CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-08-2013, 02:48 AM   #11
Chris Jones

Profile:
Re: Old guy, new CrossFitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Wojciehowski View Post
I also finally can string a couple double unders together, Man that was a frustrating journey. I'm still very inconsistant and my PR is 12 in a row in the middle of a WOD. I haven't quite figured out why sometimes I can string them together and other times they just won't happen.
this is my problem too, some days i can string 8 or 10 together but some days i cant even get a couple in a row without getting frustrated. Stick with it man, all we can do is keep trying!
Old 06-08-2013, 06:49 AM   #12
Michael Mantione

Profile:

Quote:
Didn't want to do one post and disappear. I do occasionally come back and read other's posts.

For both my wife and I accomplishments at present are being marked by added skills.

Personally I am now up to 6 unbanded pullups (non-kipping). I am still having a problem with my left shoulder handling a kipping motion but I'm slowly working on it.

I also finally can string a couple double unders together, Man that was a frustrating journey. I'm still very inconsistant and my PR is 12 in a row in the middle of a WOD. I haven't quite figured out why sometimes I can string them together and other times they just won't happen.

Still loving the journey.
Forget the full pull up, focus on the pieces, just do some dead hangs and get the shoulder movement down and start "rocking back and forth" go more and more until you hit that weightless feeling , thats when you would pull up
Old 06-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #13
Jim Wojciehowski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mantione View Post
Forget the full pull up, focus on the pieces, just do some dead hangs and get the shoulder movement down and start "rocking back and forth" go more and more until you hit that weightless feeling , thats when you would pull up
I appreciate the advice but the problem is that at a relaxed full hang my posterior left shoulder feels as if there is a tear in there. Any kipping motion at all and it's toast for days. It stated with attempts to get toes to bar and exaggerating the kip. Then after that even if I try to get a PVC pipe into the shoulder external rotation needed for overhead squats the same sensation occurs.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:39 PM   #14
Bob Van Horn

Profile:

I'll be 68 in July, started crossfit 7 weeks ago. Great coach and nice group of people.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:27 PM   #15
Jim Wojciehowski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
this is my problem too, some days i can string 8 or 10 together but some days i cant even get a couple in a row without getting frustrated. Stick with it man, all we can do is keep trying!
I hear ya'. I practice them before and after class as well as at home. Getting better but a long way from comfortable yet.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:32 AM   #16
John C Blattner

Profile:

Welcome, Jim. I'm 60 and have been CF'ing for about a year and a half. There are plenty of people my age and older in my box.

I agree with what has been said about the need for more rest and recovery time for us geezers. I WOD 4-5 times a week, sometimes more, but occasionally when I "listen to my body" what I hear is "NFW." Experience has taught me to heed that admonition.

When I started I had a hard time doing jumping pull-ups. I have worked my way through black band, green band, now using blue band. My goal is to do an unaided pull-up by my 61st birthday (early October).

Progress was slowed by knee replacement surgery last December. I sort of stalled out for more than 6 months, first by the final disintegration of my old knee, and then by rehab of the new one. But I kept at it as much as I could through the whole period and by now have pretty much been able to take up where I left off last summer when things went south.

The trainers and athletes at my box are incredibly supportive - I couldn't do it with them!
Old 06-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #17
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
I appreciate the advice but the problem is that at a relaxed full hang my posterior left shoulder feels as if there is a tear in there. Any kipping motion at all and it's toast for days. It stated with attempts to get toes to bar and exaggerating the kip. Then after that even if I try to get a PVC pipe into the shoulder external rotation needed for overhead squats the same sensation occurs.
No kipping!

You don't need it and I don't like the sounds of what you are describing.

Lay off it for a few weeks and then test it unloaded. If it is still bad it is x-ray/mri time. Remember if there is a tear you don't have to have surgery. You might decide to leave it alone and avoid the problem movements.

Good luck. Kipping and older shoulders just don't go together very well.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:02 PM   #18
Jim Wojciehowski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
No kipping!

You don't need it and I don't like the sounds of what you are describing.

Lay off it for a few weeks and then test it unloaded. If it is still bad it is x-ray/mri time. Remember if there is a tear you don't have to have surgery. You might decide to leave it alone and avoid the problem movements.

Good luck. Kipping and older shoulders just don't go together very well.
I appreciate the advice. We have very supportive trainers in our Crossfit Alaska Box. They know my problem with kipping and OHS so we substitute something for the OHS if it's in the workout and I don't kip.

I can do multiple straight muscle pullups now but without the kip they will be more exhausting and far slower. I just make sure I have a band available if the WOD had multiple PU's. That way I can go straight without the band until fatigue and switch to banded.

I'm in medicine so I have access to a backdoor MRI and may do so just for informational purposes next calander year. I've had a mumford, Slap repair, and Supraspinatus repari on the right should 4 years ago and the outcome is fantastic. I don't like the down time caused by going under the knife but if I must I will.

Until then I will do motions I can without causing aggravation.

Again, I appreciate the advice.

Last edited by Jim Wojciehowski; 06-26-2013 at 02:04 PM..
Old 07-13-2013, 11:35 PM   #19
Jim Wojciehowski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C Blattner View Post
"NFW."
What is NFW?
Old 07-16-2013, 07:03 AM   #20
Daniel Chakrin

Profile: