CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-20-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
Sabino Gonzalez

Profile:
Third day of crossfit today!!

I have been wanting to start Crossfit for a while now but things always came up to prevent this. Luckly there are now two crossfit gyms withnin two miles of my house! The price difference between the two is $60 a month so it made the choice easy. I am really excited and just ready to change my life back to the athlete I once was.

I used to be able to run a 5:10 mile..........
I used to bench press 315 ten times.....
I used to be able to run 1/2 marathons.....
I used to be able to ride my bicycle for 100 miles with only a couple of stops..
I used to be able to dunk a basketball......
I used to weigh 190 pounds and do the above.....

I started on Monday and I feel like I can barely move right now. I believe in the "no pain no gain" but that initial soreness that you get when you havent done anything really hurts.

I am 6'2" and 260 pounds.

I am fat but not a sloppy fat that you normally visualize when you think 260.

The plan is to get smaller and stronger, I think my ideal weight is between 215 and 220 (220 is my goal, today I just dont think I can go back to 190)

I basically have not done anything in the past two years and ballooned up to my current size. I look forward to sharing my success with you guys.
I am tired of being called "big man" by everyone

From the first two days, basically everything from my waist to my neck hurts with muscle soreness.

The work outs have been amrap of pushups, burpees, wall ball, air squats and leg raises.

I go to Brazosport Crossfit in Clute, TX.

The plan is to go Mon - Wed, rest Thurs and then go back on Friday.
Run on Saturday and rest on Sunday.
Repeat

as always my eating habits are the hardest to change.
What I am going to do is eat a good breakfast of fruits or protein shake
Eat "normally" for lunch with my coworkers
and then grilled meats with fresh veggies for dinner.

I figure two out of my 3 meals will be good so we will see how I much I can improve from now.

Up to now my meals have been, no breakfast, fast food for lunch and take out for dinner with ice cream two or three times a week and pizza once or twice a week!!! Actually when I think about it I dont know how I am not bigger and more out of shape than I actually am.

Wish me luck
and thanks for all the info on a great site
Old 06-21-2012, 03:00 AM   #2
Craig Horstman

Profile:
Re: Third day of crossfit today!!

i'm no pro by any stretch of the imagination, but i would say (and i'm sure others will agree) that you should eat more than 3 times a day, especially trying to lose weight. 5-6 times a day. 3 meals and 3-6 snacks a day. breakfast can be big, but keep the other 2 meals and your snacks small. helps to boost your metabolism. lots of lean meats, veggies, some fruits, stay away from sugar and processed foods, and LOTS of water. good luck
Old 06-23-2012, 07:03 PM   #3
Mark Siegrist

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabino Gonzalez View Post
as always my eating habits are the hardest to change.
What I am going to do is eat a good breakfast of fruits or protein shake
Eat "normally" for lunch with my coworkers
and then grilled meats with fresh veggies for dinner.
If you're looking to lose weight then your approach is a recipe for failure. Research has shown time and again that working out by itself is not enough to lose weight. While building muscle will make you look better, if you're fat then the way to get that down is by changing your diet for the long-term.

For breakfast, eat real food. While fruit is real food, it is also nature's Snickers bar. It is sugar/fructose and will just make you hungrier as the day goes on. Do yourself a favor and eat eggs and bacon/sausage. It's a pain to make but it'll make you feel full (aside from tasting good). For lunch, eating "normally" as you put it sounds like a trip to Wendy's or McDonalds or the local diner for cheeseburger and fries. Skip that crap and eat a salad with as much dietary fat and protein on it as you can find. Your dinner plan is the one bright spot in your approach : )

I'm a beginner crossfitter but I managed to lose ~70lbs of fat (down from 260!) in a matter of months, a couple of years ago. And I didn't do a single workout during that time. I only came to CrossFit because I wanted to get stronger/fitter. Trust me - you're working off of the old, failed paradigm that simply working out will result in significant, long-term weight loss. It definitely won't work long-term, and likely not short-term aside from a ~10lb water weight drop.

mark
www.lowcarblearning.com
www.paleolearning.com

Last edited by Mark Siegrist; 06-23-2012 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: clarify comment
Old 06-24-2012, 09:27 AM   #4
Sabino Gonzalez

Profile:

Thanks for the advice. I know there are probably faster ways of losing weight or better ways of eating, but isnt my plan better than what I was doing before? I would assume I would have to lose weight just because I wont be eating pizza and ice cream several times per week.

I will try and add some hardboiled eggs to my breakfast to add the natural protein to breakfast.

I will keep you all updated.

So far its been 5 pounds since last Sunday!!!

The sorness from this weeks WODs is almost completely gone and I cant wait to start over again tomorrow. I signed up for 3 months

later
Old 06-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #5
Craig Horstman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabino Gonzalez View Post
Thanks for the advice. I know there are probably faster ways of losing weight or better ways of eating, but isnt my plan better than what I was doing before? I would assume I would have to lose weight just because I wont be eating pizza and ice cream several times per week.

I will try and add some hardboiled eggs to my breakfast to add the natural protein to breakfast.

I will keep you all updated.

So far its been 5 pounds since last Sunday!!!

The sorness from this weeks WODs is almost completely gone and I cant wait to start over again tomorrow. I signed up for 3 months

later
anything that cleans up the diet is a plus and will help, but eating clean and more often are going to give you better results faster. by eating clean obviously you're cutting out the crap and by eating more often you're going to up your metabolism which is going to allow you to burn fat faster/give your body the energy it needs to run all day without causing it to store fat to use as energy later.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
Joe C Thomas

Profile:

Hey man! Congrats on your start and for the initial weight loss. That's great! There's also lots of ways to improve without having to be "that weird annoying guy that won't eat anything". Work lunches, for example. If you're like me then you're on the road a lot and your options are usually McDonald's or Wendy's. Every place has a grilled chicken option. Get two Grilled Chicken sandwiches, toss the bread, load the veggies, with no fries and water. There you go. A helluvalot better than a Big Mac, Large Fry, and a Large Dr Pepper!

Just sayin, being perfect is awesome, but sometimes practical is good enough. Good luck, and if you slip, just get back on that horse!! DON'T QUIT!
Old 06-28-2012, 07:20 PM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Horstman View Post
anything that cleans up the diet is a plus and will help, but eating clean and more often are going to give you better results faster. by eating clean obviously you're cutting out the crap and by eating more often you're going to up your metabolism which is going to allow you to burn fat faster/give your body the energy it needs to run all day without causing it to store fat to use as energy later.
That "eat more often to stoke your metabolism" theory has been proven to be a complete myth. As long as you get a decent number of calories, macronutrients, vitamins, and minerals in during the day it doesn't matter how you divide them up.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:38 AM   #8
Craig Horstman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
That "eat more often to stoke your metabolism" theory has been proven to be a complete myth. As long as you get a decent number of calories, macronutrients, vitamins, and minerals in during the day it doesn't matter how you divide them up.
then i retract my statement