CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-09-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
Jeffrey Hensley

Profile:
Looking for a solid program with limited equip.

Me:
17 year old senior highschool
5'11, 171#, about 10-12% bodyfat

Background:
Been crossfitting since August of 2011 when I saw the Games on Espn 2 for the first time, and since then have been hooked. Coincidentally since August of this year I have been getting into a routine and am currently now sticking with a base program for my training. I am pretty limited at the moment with equipment; I have 2 sets of dumbbells, one med. ball, 24" and 26" plyo boxes, a flimsy speed rope, foam roller, a pair of resistance bands, pull-up bar, pvc pipe for warmups, my body, and running shoes. As of next week I plan on getting some DIY projects done for a new plyo box (probably 30"), a 20lb. wall ball, and parrallettes, with the eventual project for a homemade sled. With this equipment, plus some random items such as cinder blocks and whatever else I can find to use I have been able to do sealfit and mainsite wods to a certain extent.

Where I am now:
I have been following sealfits daily wods as best as I can for about 3 weeks now, with what is going to be my the start of my 4th tomorrow. My focus has been on building up my bodyweight strength and conditioning as best as I can until I am able to both acquire better equipment, and also until I start college next year. Over the course of time I have learned how to do most bodyweight movements well except for the more technical movements which I am working on; handstand pushups, double unders, muscle ups, and kipping pull-ups.

My Plan:
To follow the sealfit site as best as possible until I have access to a gym (then the real fun begins) and also to use the mainsite with whatever else I need. I plan on following the wods for the 2013 Open, Regionals, and Games (but I will not be competing as I know I am nowhere near the level of the elite crossfitters) so that I can see how I stack up against others and as a great test to see what I need to work on. I am a very dedicated hardworker and plan on seeing where my fitness takes me with the possibility of making my debut in the 2014 Crossfit Open.

My Diet Plan:
"Zone/Paleo." I am currently focusing on eating to build strength and size while following a clean eating plan. My maintenance along with workouts 5 times/week is around 2400 cal, so probably around 3000 cal for strength building. I do eat oats and was having whole wheat/grain bread for a few weeks for pre workout to see how my body did with it under various circumstances. Needless to say I didn't notice any differences and will be eliminating it again. As far as this plan goes I will be sticking to higher calories on most days as I play Varsity Basketball and my in season starts this weekend through till mid March.

Questions:
Is my current plan effective at all or should I look into following a different plan during my season? (note I have been using Sealfit with some minor changes to the runs/rucks to meet my current goals and demands, and have noticed my endurance go up pretty steadily.)
Should I post what I am currently eating in a day so that my diet can be critiqued if needed?
Any ideas about gear and equipment to look into because I plan on making purchases and builds during the rest of this month?

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I'm sorry it was long but I wanted to get a base started so there was something to work with.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
William Burton

Profile:
Re: Looking for a solid program with limited equip.

You can make a home-made t-bar for kettlebell swings/goblet squats for about $12 in parts from a hardware store (I've seen plans on multiple places, so just google for them) and no special tools needed. Buy the cheapest 25 lbs plates you can find to put on it and you'll greatly increase the number of exercises you can do.

Might also want to make a sandbag as well (or several small sandbags that can be loaded into a bigger bag to adjust the weight).
Old 12-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #3
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

i would not recommend doing sealfit or any other demanding workout program while playing varsity basketball. the basketball will give you all the conditioning, running, sprinting, agility, jumping, endurance work you need. adding in sealfit on top of that will not lead to progress. some FM pushup and pullup work 3 or 4 days, or maybe some weight pushups or pullups two times a week would be fine. if you don't have access to heavy weights to lift then i wouldn't add too much on top of basketball. as for equipment, there is no substitute for a barbell with weights. if you can add only one thing to that make it a squat rack.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
Kolin Theede

Profile:

I would do my best to get some type of barbell and weights. Look on Craigslist and things like that to see if you can get even just a cheap one. Until then use as much weight as you can get your hands on and master the technique of body weight movements. I am 17 as well, but I also coach other high schoolers at my box. The biggest reason why most of our high schoolers can't lift big weight is because they don't have good basic body weight movement.