CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 11-06-2010, 09:43 PM   #1
Jason Villaruz

Profile:
Is it possible to get a shin splint here (pic)?

Started hurting after a run about 5 days ago and hasn't gotten better. I looked up peroneal tendonitis but the pics on google show that to be much closer to the ankle. What is this!?!? Thanks for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	372.9 KB
ID:	7169  
Old 11-06-2010, 10:45 PM   #2
James Francis

Profile:
Re: Is it possible to get a shin splint here (pic)?

Nope...could be a 'high' angle sprain?
Old 11-07-2010, 04:47 AM   #3
Joshua Gritton

Profile:

Deff not shin splints as they run along the front of the shin next to the bone predominantly on the left side. I agree with the sprain idea or a lightly pulled calf muscle if you are changing running styles from regular to pose or barefoot its a high possibility for a calf strain.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:58 AM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

It's 90% peroneal tendonitis. Pain pattern is usually slightly lower but it can be higher.

Technically its possible it could be "shin splits" too because the peroneal muscles do originate on the bones in that area. But usually pain pattern would likely be much higher for that.

wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2010/1...g-on-the-feet/

It's 99.99% not a high ankle sprain. He would've felt that as an acute injury. It COULD be a strain of the peroneals too... likely the other 10% of the equation up top.

There's honestly not enough information to tell. Was OP overdoing running? What workouts have been going on for the past month? Any other orthopedic problems like flat feet, etc?

Last edited by Steven Low; 11-07-2010 at 09:03 AM..
Old 11-07-2010, 12:49 PM   #5
Brent Sallee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
It's 90% peroneal tendonitis. Pain pattern is usually slightly lower but it can be higher.

Technically its possible it could be "shin splits" too because the peroneal muscles do originate on the bones in that area. But usually pain pattern would likely be much higher for that.

wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2010/1...g-on-the-feet/

It's 99.99% not a high ankle sprain. He would've felt that as an acute injury. It COULD be a strain of the peroneals too... likely the other 10% of the equation up top.

There's honestly not enough information to tell. Was OP overdoing running? What workouts have been going on for the past month? Any other orthopedic problems like flat feet, etc?
Yeah, fibularis/peroneus tendonitis was my first thought as well. I have seen some cases of shin splints/anterior compartment syndrome where pain originates on the lateral aspect of the leg, but it's not that common.

Try icing it and doing some light massage on the area. Also, cut back activities that make it hurt. I'd guess those would include jumping and running in particular. If the pain doesn't alleviate, go see a physical therapist who can give you some exercises and do some soft tissue work on it.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:56 PM   #6
Jason Villaruz

Profile:

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking peroneal tendonitis but was hoping it was muscle soreness. As for workouts, I just started running again about 1.5 months ago after 9 months of recurring PTT in both legs. Started out slow 1.5 miles 3 days/week and last week was up to 2.25 mi 3 days/week (which I figured would be nothing since before I got PTT I was running about 25 mi/week). The problems started (as they usually do) when I whipped out the watch and started timing my runs. Even though I tell myself to run nice and easy I always end up pressuring myself to finish just a little faster than last time. I've got no orthopedic problems but I'm just a horrible runner in general. I've had just about every running injury over the last two years alone even after changing foot striking patterns a year ago.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:05 PM   #7
Jon West

Profile:

could be soleus strain too. Have you been doing dead lifts along with your running as well? I've strained it from heavy deads myself.