CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-20-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
Leyla Rose

Profile:
Post Workout shake- necessary?

I have recently started experimenting with my diet to see what foods/supplements assist me with my CrossFitting (I'm a few months in at my partners box- bit the bullet and joined up- loving it!)
As some-one who has been afraid of carbs most of my life, and is wheat/gluten intolerant, I've slowly introduced dates/honey/some fruit into my diet (pre-workout/breakfast) and had very positive results.

My main dilemma now is that I was using a protein shake called 100% Gold Standard Whey, which I discontinued use of several weeks ago due to the amount of artificial additives inherent which I was not overly impressed with.
I have, however, noticed a significant decrease in recovery time, and increase in muscle soreness since doing so.

Can anyone testify to the effectiveness of the so-called 'Paleo proteins' on the market?
I read an interesting article by Robb Wolf re: getting our required amino acids/protein from meat, and not powdered substances, however I do not always have a stash of meat ready after a WOD (should I perhaps?)

Any suggestions, ideas etc would be appreciated

Cheers

Last edited by Leyla Rose; 12-20-2012 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: spelling error!
Old 12-20-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Post Workout shake- necessary?

Robb has also written/talked quite a bit about the usefulness of protein shakes for getting good stuff into your muscles/tissues quickly after a workout, when you might not necessarily feel like eating solid food. Yes, real food should still make up a large majority of your calories, but getting some whey (or whey/casein) plus some quick carbs into your system after a workout is generally considered to be a good thing.

If your body doesn't tolerate whey or casein you could always look into egg white protein, but it's pretty pricey. Or just switch to a whey isolate or higher quality protein that's less likely to have impurities in it.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:55 AM   #3
Ben Norris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyla Rose View Post
I have recently started experimenting with my diet to see what foods/supplements assist me with my CrossFitting (I'm a few months in at my partners box- bit the bullet and joined up- loving it!)
As some-one who has been afraid of carbs most of my life, and is wheat/gluten intolerant, I've slowly introduced dates/honey/some fruit into my diet (pre-workout/breakfast) and had very positive results.

My main dilemma now is that I was using a protein shake called 100% Gold Standard Whey, which I discontinued use of several weeks ago due to the amount of artificial additives inherent which I was not overly impressed with.
I have, however, noticed a significant decrease in recovery time, and increase in muscle soreness since doing so.

Can anyone testify to the effectiveness of the so-called 'Paleo proteins' on the market?
I read an interesting article by Robb Wolf re: getting our required amino acids/protein from meat, and not powdered substances, however I do not always have a stash of meat ready after a WOD (should I perhaps?)

Cheers
First welcome to the forum.

Second being an aussie I would strongly recommend you go onto proteindirect.com.au or bulknutrients.com.au (both wfs) for pure and cheap protein
Old 12-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
Jess Ablang

Profile:

Quote:

Cheers
Have you given a thought to dessicated liver?

Aside from my latest purchase of protein, I normally only supplement with liver tabs throughout the day. It's an old bodybuilding/powerlifting staple. There isn't a horrible taste to it unless you allow the tablets to sit in your mouth (and, for your sake, don't chew them). I dose 4 tabs, 4 times every day - upon waking, between meals, and at bedtime.

Here's a little link (WFS) for the brand I use.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/univ/liver.html
Old 12-22-2012, 07:39 PM   #5
Joe Gomez

Profile:

I started taking 2 scoops of Nitrean + after Crossfit (I go at 6am) and feel way better. Before this, I would not eat until 11-12 because I was not hungry and felt like crap. Works for me, try it out.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:29 PM   #6
Chris Mason

Profile:

Necessary? No. Convenient? YES!

If you don't drink a shake be sure to have something to eat. It's that simple.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:29 PM   #7
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Gomez View Post
I started taking 2 scoops of Nitrean + after Crossfit (I go at 6am) and feel way better. Before this, I would not eat until 11-12 because I was not hungry and felt like crap. Works for me, try it out.
Thank you!
Old 01-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #8
Leyla Rose

Profile:

Thanks guys, you've all been really helpfull!
I'm in the midst of researching the liver tabs, Nitrean, and the egg white protein suggested- I'll let you know how I go and hopefully some other CrossFitters with fussy tummies will benefit from my experiments.

Cheers for the tip Ben!

Old 01-02-2013, 01:54 AM   #9
Crissilia Suta

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Necessary? No. Convenient? YES!

If you don't drink a shake be sure to have something to eat. It's that simple.
Totally agree. Don't over complicate it, whole and natural food sources are always the best option but not always the easiest. After a workout the first thing that pops to mind for me is - must feed muscles! Treat them preciously give them the nutrients they need to recover. If your workout is before breakfast, lunch or dinner I suggest to have a proper meal with real protein and veggies after. But any time in between, I find protein shakes to be much more convenient.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #10
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Thanks guys, you've all been really helpfull!
I'm in the midst of researching the liver tabs, Nitrean, and the egg white protein suggested- I'll let you know how I go and hopefully some other CrossFitters with fussy tummies will benefit from my experiments.

Cheers for the tip Ben!

If you are looking for a protein powder that will not upset a sensitive stomach then I highly recommend Nitrean+ or Opticen+ (if trying to gain). I have a very sensitive stomach and can handle both of them mixed with water with no problems. They taste very good too.