CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
Ruben Nunez

Profile:
3 weeks in - Addicted to crossfit! Questions about rest, weightloss, & benchmarks

Hello Everyone! I'm a newbie to crossfit and this is my first post. I just completed 3 weeks of 4 WODs a week at my local box and loving it!

Here's where I'm at right now...
5' 7", 30 yrs old, 193 lbs, sedentary lifestyle until recently joining a box.
I've been on paleo/primal diet for the last 8 months, where I lost 35lbs!

I was very athletic in high school, and only about 145 lbs, but since going to college and getting married gained about 85 lbs.

I lost 35 lbs of that on paleo, so I figure I have another 50 lbs more to go. I'm not that concerned so much about scale weight, but really want to get stronger and decrease substantially my BF%. I have a digital fat analyzer scale that's giving me a reading of 30%, and I want to get it to around 10%. A figure I was around 15% in high school without working too hard or caring about my diet, so I should be able to get it much lower as a dedicated crossfitter and my clean diet which I have nailed to a t.

So here are my questions based on all this:

1. Is there a recommended crossfit benchmark system to measure my gains on a regular basis, so I can see how much I've improved? I saw this pdf on the crossfit seattle's site that looks promising, but I don't know if there is an official one for crossfit.
http://crossfitseattle.com/wordpress...els-poster.pdf (WFS)

2. I'm currently going to my box 4 days on, 3 days off. What do you guys think? Is 4 days in a row too much, especially me as a newbie? Maybe 2 days on, 1 day off, 2 days on, 2 days off?

3. I'm considering running a mile on one of the 3 off days. Would that be counterproductive? I would like to build some stamina and jumpstart my fat loss. I've only lost 2 lbs in these last 3 weeks, although I can say for sure I'm stronger.

4. Unrelated to crossfit - How do I add my picture to my profile?

Last edited by Ruben Nunez; 04-09-2012 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: added one more question.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
Martin Rivera

Profile:
Re: 3 weeks in - Addicted to crossfit! Questions about rest, weightloss, & benchmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben Nunez View Post
4. Unrelated to crossfit - How do I add my picture to my profile?
I can help you with the your last request, 123 I will leave to the pro's to answer them. but you can add your pic through the profile, click on your private messages link on top right, then on your left you will see "Edit Avatar" click there, and you will have some options where to load from, hope that helps you and to the community. I am sure you will see huge results and with how determine you sound, you will reach your goals and then some very quickly.
<>< Philippians 4:13 • thecubefitness.com (WFS) • dsgear.com (WFS) • virusintl.com (WFS) •
Old 04-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: 3 weeks in - Addicted to crossfit! Questions about rest, weightloss, & benchmarks

1. Benchmarks are pretty useless, just keep getting better relative to you and don't waste time worrying about some arbitrary set of standards.

2. 4 in a row is a lot for anyone, particularly someone who was sedentary prior to starting. 2 on, 1 off, 2 on, 2 off would be a good way to structure your week.

3. What are your reasons for wanting to run a mile? It's unlikely to help fat loss or stamina and likely to overwork you. Let your rest days be rest days, and work hard on your training days.

4. User CP tab up top, then Edit Avatar tab on the left.

Additionally, I'd completely disregard any readings off your home bodyfat analyzer. Those things are laughably inaccurate even from one hour to the next. I'd also disregard the assumption that you'll easily get to a lower bodyfat level than you were at as a high school athlete...regardless of your ignorance of nutrition back then, you had a lot more factors working in your favor back then in terms of staying lean.

And this is just my opinion, but I don't understand why you'd want to get down to 145lbs as a grown man. That's tiny. Just keep getting stronger and faster and your weight will take care of itself....at your height, with any decent amount of muscle mass you'll probably weigh somewhere in the 160-170lb range.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
Ruben Nunez

Profile:

Thanks Martin for the help and the words of encouragement!

Thanks Eric as well. I mention benchmarks not so much as a standard to aim for, rather a way to measure my progress. It would probably be more accurate to call it a baseline fitness test. With the randomness of Crossfit WODs, It seems difficult to measure results accurately over a specific amount of time. The workouts seem to almost never repeat, and I would like to see where I am (and not) seeing improvements.

Great advice on the rest. I'm definitely going to switch out my days, and disregard the running.

I know the analyzer isn't really accurate. What I plan on doing is using it at the same time of the day at certain intervals so that I can track some sort of progress. Ideally I would get measured in a water tank or with calipers but I have no idea how to get any of those two things done in this area.

About the weight… Yeah, if I'm in the 160-170 range , lean, and with a nice amount of muscle that would be awesome. I was basing it off my younger self weight, and so didn't envision that's what a cross fitter at my height would weigh.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:12 PM   #5
Bryan Rowland

Profile:

If you were wanting to track your progress their are many sites that do that. I use beyond the whiteboard. As far as everything else it has been answered. I would wait a bit to start running talk to your coach and see what they think they see you and would know better than this board.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:40 PM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben Nunez View Post
Thanks Martin for the help and the words of encouragement!

Thanks Eric as well. I mention benchmarks not so much as a standard to aim for, rather a way to measure my progress. It would probably be more accurate to call it a baseline fitness test. With the randomness of Crossfit WODs, It seems difficult to measure results accurately over a specific amount of time. The workouts seem to almost never repeat, and I would like to see where I am (and not) seeing improvements.

Great advice on the rest. I'm definitely going to switch out my days, and disregard the running.

I know the analyzer isn't really accurate. What I plan on doing is using it at the same time of the day at certain intervals so that I can track some sort of progress. Ideally I would get measured in a water tank or with calipers but I have no idea how to get any of those two things done in this area.

About the weight… Yeah, if I'm in the 160-170 range , lean, and with a nice amount of muscle that would be awesome. I was basing it off my younger self weight, and so didn't envision that's what a cross fitter at my height would weigh.
A lot of people (like me, for instance) don't see much point in training at random if you want to see the best results. Those people would recommend that you do a program that follows some sort of logical progression, where improvement is evident on a near-daily basis. But even if you go with the random approach, you'll see workouts or strength days repeat every few months, which gives you enough time to measure progress.

Even if you use the analyzer at the same time each day, it can get thrown off by something as simple as your level of hydration or how recently you went to the bathroom. Seriously....ditch it. If you need a way to evaluate fat loss go by how you look in the mirror, how your clothes fit, or tape measurements.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:14 PM   #7
Craig Horstman

Profile:

these are all good questions to ask here, but i think they would be better answered by one of the coaches at your box. they have a little more knowledge of you and could make better recommendations for you.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:03 AM   #8
Milton Brisson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Horstman View Post
these are all good questions to ask here, but i think they would be better answered by one of the coaches at your box. they have a little more knowledge of you and could make better recommendations for you.
I would agree with this statement. Have a couple of 5 or 10 minute sit downs with one of the coaches at your box and determine what your goals are. For a new crosssfitter, things like 5 rep max back squat, max rep push-ups/dead hang pull-ups, 400m run time etc... are probably better metrics to measure your fitness than your Fran time.

One thing you will learn as you go along is: constantly varried =/= random when it comes to work outs. There should be a progression of some sort built in to the program....