CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-16-2009, 06:24 PM   #11
Rick Morris

Profile:
Re: regular bar for crossfit?

I came across an interesting solution on the website for Crossfit Africa (workplace/family safe)

http://crossfitafrica.blogspot.com/s...OD%20Photo%27s

It seems they just use regular iron plates and put rubber mats underneath them to cushion the impact. They also do some exercises on grass for extra shock absorption. I'm sure they still don't throw the weights around.

I know this is not a perfect solution, but it seems to work for them.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:46 AM   #12
Mike Onghena

Profile:
Re: regular bar for crossfit?

Definitely be sure to get an olympic bar (with big holes), even if it is a cheap one. The olympic ones have ends which spin independent of the middle of the bar. The spinning ends allow you to easily rotate the bar from one hand position, like during a clean, to another without needing to spin all that weight too. It makes a big difference.

Also, I think it is easier to find large (standard?) diameter plates (they come with the sets) for olympic bars. Large diameter plates are useful to put the bar at the proper height for deadlift and friends. A bar and a pair of 45's even in a a cheap olympic set are proper deadlift height. That same weight in a standard set is probably too low to the ground, unless you go out of your way to find big plates for a 1" bar..