CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-06-2006, 03:43 PM   #1
Mark Konen

Profile:
I just finished visiting Steve and Denise at CrossFit HB Marina this morning and will start off with a Monday morning training. Looks like fun! I live in Costa Mesa, CA and if there are any of my neighbors doing CF, I would love to hear from you.

My main sport is inline speedskating and used to race and may pick that up again soon.

I have most recently trained with Ori Hofmekler, author of "The Warrior Diet", in his Controlled Fatigue Training. I am currently on the WD and have been for 11 weeks. This is a natural way for me to eat and it works well for me as I have dropped 22 lbs so far the "old fashioned way", steady and safely.

I look forward to training in the CF system and anxious to find out if it helps increase my speed and endurance in skating and also with my fat loss goals on my way to 10% BF and <175#.

Say "Hi" if you read this! Comments are always welcome.

Mark
Old 05-06-2006, 04:44 PM   #2
Paul Findley

Profile:
Hi!

Lots of explosive hip opening in your near future...it seems like that would help in speed skating a great deal.

Welcome!
Old 05-06-2006, 05:16 PM   #3
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Mark:

Welcome! I play ice hockey for fun but can't pretend to be a great skater. But after 6 months off the ice due to major hip surgery I found that I am in pretty much the same or better condition (anaerobically) as my teammates. I'm also making very accelerated progress on regaining leg strength. To give you a sense, a month ago I could deadlift maybe 75lbs, then two weeks ago it was 135lbs and two days ago 180lbs. I think the CF exercises are very well suited to hockey: the Olympic lifts are really perfect for hockey where the upper body is important too. But we're always doing squats and burpees and everything else involving the legs. And the intensity is so much more than just going to the gym and doing leg presses.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:36 PM   #4
Michael Usiak

Profile:  
Mark :
I am a strength coach and totally agree with Elliot. The CF program will do wonders for your in-line skating. The programs are so well balanced. The progressions can be modified and arranged to fit your personal needs.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:43 PM   #5
Mark Konen

Profile:
Thanks, Paul. I am counting on some hip strength and flexibility. The problems with doing a repetitiva activity, is you get over-developed with one muscle group and under-developed in the opposing group. CF should give me some balance along with the strength and stamina.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:48 PM   #6
Mark Konen

Profile:
Michael & Paul,

There was a time where if I knew about CF, my entire emphasis would have been on inline race training.

Now, the skating is more secondary, but I do want to test myself in age group competition.

As I approach 51 years, the lower weight & BF is the driving force. (not to mention all the great comments I get from my girlfriend)!

I also like training for the sake of the training.

(Message edited by markfu on May 06, 2006)

(Message edited by markfu on May 06, 2006)
Old 05-06-2006, 05:57 PM   #7
Mark Konen

Profile:
Elliot,

I'm with you Elliot. I am not a great skater either, but like you, I have a hockey player's mindset!

I got away from machines in the gym a while ago and switched to workouts that were functional and sport-specific plyometrics we call "Downtimes".

Continued success with the recovery from the surgery.

MK
Old 05-07-2006, 05:48 AM   #8
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Mark, you have found a home here! One word of advise..ramp up intensity slowly. I came from a strength training, gymnastics, and martial arts background and it took me 6 months to be able to do the WOD as written, a year until I felt I could push hard in a string of WODs. Chase performance and the body composition changes will occur, chase bodyfat loss and one slip could lead to failure. Glad to have you aboard.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:02 AM   #9
Mark Konen

Profile:
Larry, thanks for the advice and welcome. Would you elaborate on

"Chase performance and the body composition changes will occur, chase bodyfat loss and one slip could lead to failure".

What would an example of one slip leading to failure?

(Message edited by markfu on May 07, 2006)
Old 05-07-2006, 10:07 AM   #10
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
If you are focusing on bodyfat loss and cheat, often times you just say "screw it" and throw nutrition out the window. If your focus is performance your mindset is different concerning nutrition and training. DOn't gear your workouts or nutrition just to losing bodyfat, but to increasing performance and refueling after exercise...believe me the body composition changes will come.