CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
Craig Bravman

Profile:
different programming templates

I have looked at many crossfit gym site and noticed to workout template is the same. I was wondering if any owners could explain their style and reason. Some follow a main main site style, w, gmw. wgm, etc. Some have every friday is a hero workout, eyc, while others do more of a cfsb style. Any reason>
Old 03-08-2011, 12:47 AM   #2
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Re: different programming templates

Every trainer programs based on three things, what they like, what they think works, and what they are experimenting with... If any of those three vary between programmers you'll get vastly different outcomes
Old 03-08-2011, 01:23 AM   #3
Craig Bravman

Profile:

i understand that, but i was more wondering if they could describe their template and why they feel it works.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:37 AM   #4
Justin McGinley

Profile:

I can only speak for my gym.

I don't have any true fire breathers at my gym. I have a gym full of "regular" people(MMA hobbyists, new moms, older guys with bad backs, policemen, active military(all branches), and 9-5ers). So I program in a way that will (in my opinion) maximize their progress.

Our normal class
starts with a group warm-up(mobility work, agility and running drills, fun stuff)
10-15 minutes of skill work (dead hang pull-ups, Oly progressions, squat variants, gymnastic work, KB skill work, double unders, etc)
15-20 minutes of strength work(Oly lifts, squats, deadlifts, presses, weighted pull-ups)
finish with a 4-25 minute metcon(most under 15 minutes).

95% of the time, all of our members set PRs when they touch a barbell, and everyone (yes every single time) PRs when we repeat benchmark WODs, so it is working.

You can click on the link in my signature to see our programming. It is simple and people are having a lot of fun with it. Would these people also get fitter with different programming? Heck yeah, any decently smart blend of strength work and conditioning will improve someones fitness. But what we are doing is working, no one is getting hurt, and everyone is making some serious gains, so we'll keep doing this until the progress stops happening.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:59 AM   #5
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

As a newer affiliate open 7 months I have found strength to be the biggest issue. My clients improved the fastest on met-cons. I'm currently running a strength bias until we reach a level of strength that we don't need major scaling of all girls and Heroes.

We are also still shedding weight in many cases. As more clients have success with Paleo diet and losing weight the other clients get more interested. It becomes a positive reinforcing cycle. As the clients get lighter things like kipping pull-ups, rope climbs and hand stand push-ups become possible.

Clients expect me to be able to do everything and have six-pack abs. When they see other clients transform it seems to become more of a reality that they can do it as well.

When the woman who works in a bank call center all day looses her belly through CrossFit and Paleo the other clients are like if she can do it, I can do it.

As my client base becomes stronger I expect my main programing will drift more towards main site.

I guess that was the long way of saying I program to my client's current needs.

Last edited by Brendan McNamar; 03-08-2011 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: correction