CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-17-2009, 02:10 PM   #1
Vern Remy

Profile:
Why should I do a Kipping over a regular chin up?

I'm really having problems getting a kipping chin up to feel right. I can knock off 20+ regular chinups, but i make a kipping look like a 12 yr old having sex. Awkward and wrong.

Can I stay doing what I'm doing and still receive the same benefits or is their something very advantageous to doing a kipping? There are no CF gyms where I live and I do know a few people who follow CF, but their schedules don't really match mine. Also tried Youtube, but unfortunately I can't bring the instructional video with me to the gym.

I'm guessing that kippings are more explosive and help develop the fast twitch muscles and regular chin ups add strength and a broader back, but then again I could be wrong.

Help or insight would be much appreciated.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:19 PM   #2
Jeremy Hohertz

Profile:
Re: Why should I do a Kipping over a regular chin up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern Remy View Post
I'm really having problems getting a kipping chin up to feel right. I can knock off 20+ regular chinups, but i make a kipping look like a 12 yr old having sex. Awkward and wrong.

Can I stay doing what I'm doing and still receive the same benefits or is their something very advantageous to doing a kipping? There are no CF gyms where I live and I do know a few people who follow CF, but their schedules don't really match mine. Also tried Youtube, but unfortunately I can't bring the instructional video with me to the gym.

I'm guessing that kippings are more explosive and help develop the fast twitch muscles and regular chin ups add strength and a broader back, but then again I could be wrong.

Help or insight would be much appreciated.
Go here: http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/land_fo.../acim/acim.swf (WFS) and select "Combat Fitness Program" -> "Exercises" -> "Kipping Pull Up". Best explanation, directly from Coach himself. Click on the Printer icon for a printout you can take with you.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:32 PM   #3
Christopher Cristini

Profile:

Hi
Copy and past on the link below and than click on the Kipping pull-up concepts. There isn't gym close to me as well so I know learning on your own is frustrating. Also when I started learning them, people at my gym though I was loosing it haha. Kipping allows you to use your hole body as well as you increase your work capacity. Increasing your work capacity increases your POWER output, at the end of the day thats what we are trying to achieve being more Powerful and increasing work capacity. Stick with it and watch the DEMOS
I hope this helps

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html#Exer
Old 02-17-2009, 02:33 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Get a vid up. Easier to make cues on a vid.

And yes, it's helpful to have them. Definitely a different metabolic workout with kipping pullups than with deadhangs.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:45 PM   #5
Kevin Thomas

Profile:

Vern, Do you mean kipping chinups (palms facing you) or kipping pullups (palms facing away), or both? Personally, I kip for pullups no problem - it took a while but one day it clicked - but kipping on a chinup just feels wierd and I see no reason to spend effort learning. I get the metcon effects of kipping with pullups. Chinups for me are always deadhang, and usually weighted.

-Kevin
Old 02-17-2009, 02:50 PM   #6
Vern Remy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
Vern, Do you mean kipping chinups (palms facing you) or kipping pullups (palms facing away), or both? Personally, I kip for pullups no problem - it took a while but one day it clicked - but kipping on a chinup just feels wierd and I see no reason to spend effort learning. I get the metcon effects of kipping with pullups. Chinups for me are always deadhang, and usually weighted.

-Kevin

Palms facing. And like you if I want a change I add weight. Now I gotta check out these links and make a decision.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:52 PM   #7
Ed Walto

Profile:

Deadhangs serve their purpose, but on a day where the WOD calls for 120 pullups, you'll be there all day without kipping. Just a thought.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:54 PM   #8
Kevin Thomas

Profile:

Maybe just try kipping with palms facing away. I think it's easier to kip that way, maybe it will click for you.

Good luck,
Kevin
Old 02-17-2009, 02:59 PM   #9
Vern Remy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Walto View Post
Deadhangs serve their purpose, but on a day where the WOD calls for 120 pullups, you'll be there all day without kipping. Just a thought.
I know. 100 chinups from the deadhang is roughly 10 minutes. I can'tmy times really improving if I don't do a alternate form. I'll try the palms away tomorrow and I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:41 PM   #10
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

I agree that chin-ups are best for dead hang, and also are useful weighted on occasion. It is safer for the shoulders to kip with pullups(palms facing away).