CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 01-16-2013, 05:57 AM   #1
David Hanson

Profile:
Who is inflammed? What is inflammation? A Mobility and Nutrition question.

The following is one part mobility, one part nutrition. Both fall under recovery so I figured this would post best here. If thought otherwise please let me know.

In the midst of a definition conundrum here. Iíve been following Crossfit for four years now and am now trying to turn up my involvement and understanding of not just exercises but also other core disciplines in regards to fitness and nutrition. Part of my increased involvement/discipline was subscribing to Dr. Kelly Starretís mobilitywod.com in the last three weeks. If you havenít yet visited the site the information provided is one of the most distributive wealth of mobility techniques Iíve seen, in my experience. In the past week Iíve been practicing the Zone Diet and Iím beginning to plan out weeks ahead.

One of Dr. Starretís eye opening videos is him having an open conversation with Gary Reinl. In the video Dr. Starret and Mr. Reinl discuss why it is bad to ice after injury and why inflammation is a good thing. Yes: Ice bad, inflammation good. A few weeks ago I had to pull my car over and pay strict attention with the video on (Automotive safety was followed people. I had the video and audio separate and was solely listening, not watching). In summary the argument was icing/cold/anti-inflammatories used to counteract the bodies natural inflammation process was a rebellious attempt against body science developing since man was man; why would you take thousands of years of evolution and tell the body your natural reaction is wrong? They further their argument through citing case studies and peer reviewed academic research. Watch the video if youíve got the time. SFW http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/08/p...ooo-wrong.html SFW

So seeing this is a compelling argument, to me, about why inflammation is good. Cue Dr. Sears of the renowned Zone Diet. Watching his Crossfit Presentation through the Journal he cites why inflammation is bad. Inflammation is bad for the heart, the body. Zone Diet, with its high dose side kick fish oil, fight the evils of inflammation. I keep this paragraph short as my own familiarity with Zone is yet in its infancy and the concepts are likely more known than mobilitwod's.

So why donít the two voices of principle in the mobility and nutrition have an agreed definition of what is inflammation? If there are parallels between the two, what are they? From a muscle-damage standpoint the identification is simple: Swelling. My confusion is what Dr. Searsí definition of inflammation is. Maybe I'm missing the mark entirely. Iím seeking to better understand the inflammation Zone is targeting, aside from body homeostasis. What symptoms are presented by inflammation in Dr. Searsí view, how would I know what inflammation is if I saw it? Thanks!
Old 01-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
Glenn Pasewicz

Profile:
Re: Who is inflammed? What is inflammation? A Mobility and Nutrition question.

That's a good question, because I, too, have wondered about inflammation. I haven't yet watched the video, read about it, etc. These are just my own off the cuff remarks.

Could it be that short term inflammation is helpful to the healing process but long term inflammation is debilitating in the long term? For example, over the long run, a bad diet, inactivity, etc. lead to inflammation of the heart, and long term inflammation of the heart leads to death. Because if you think about it, what was Grok's life expectancy? Inflammation may have been the price to pay for short term mobility because long term survival wasn't likely. What difference would it make if mouth bacteria migrated to my heart and would have killed me by age 60 if a saber toothed cat got me at age 25?

From what's been posted to the forums, it seems like you're supposed to assume inflammation is present if you don't follow some prescribed diet. E.g., if you eat wheat/gluten/omega-6/etc. you have inflammation. "Gut inflammation" is the one I'm thinking about mostly. Well, how do I know? Is it as bad as all that? If I'm not a competitive athlete, does it matter?
Old 01-16-2013, 11:51 AM   #3
Brian Strump

Profile:

There are many other opinions on that video, and the purposes behind it. There are few posts on the boards, and I've been on other conversations with other top fitness professionals(trainers, coaches, MD, DO, DC, PT, etc) and there are many many on the opposite side of the fence.

Inflammation is the bodies response to some stimulus. Take injury for example. The reason many that take NSAID's like they are skittles and always get re-injured should shed some light. For many many years, it's been known that part of the inflammatory response brings cells to the area to help heal and lay down new connective tissue for repair. Other cells remove toxins and other materials to be discarded by the body. Without some level of inflammation you cannot hear properly.

Due to the crappy American diets, that increases inflammation dramatically.

I cannot speak about inflammation of heart valves, and the differences in different arthritic conditions(Rheumatoid, etc) and those inflammatory processes.

