CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #1
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:
strict pull ups before kipping? video included

http://fitnesspainfree.com/strict-pu...-and-dan-pope/ (nwfs some language).

Thoughts?
Old 12-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #2
Tighe Crovetti

Profile:
Re: strict pull ups before kipping? video included

This strikes me as one of the arguments to which there just simply isn't a singular, one-size-fits-all answer. For me, I internally resolve it by ceasing to conside one the foundation, and/or one the evolution of the other. It's like a power snatch vs. an overhead squat. Yes, they have things very much in common, and you can very easily view one as a 'foundational exercise' for the other. You can implement both in your repertoire, even if you have disparate degrees of ability/command of each, relative to the other. As long as you strive for good form and safe form within your skill level, you can continue to improve each one.

I feel like the only real point of debate is, if you just swing the s**t out of your (poor form) kips, before you have a requisite degree of shoulder mobility and strength. Either you have a good coach who will monitor that, or you don't. If you do, they should guide you toward building an efficient kip, regulate the degree to which your shoulders get mobilized, etc.., all within the same framework as your strict pullup gets built and the rest of your overall progress in Crossfit.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
Jeff Enge

Profile:

I think it's more a question of stress during fatigue than anything else. A strict pullup isn't neccessisarily required to do one kipping pullup or even a few in skill work, but what being able to knock out strict pullups at will shows is a level of shoulder/back/arm strength that's necessary to maintain the proper amount of stability in a high-rep situation, i.e. a CrossFit metcon.

So, I guess my point is, the debate is a little pointless unless the question is narrowed down a bit.

No, doing one or a few kipping pullups isn't inherently dangerous. But doing a bunch in fatigue in the midddle of Murph if your shoulders are shot and you physically aren't strong enough to do strict pullups even when fresh? I'd say that's a yes.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
David Finney

Profile:

I watched that video and wasn't impressed. I would have liked to see an anti-Crossfit fitness/exercise guru on the panel. They all have a Crossfit bias, so it doesn't seem like there much room for debate.

I personally think everyone should have a few strict pullups in the tank before they start trying kipping pullups in a WOD. If you want to keep the intensity high, you can always get a band. The Kip has its place, but I think there's definitely some merit to the strict pullup.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #5
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
I think it's more a question of stress during fatigue than anything else. A strict pullup isn't neccessisarily required to do one kipping pullup or even a few in skill work, but what being able to knock out strict pullups at will shows is a level of shoulder/back/arm strength that's necessary to maintain the proper amount of stability in a high-rep situation, i.e. a CrossFit metcon.

So, I guess my point is, the debate is a little pointless unless the question is narrowed down a bit.

No, doing one or a few kipping pullups isn't inherently dangerous. But doing a bunch in fatigue in the midddle of Murph if your shoulders are shot and you physically aren't strong enough to do strict pullups even when fresh? I'd say that's a yes.
Well said and exactly how I feel. It is not that you ''need'' strict to kip, but the inherent strength will help in shoulder stabilization and control in the bottom of the swing.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:14 AM   #6
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

I like what Dave said you teach the bottom part of the swing and the strict pull up side by side.

We need to stop talking about whether something is inherently dangerous and start to think about volume protocol...overuse injuries are typically the problem, sure it is individual based, but that's where the real headway can be made theoretically.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:43 PM   #7
Michelle Stafford

Profile:

I wrote a article on this topic matter, this is my humble opinion:

http://myjourneyrx.com/2014/02/26/st...s-in-training/ WFS
Old 02-25-2014, 08:54 PM   #8
Michelle Stafford

Profile:
Hey Community!!! Just a little inspiration and motivation sent your way!!!

Hello Everyone,

A little background on myself, I'm a CrossFit Coach for Indian River CrossFit and just recently decided to share my Journey as a CrossFit Coach and Athlete via a Blog, with hopes to help others along their own CrossFit Journey!!

My Blog is called My Journey RX, enjoy. I encourage feedback and for you all to share some of your experiences or maybe inquire about topics you may want to discuss!!!

http://myjourneyrx.com/ WFS

Take care,

Michelle
Old 02-26-2014, 06:49 AM   #9
Martin Rivera

Profile:
Re: Hey Community!!! Just a little inspiration and motivation sent your way!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Stafford View Post
Hello Everyone,

A little background on myself, I'm a CrossFit Coach for Indian River CrossFit and just recently decided to share my Journey as a CrossFit Coach and Athlete via a Blog, with hopes to help others along their own CrossFit Journey!!

My Blog is called My Journey RX, enjoy. I encourage feedback and for you all to share some of your experiences or maybe inquire about topics you may want to discuss!!!

http://myjourneyrx.com/ WFS

Take care,

Michelle
Good stuff Michelle, keep doing it.
+1
<>< Philippians 4:13 • thecubefitness.com (WFS) • dsgear.com (WFS) • virusintl.com (WFS) •
Old 02-26-2014, 01:50 PM   #10
Camille Lore

Profile:  
Re: Hey Community!!! Just a little inspiration and motivation sent your way!!!

This may be cool, but Michele, please don't pop on here, post a link to your blog and then pop off.

The message board is for discussion, not driving hits to your blog.