CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-31-2007, 03:06 PM   #1
Dion Harvey

Profile:
I read an interview on T-Nation. Someone named Art Devany suggested that not taking a post workout shake would help spike growth hormone levels. I know the basics of nutrition but am not as well versed as some people. He didn't explain how long after a workout you should wait so I'm not sure if he meant an hour or hours. Any thoughts???
Old 03-31-2007, 03:26 PM   #2
Nick Cummings

Profile:

I do a post workout whey and bcaa. Then I do a glass of grape juice with creatine. I am not sure if it makes a diffrence or not. One of these days I will figure out a way to test it and maybe follow through with it.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:09 PM   #3
Sam Lepore

Profile:
I always thought Devaney wanted you to wait at least an hour to an hour and half.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:47 PM   #4
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Safe link

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=1 5866225&dopt=Abstract

Curious to see how others interpret this..
Old 04-01-2007, 08:01 AM   #5
Dion Harvey

Profile:
Thanks for the link Kevin but if someone can please translate that into english for me I would really appreciate it. Just kidding, a little. I think I might know what the study is suggesting but with all of the scientific lingo I can't be to sure and I don't want to assume.

Where did you read that Sam? In the interview I read Devany didn't say how long to wait. That statement has sparked my curiousity and if there is a way to increase growth hormone and testosterone response then I'll give it a try.

Thanks a lot for your responses guys.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:29 PM   #6
Jason Billows

Profile:
Interesting. Cordain's book The Paleo Diet for Athletes recommends just the opposite. His reasoning is that you want to replenish the glycogen stores in the muscles and get the muscles rebuilding as soon as possible so that you are better prepared for your next workout.

Cordain notes that the best time to do this is the 30 minutes immediately following your workout. Apparently consuming protein and high GI carbs during that time window allows the body to rebuild quickly because the muscles are ready to take in the nutrients they need. If you wait for an hour or longer the muscles don't use the nutrients as quickly and so rebuilding takes longer.

If anyone is familiar with both sides of the argument I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:41 PM   #7
Thomas Covington

Profile:
I have always read & followed protein(whey) + fast carbs afterwards is the best routine. It worked for me as I went from 145 to 200ish in 2 years. This is following a bodybuilding/mass program however. I currently follow my workouts with a post-recover protein shake(fatty acids + why & caesin) + quick carbs(applesauce/grapes) and it seems to replenish my energy levels quite well.

(Message edited by covinth on April 02, 2007)
Old 04-02-2007, 05:00 PM   #8
Sam Lepore

Profile:
Dion-

99% sure I read this in the Performance Menu. Issue 1

http://www.performancemenu.com/backi...sue&issueNum=1