CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-06-2006, 01:52 PM   #31
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Jesse:

I can understand your point and agree with it if you agree that there is no one standard of what is healthy nor one path to achieving it. I don't know that being a lean Crossfitter is more likely to ensure that you survive longer than a hockey player. Given how new CF is, I can't see there being any studies that show this that are credible. There may be mechanisms we don't understand which make some CF behaviors less than optimal from a "surviving the longest" health perspective.

The state of our medical science is so primitive that establishing the most basic causes and effects is difficult, hence the incredible diversity of views on all medical issues (just look at this board alone).

I recall recent studies that showed that all of the benefits of exercise were achieved by moderate daily exercise -- far less than a regular CF person would do. Then there was a study that more intense exercise was required to achieve the health benefits.

Some of the longest living people, namely the French, are not known for their intense exercise.

I don't think anyone is entitled to play the "health card" in this discussion unless we are talking about extremes. Keep in mind that the discussion was on whether adding 10lbs of lean muscle mass was a justifiable objective. I remain unconvinced that you can say no based on health reasons.

Old 07-07-2006, 02:28 PM   #32
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Sorry I didn't reply earlier. The more I study all aspects of this approach, the more I begin to believe that we're getting closer and closer to that ideal. If the evolution of our genetic material is based on a certain diet, a certain relative body-type and a certain level of activity, then it is only logical that moving too far outside of that zone would force us into the realm of "unfit". Whether or not this is instantly apparent isn't so much the point. You're right on that level. There is so little that we can actually "know", especially from the standpoint of scientific studies, but there comes a point where you can begin to understand where the extremes DO lie, and from there you can put together a pretty good idea of what the middle ground is.

Now, on that note, you're right, adding 10lb of lean mass isn't a huge departure from this middle ground. The problem lies more in the mindset with which you strive to attain this goal. Is it my place to question anybody's motivation? Not at all, but I think it's an important aspect of the whole issue that is so rarely raised on most "fitness" sites in regards to the goals we might set for ourselves and the lengths we are willing to go to reach them.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:22 AM   #33
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
I didn't read everything posted, but here's exactly what I do:

1) find maintenance calories using fitday
2) to gain weight, increase calories by 10-15% until I am gaining 1 pound per week
3) to lose weight, decrease calories by 10-15% until I am losing 1 pound per week

And this is how I decide on what to eat:
1) eat a minimum of 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight
2) eat a minimum of 0.5 gram of fat per pound of body weight
3) every meal has meat (beef, chicken, pork, or fish) or protein powder
4) every meal has veggies (spinach, carrots, broccoli) or fruit (apple, orange, banana)
5) every meal has nuts (cashews, walnuts, almonds, peanuts)
6) main meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) have a complex carb (brown rice, pasta, potato)

It's not perfect, but it works.