CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-24-2014, 12:11 PM   #11
Troy Kennedy

Profile:
Re: Recovery Question

Hey bro, I am 49 and have been feeling the same. The biggest game changer for me has been post workout carbs. I added 50grams of maltodextrin (cytocarb 2) to 25 grams of protein in my postworkout shake and it made a big difference in my DOMS. Just feeling way better that night and the next day. Cut my soreness in half.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:44 PM   #12
Troy Kennedy

Profile:

For whatever it's worth, I did, and still do, nearly everything people have listed above before I tried adding the post workout carbs. Natural Calm (Magnesium). Plenty of D3. Sleep. High protein. Foam Roll/stretch. Clean diet. Fish Oil. Lots of water. Cool down. Work through the soreness etc... All great things. But I was still getting crazy sore, especially the 2nd day afterwards. To the point where I questioned my quality of life.

A friend at another box had the same issue, although he is quite a bit younger than me. His coach looked at his diet and told him he needed to up the post workout carbs. It did the trick for him and he now wods 5-6 times a week. (I just go 3-4) So, I tried it as well. And sure enough, I am feeling way better and putting on more muscle. Really grateful he passed that on to me because I was starting to think crossfit wasn't for me.

We are all different and it helps to experiment. This just happened to work for me. I keep my carbs in check the rest of the day so I'm not putting on fat.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:48 AM   #13
Carmen Malcolm

Profile:

Troy, thanks.

I've taken this week off just to rest a bit. I'm not feeling exhausted but just tired from time-to-time during a heavy workout - like I know I can lift heavier but just am not able to during that particular Met Con or weight training day.

I've also bought some BCAAs and L-Glutamine (Inner Armour) that I'll mix with water and take just before and during my WOD. I'm changing my post workout shake too - cutting out the milk and fruit and now drinking whey isolate with water instead of a vegan form of protein powder which didn't contain much protein in any event (subsequently discovered this). I'll be sure to add some carbs as you suggest post workout.

Not too worried about carbs or fat in my diet. I eat quite a bit of fat (nut butters, nuts, full cream dairy) and clean carbs (oats, sweet potato, brown rice etc) and have no problem managing weight - I'm fortunate to have a fast metabolism.

Also bought some high quality creatine but I've yet to take that.

Thanks again everyone.