuts of meat, and create your own hamburger mix, so you know exactly what's in the meatloaf
7. Homemade sausage patties, again from whole cuts and fat that YOU pick out. 'Nuff said.

Overall, they are definitely worth the investment. I view my food processor like heston views his gun: from my cold, dead hands they shall pry it.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:45 PM   #5
Anita Reyes

Profile:

Thanks for the feedback!
Katherine - I have considered a mandoline but my husband makes mayo and all kinds of other yummy things (I win!) so we think that a food processor will be good for us.

Matt - What kind of food processor do you have? Pros/Cons of what you currently have? Anything different you'd look for if purchasing today?

thanks again!
Old 01-12-2010, 08:00 AM   #6
Matt Hitt

Profile:

Anita: I'll check the brand tonight when I'm back at my apt. I've had it for 4 years and never had a problem. Would highly recommend it, whatever it is.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:24 AM   #7
Moran Bentzur

Profile:

We have the Magimix 4200 XL and we are very happy with it. It has a large opening so that you can push whole veggies inside without dicing them. It has a very strong motor. it came with an egg beater and dough attachment. My wife is the baker in the house and she loves it.
I also own a simple stick blender, which I use for things like fruit shakes and mayo.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:36 AM   #8
Heather Armstrong

Profile:

My husband gave me this one for Christmas:

http://www.kitchenaid.com/flash.cmd?...uct/KFPM770NK/YOU MUST ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.

I was in tears I was so happy. This replaced the wholly inadequate 7 cup Cuisinart I'd had for many years. i use this almost daily. Need an onion minced? Takes about 2 seconds. 3 bowls and plenty of attachements so you only use what you need.

For the record, I have (and use) a professional quality mandoline as well. Different tools- some overlap on the jobs, but both are exceptionally useful and imho part of a well prepared kitchen (if you like to cook like I do).
Old 01-12-2010, 10:28 PM   #9
Matt Hitt

Profile:

Black and decker powerpro II is mine

Don't know really how it stacks up against the competition. I've had it for 4+ years and love it. Strong motor, gets an even uniform chop on things, easy to break down and clean.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:38 PM   #10
Jason Jameson

Profile:

I make 3lbs of almond butter in mine every week. On top of the other uses all mentioned above, ours sees extra duty almost daily in preparing baby food. We have the http://www.kitchenaid.com/flash.cmd?...uct/KPFP850OB/ (wfs) and have been more then pleased with it!

Happy Shopping!