CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 04-26-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
Tim Squires

Profile:
Snatch/C&J Analysis Check

Here are two quick coaches eye videos regarding bar path/back angles for an 80ish% snatch and clean and jerk. Besides general comments, I'm looking for opinions on how correct/incorrect the analysis is. The lifts in full speed are at the end if the video. Thanks.

http://youtu.be/ilbDXzVDQHs

http://youtu.be/3XYihwFoTVk
Old 04-26-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
Tim Squires

Profile:
Re: Snatch/C&J Analysis Check

Perhaps no comments is good news?
Old 04-27-2013, 03:50 AM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Didn't you post these on Glenn's forum? I thought I saw them over there.

Your analysis is pretty much dead on.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #4
Tim Squires

Profile:

Yup...was hoping Glenn or Don would chime in. Specifically on the over pulling in the snatch video. Thanks.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:44 AM   #5
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Need to work on the receiving flexibility and foot position.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:16 AM   #6
Patrick Costello

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Squires View Post
Here are two quick coaches eye videos regarding bar path/back angles for an 80ish% snatch and clean and jerk. Besides general comments, I'm looking for opinions on how correct/incorrect the analysis is. The lifts in full speed are at the end if the video. Thanks.

http://youtu.be/ilbDXzVDQHs

http://youtu.be/3XYihwFoTVk
These are actually really good looking lifts. The clean and jerk is pretty solid. Great pulls and great speed. Just curious...are you self-coached?

For the snatch, I'd agree that you're probably over pulling. Side by side, the top of the pull of your snatch compared to your clean are two very different extensions. It could be because it's physically more weight on the clean that's keeping you grounded, but you manage to catch some hang time at the top of your snatch and have a lot more lay back.

Overall, I'd say it's pretty minor. The only thing that's glaring to me is your knees diving in when you receive the snatch. Your feet seem to be much wider in the bottom of the snatch than in the clean so maybe do a little work on that receiving position.

Great job.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
Tim Squires

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Costello View Post
These are actually really good looking lifts. The clean and jerk is pretty solid. Great pulls and great speed. Just curious...are you self-coached?

For the snatch, I'd agree that you're probably over pulling. Side by side, the top of the pull of your snatch compared to your clean are two very different extensions. It could be because it's physically more weight on the clean that's keeping you grounded, but you manage to catch some hang time at the top of your snatch and have a lot more lay back.

Overall, I'd say it's pretty minor. The only thing that's glaring to me is your knees diving in when you receive the snatch. Your feet seem to be much wider in the bottom of the snatch than in the clean so maybe do a little work on that receiving position.

Great job.
Self coached, yes. Thanks for the comments. I'm very aware of the difference between the top of my extension in the snatch and clean, but not really sure what to change. I've tried to cue pushing through my heels and jumping back slightly to limit the over pulling but haven't really been successful with it.

In regards to the receiving position, the bottom of the OHS has always been tough for me but has gotten better. In my clean/front squat I can get much deeper and reach butt to calves sometime. My butt and calves aren't even in the same solar system when it comes to snatching. Most likely poor shoulder mobility? Thanks again.