CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-24-2006, 08:40 PM   #1
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Has anyone gained significant lean body mass (5-10+ pounds) while following Zone protocol? Specifically by dialing in your blocks and getting to 5% bodyfat and then increasing the fat blocks. I have read many threads saying things like baseling zone will not provide the protein carbs etc. for lean mass gain. I have been following the zone ratios and loosely following paleo food choices but tinkering with the number of blocks I eat with the hopes of adding weight.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:07 AM   #2
Chris Forbis

Profile:
I'm up 12 pounds from my low point. It appears to almost entirely lean. I gave up before reaching 5%... once I hit the high single digits I jacked up my block number and fat multiplier. Now at just over 23 @ 3x fat.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:34 AM   #3
Daniel Miller

Profile:
I'm up around 8-10 lbs from begining X-fit and zone. My % bf is way down as well.
I'm also at 2x or 3x fat.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:48 PM   #4
Chris Goodrich

Profile:
Eating 18 blocks I bottomed out at 165# with ~6%BF and could not gain weight even at 5xfat. I bumped up to 23 blocks with 3Xfat and am at 176 and gaining, still ~6%BF.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:04 PM   #5
Hone Watson

Profile:
Thats real interesting Chris.

This could be the key for a good number of people looking to gain.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:48 PM   #6
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Chris, what does your weekly exercise look like? How many total hours? I feel that a good number of people could definitely do with a higher multiplier for activity...just a hunch.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:03 PM   #7
Robert Wolf

Profile:
The high fat block multiplier is perfect for maintainance but if you wan tot gain you will need to ratchet up the block count significantly. One can step these up say 2 blocks per week over a period of time keeping an eye on leanness. If you start smoothing out too much just ratchet back the fat blocks a bit but keep adding total blocks.

Use the flow chart from Mastering the Zone to manage carbohydrate levels and optimize that side of things. Once you have hit a desired weight you can likely dial back the total blocks until that matches your maintaince level and then add more fat.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:57 PM   #8
Chris Goodrich

Profile:
Jesse, Not sure if that was directed at me or Chris Forbis, but my weekly schedule is all over the place (military). I'm pretty religous about doing the WOD as written, and usually do some running, rucking, and swimming at work, and do BJJ and supplemental workouts when I have time and feel up to it. Usually work is not sedentary.
23 blocks is based on a 1.0 activity factor, although I haven't adjusted it up for my increased lean mass yet. I think a lot of it comes down to individual metabolic/body type. I'm definitely a hardgainer. I have no problems shedding fat but putting on weight is difficult.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:44 PM   #9
Jesse Woody

Profile:
I think that this is where the Zone works best, from a viewpoint of a basic understanding, from which you can tweak the numbers along with your total activity level a bit to accomplish the desired effect. It gives you a great foundation to start from, and from there you work through experience and various sources to find the method of implementing the plan for what works best for you.