There is also differences between how the body reacts to acute vs. chronic inflammation.

What I do know, is that inflammation is an important part of the healing process. While keeping it under control is one thing, to totally disregard it, is IMO, inadvisable.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
David Hanson

Profile:

So, like most things, inflammation is a good thing in moderation. I guess what hung me up was the visual. It's easy to see a twisted ankle as opposed to the slow death of homeostasis in the body. Thanks for the input!
Old 01-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
John C Blattner

Profile:

I'm always wary of the argument that because something is part of the human condition that was tolerated for millions of years, subsequent efforts to correct or ameliorate it are somehow wrong-headed. Yes, inflammation has always been a by-product of injury, etc. So has pain. Is it therefore "unnatural" or "wrong" to lessen their impact via medication, therapy, etc.? For millions of years mankind didn't know how to set broken bones. Are we wrong to set them now?

I'm a big fan of K-Starr and think he is incredibly knowedgeable and helpful in his areas of expertise. I'm just not sure this is one of those areas. I'd be awfully reluctant to tell someone who just sprained an ankle to avoid RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) just because Cro-Magnon Man didn't know about it.

Now, if there is evidence that icing a sprained ankle is harmful or counter-productive in some way, let's hear it. Maybe such evidence exists, I don't claim to know one way or another. I just know it's not enough to reach such a conclusionv simply by calling it "a rebellious attempt against body science developing since man was man; why would you take thousands of years of evolution and tell the body your natural reaction is wrong?"

Last edited by John C Blattner; 01-17-2013 at 10:48 AM..
Old 01-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #6
WJM

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hanson View Post
So, like most things, inflammation is a good thing in moderation. I guess what hung me up was the visual. It's easy to see a twisted ankle as opposed to the slow death of homeostasis in the body. Thanks for the input!

I work in the clinical research field at a teaching hospital and attended a grand rounds about this very topic today! I will do my best to explain the main gyst of the presentation I attended. The lecturer, an MD who has published extensively stated that the the inflammatory response that is partially responsible for the metabolic syndrome also has a utilitarian value in regard to fighting off infection and disease. However, we live so much longer today than we did in years past and over time this inflammation has a negative effect.

Basically, the rise in metabolic syndrome has in part occurred because we live longer and are less likely to die from tb, the plague and other infectious diseases that were more prevalent prior to the development of antibiotics, clean water ect. However, know that we live longer (he said to visit a graveyard from the middle ages for proof lol), that same inflammatory response that is helpful earlier in life, has the potential to cause symptoms of the metabolic syndrome. I thought this lecture was really interesting and I just wanted to share..
Old 01-18-2013, 08:02 AM   #7
Brian Strump

Profile:

Interesting for sure, but inflammation from injury and its response(and trying to stop any from occurring) is different than saying inflammation is bad because it causes metabolic syndrome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by William J Mallon View Post
I work in the clinical research field at a teaching hospital and attended a grand rounds about this very topic today! I will do my best to explain the main gyst of the presentation I attended. The lecturer, an MD who has published extensively stated that the the inflammatory response that is partially responsible for the metabolic syndrome also has a utilitarian value in regard to fighting off infection and disease. However, we live so much longer today than we did in years past and over time this inflammation has a negative effect.

Basically, the rise in metabolic syndrome has in part occurred because we live longer and are less likely to die from tb, the plague and other infectious diseases that were more prevalent prior to the development of antibiotics, clean water ect. However, know that we live longer (he said to visit a graveyard from the middle ages for proof lol), that same inflammatory response that is helpful earlier in life, has the potential to cause symptoms of the metabolic syndrome. I thought this lecture was really interesting and I just wanted to share..
Old 01-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #8
David Hanson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
Interesting for sure, but inflammation from injury and its response(and trying to stop any from occurring) is different than saying inflammation is bad because it causes metabolic syndrome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by William J Mallon View Post
Basically, the rise in metabolic syndrome
Loving the discussion. Learning plenty.

Please explain Metabolic Syndrome from your standpoints. You guys are awesome. I'm sure Google is my friend, but friends are in the community.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #9
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Inflammation is good like air bags in your car are good. That doesn't mean you want to set it off.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:10 AM   #10
Brian Strump

Profile:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0004546/
WFS

You know the medical community. Everything needs a name, and a drug to go with it.