CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
Leyla Rose
Member Leyla Rose is offline
 
Leyla Rose's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mulgrave  NSW
Posts: 5
Post Workout shake- necessary?

I have recently started experimenting with my diet to see what foods/supplements assist me with my CrossFitting (I'm a few months in at my partners box- bit the bullet and joined up- loving it!)
As some-one who has been afraid of carbs most of my life, and is wheat/gluten intolerant, I've slowly introduced dates/honey/some fruit into my diet (pre-workout/breakfast) and had very positive results.

My main dilemma now is that I was using a protein shake called 100% Gold Standard Whey, which I discontinued use of several weeks ago due to the amount of artificial additives inherent which I was not overly impressed with.
I have, however, noticed a significant decrease in recovery time, and increase in muscle soreness since doing so.

Can anyone testify to the effectiveness of the so-called 'Paleo proteins' on the market?
I read an interesting article by Robb Wolf re: getting our required amino acids/protein from meat, and not powdered substances, however I do not always have a stash of meat ready after a WOD (should I perhaps?)

Any suggestions, ideas etc would be appreciated

Cheers
__________________
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good.”
― Dr. Seuss

Last edited by Leyla Rose; 12-20-2012 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: spelling error!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery
Member Eric Montgomery is offline
 
Eric Montgomery's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 7,413
Re: Post Workout shake- necessary?

Robb has also written/talked quite a bit about the usefulness of protein shakes for getting good stuff into your muscles/tissues quickly after a workout, when you might not necessarily feel like eating solid food. Yes, real food should still make up a large majority of your calories, but getting some whey (or whey/casein) plus some quick carbs into your system after a workout is generally considered to be a good thing.

If your body doesn't tolerate whey or casein you could always look into egg white protein, but it's pretty pricey. Or just switch to a whey isolate or higher quality protein that's less likely to have impurities in it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:55 AM   #3
Ben Norris
Member Ben Norris is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sunshine Coast  QLD Australia
Posts: 727
Re: Post Workout shake- necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyla Rose View Post
I have recently started experimenting with my diet to see what foods/supplements assist me with my CrossFitting (I'm a few months in at my partners box- bit the bullet and joined up- loving it!)
As some-one who has been afraid of carbs most of my life, and is wheat/gluten intolerant, I've slowly introduced dates/honey/some fruit into my diet (pre-workout/breakfast) and had very positive results.

My main dilemma now is that I was using a protein shake called 100% Gold Standard Whey, which I discontinued use of several weeks ago due to the amount of artificial additives inherent which I was not overly impressed with.
I have, however, noticed a significant decrease in recovery time, and increase in muscle soreness since doing so.

Can anyone testify to the effectiveness of the so-called 'Paleo proteins' on the market?
I read an interesting article by Robb Wolf re: getting our required amino acids/protein from meat, and not powdered substances, however I do not always have a stash of meat ready after a WOD (should I perhaps?)

Any suggestions, ideas etc would be appreciated

Cheers
First welcome to the forum.

Second being an aussie I would strongly recommend you go onto proteindirect.com.au or bulknutrients.com.au (both wfs) for pure and cheap protein
__________________
My Log 19, 5'9, 160lbs, Deadlift 345, Back Squat 285, Front Squat 220, Bench Press 185, Strict Press 115x3, Squat Clean 175x2, Squat Snatch 135
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
Jess Ablang
Member Jess Ablang is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Fairfield  CA
Posts: 27
Re: Post Workout shake- necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyla Rose View Post
Any suggestions, ideas etc would be appreciated

Cheers
Have you given a thought to dessicated liver?

Aside from my latest purchase of protein, I normally only supplement with liver tabs throughout the day. It's an old bodybuilding/powerlifting staple. There isn't a horrible taste to it unless you allow the tablets to sit in your mouth (and, for your sake, don't chew them). I dose 4 tabs, 4 times every day - upon waking, between meals, and at bedtime.

Here's a little link (WFS) for the brand I use.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/univ/liver.html
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:39 PM   #5
Joe Gomez
Member Joe Gomez is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ventura  CA
Posts: 50
Re: Post Workout shake- necessary?

I started taking 2 scoops of Nitrean + after Crossfit (I go at 6am) and feel way better. Before this, I would not eat until 11-12 because I was not hungry and felt like crap. Works for me, try it out.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:29 PM   #6
Chris Mason
Banned Chris Mason is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Charlottesville  VA
Posts: 4,708
Re: Post Workout shake- necessary?

Necessary? No. Convenient? YES!

If you don't drink a shake be sure to have something to eat. It's that simple.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:29 PM   #7
Chris Mason
Banned Chris Mason is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Charlottesville  VA
Posts: 4,708
Re: Post Workout shake- necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Gomez View Post
I started taking 2 scoops of Nitrean + after Crossfit (I go at 6am) and feel way better. Before this, I would not eat until 11-12 because I was not hungry and felt like crap. Works for me, try it out.
Thank you!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #8
Leyla Rose
Member Leyla Rose is offline
 
Leyla Rose's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mulgrave  NSW
Posts: 5
Re: Post Workout shake- necessary?

Thanks guys, you've all been really helpfull!
I'm in the midst of researching the liver tabs, Nitrean, and the egg white protein suggested- I'll let you know how I go and hopefully some other CrossFitters with fussy tummies will benefit from my experiments.

Cheers for the tip Ben!

__________________
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good.”
― Dr. Seuss
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:54 AM   #9
Crissilia Suta
Member Crissilia Suta is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bali  KAB. Badung
Posts: 13
Re: Post Workout shake- necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Necessary? No. Convenient? YES!

If you don't drink a shake be sure to have something to eat. It's that simple.
Totally agree. Don't over complicate it, whole and natural food sources are always the best option but not always the easiest. After a workout the first thing that pops to mind for me is - must feed muscles! Treat them preciously give them the nutrients they need to recover. If your workout is before breakfast, lunch or dinner I suggest to have a proper meal with real protein and veggies after. But any time in between, I find protein shakes to be much more convenient.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #10
Joe Bernard
Member Joe Bernard is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Philadelphia  PA
Posts: 2,626
Re: Post Workout shake- necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyla Rose View Post
Thanks guys, you've all been really helpfull!
I'm in the midst of researching the liver tabs, Nitrean, and the egg white protein suggested- I'll let you know how I go and hopefully some other CrossFitters with fussy tummies will benefit from my experiments.

Cheers for the tip Ben!

If you are looking for a protein powder that will not upset a sensitive stomach then I highly recommend Nitrean+ or Opticen+ (if trying to gain). I have a very sensitive stomach and can handle both of them mixed with water with no problems. They taste very good too.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
post workout Shake Christopher Ponzica Workout Logs 0 09-10-2011 02:24 PM
Post workout shake Daniel Tysinger Nutrition 33 07-15-2010 08:42 PM
Post workout shake w/ no blender? David Luu Nutrition 12 06-22-2010 09:19 AM
Post Workout Paleo Shake?! Sami Al Rais Nutrition 18 08-19-2009 03:32 AM
No post workout shake??? Dion Harvey Nutrition 7 04-02-2007 05:00 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:54 AM.


CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.