CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-22-2009, 06:07 AM   #1
Michael Whities

Profile:
Which C2 model?

Can anyone help identify this one? I found it on CriagsList and it's only about an hour away. He's asking 600.00, but I wanted all of your opinions first.

C2 Rower(WFS)

Quote:
I have had it for 8 years. I have used it a great deal. It is a fantastic work-out. Easy to set-up and break-down. Light weight.
From the seller.

Michael
Old 05-22-2009, 06:14 AM   #2
Kris Reeves

Profile:
Re: Which C2 model?

It's a model C. I think 6-hundski is a little high if he has 'used it a great deal'. As well, if I were purchasing it, I would want to upgrade the monitor & handle so I'd mentally keep that in mind as far as your total out of pocket cost.

I know C2's retain their value...but if it were me, I'd just plunk the extra 3 hundred down and have a new one with the PM3 and new handle.

If he really used it 'a lot', I think 400-500 is a more fair price...not a steal...just fair.

Model C (wfs)

Last edited by Kris Reeves; 05-22-2009 at 06:23 AM.. Reason: Added Link
Old 05-22-2009, 06:42 AM   #3
Dan Crawley

Profile:

It's def. the model C. I have 2, both bought in the Boston area off Craigslist. I paid $400 for one and $450 for the other, so $600 seems pretty high to me (you can get a model D w/PM3 monitor shipped for $900 online).
I've never had an issue with the monitors or the handles so you'll have to decide for yourself if replacing them is something yo want do do.
-Dan
Old 05-22-2009, 06:56 AM   #4
Kris Reeves

Profile:

At minimum, I'd upgrade the handle. It's about 4000% more comfortable than the straight handle.

But to each his own...
Old 05-22-2009, 07:47 AM   #5
Kevin Ziegenhorn

Profile:

600 is too much for a C. I'd expect a heavily used C to be less than 400, less than 300 if it has a PM2 and the straight handle.

For crossfit purposes, I think C is the right model if you need to be able to break it down for storage, and B if you don't.

I paid 400 for a relatively unused C with a PM3 and the original handle.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:07 AM   #6
Michael Whities

Profile:

Thanks all for your replies. I figured that would be too much for it. If I go look at it, what should I look for? I know most (if not all) parts can be replaced.

Would 200.00 be to little to offer? I'd like the C to break it down since I am somewhat limited on space in my garage.

Thanks again all.

Michael
Old 05-22-2009, 09:08 AM   #7
Wendy Nelson

Profile:

When you see it in person here is how you can check the "mileage" so to speak, see pics below.

The C2 website has the complete manual for download with recommendations for general maintenance. So ask the guy how often he oiled the chain or vacuumed out the damper thingy and if he gives you a blank stare might get you a lower price. Or if he did maintain it per the C2 maint. schedule you can feel better about a higher price. I just got mine for $500.00 bucks and it seems to be in really good shape over all. I probably could have offered less but I was so ecstatic to finally be the first one to call on a rower ad!

Good Luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	row 1.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	4232   Click image for larger version

Name:	row 2.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	4233   Click image for larger version

Name:	row 3.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	4234  
Old 05-22-2009, 09:12 AM   #8
Michael Whities

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Nelson View Post
When you see it in person here is how you can check the "mileage" so to speak, see pics below.

The C2 website has the complete manual for download with recommendations for general maintenance. So ask the guy how often he oiled the chain or vacuumed out the damper thingy and if he gives you a blank stare might get you a lower price. Or if he did maintain it per the C2 maint. schedule you can feel better about a higher price. I just got mine for $500.00 bucks and it seems to be in really good shape over all. I probably could have offered less but I was so ecstatic to finally be the first one to call on a rower ad!

Good Luck
What would be a good, so-so, and bad "mileage"? He noted he's used it a lot so, I figure it should be quite high, if the monitor works.... What size batteries does it take? I'll bring them incase he says they are dead.

I definitely will not carry 600.00 with me. I guess I'l tell him that on the phone first though. If he declines that, then I'll move on.

Thanks and I'll keep you all posted.

Michael
Old 05-22-2009, 09:31 AM   #9
Wendy Nelson

Profile:

The monitor takes two double AA batteries. I'm not sure what the mileage says about the rower, hopefully someone else will comment. I just stumbled across the mileage thing while reading up on my new rower.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:24 PM   #10
Todd Condell

Profile:

Mike
Each C2 needs to be looked over. I have maintained and replaced part to keep my Model C close to new condition. They are not difficult to maintain or fix. The shock cord usually is a sign of wear if it does not retract quickly. It also could be a sign that handle was left in the holder when not in use not against the case. Inspect the chain and make sure it is flexible. Flip the rower over and inspect the shock cord and chain and pulleys. Look at the chain sprocket that is generally a good indication of wear and use. Get the fan moving and listen to the bearing in the housing if it makes any noise it needs grease and may need replacing. Make sure the rollers on the seat move freely and look for rust. All of this helps you judge whether the rower is worth it.
In regards to the monitor the PM2 is much better for crossfit workout than the PM3 or 4. You have to reset it quite often for many of the workouts so the PM2 wins hands down for most crossfit workouts. As for the rower's handle I find both the C and D's handles work fine and really not much difference between them. If you hold the handle correctly your hands are on the ends so I don't notice the difference. Others may but I also know the you have stated before that you have only one arm so actually the model c's wooden handle will be much easier for you to use with one arm because it is round and consistent in size where the model D's handle widens at the centerpoint and thus making it more difficult to use with one hand. I hope that helps Mike.

Last edited by Todd Condell; 05-22-2009 at 06:33 PM..